Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
segaholic456
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I plan on getting a Saturn down the road when I get some extra cash and want to find some cool games for it.
I have played Sonic 1-3 and Sonic and Knuckles on the Genesis and Sonic Adventure 1,2 and Sonic Shuffle on the Dreamcast.
Those are the only 7 Sonic games I played, liked them all.

The only 2 I know about for the Saturn is Sonic 3d blast which I heard was a horrible game both on Saturn and Genisis because of camera issues. And I remember someone in a game store said "Sonic R was a sick game", but I don't know if he ment it in a good or bad way. What would you recomend?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Unfortunatly I don't think there are any "must have" Sonic games on the Saturn. Between Sonic R and Blast, I think Blast is the better game. Sonic R just seemed a bit too much like a tech demo to me.
Posted:
Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:17 am
quote : #3
Sonic R is pretty rough. It's a "racing" game, in that you run around on a track, but there are a ton of alternate routes to take, and different characters have different abilities (Tails can fly, Knuckles can glide, etc). I felt like the characters moved way too fast for their turning radius, and it was very hard for me to play the game without bumping into everything in the level. Some people really enjoyed it though, and it's not super rare on the Saturn, so my recommendation would be to youtube a few gameplay clips and see if it's something you think you might want to play.

Sonic 3D Blast is interesting, but it's very difficult to play using a d-pad. If you have an analog controller for the Saturn it's a little better, but even though it was kind of a new take on the traditional Sonic style, it's not a very good game. A downported version is also available on the Genesis, but as much as I hate to admit it, you'd be a lot better playing that game on one of the Sonic or Genesis compilations on the PS2/PS3/360/whatever, since the game is really only playable with an analog stick.

If you end up getting a Saturn, I'd recommend you get a mod chip for it, and download Sonic Jam. Sonic Jam is a compilation of older Sonic the Hedgehog games (Sonic 1, 2, 3, S&K, and even Blue Sphere) for the Saturn, but with a few additions. There are altered difficulty modes and time attacks, as well as the ability to use the Spin Dash in the original Sonic the Hedgehog, which changes up the play style a bit (although purists say it's like cheating).

The real allure to Sonic Jam is called Sonic World. Sonic World is a large 3D level you can explore that includes a bunch of different buildings that you can enter. There is a soundtrack building, a manual building, a movie clip building, a concept art building, etc. There is also a timed ring collecting game in the level. Sonic World is pretty cool just as a tech demo of how a 3D Sonic game might have looked on the Saturn, previous the Sonic Adventure. It does a very good job of presenting a large, bright, colorful, fast moving environment that was the trademark of classic Sega's arcade games, and is a nice showcase for what the Saturn was capable of in the right hands.

Other than that, you're pretty much bupkis on Sonic games on the Saturn. The Saturn was an incredible system, but it had a lot of problems, and one of them was the complete lack of a solid flagship Sonic game right out of the gate (or at all). Sega realized this later on, and that is why Sonic Adventure was a launch title for the DC, but unfortunately executive squabbling and the intense rivalry between the US and Japanese sections of Sega at the time basically kept that game from being made. Google "Sonic X-Treme" if you want to learn more.

I'd definitely recommend picking up a Saturn at some point if you like classic Sega games though. It has a really fun library with some unique games (including a lot of awesome Sega arcade conversions), the type you don't really see too often anymore. It is also the go-to system for console ports of the 2D fighting and FPS games of the mid 90s.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:03 am
quote : #4
I never thought about the d-pad vs analog stick situation with Sonic 3D Blast. I will have to try it with the d-pad to see if it is harder to play.
Posted:
Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
I agree with Einhander. When I had my Saturn, Sonic Jam was one of my favourite games, although as he said, it is basically just a combination of previous megadrive games. The Sonic World part is pretty fun for what it is, but it kind of leaves you wishing that they would of just developed a full 3D sonic game for the Saturn.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:04 pm
quote : #6
Wasn't the sound emulatrion on Sonic Jam "tinny", like most attempts to emulate the MegaDrive/Genesis sound chip? I know that was one of the complaints for ThunderForce Gold 1 & 2.
Posted:
Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:43 am
quote : #7
The sonic jam sound emulation isn't bad. It doesn't have the fuller sound of a model 1, but hey, neither did the model 2. The one complaint I would have is that every time the BGM changes, it takes a second to change over as the system loads the new music.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:42 am
quote : #8
Just imagine the Saturn uses vinyl, and it has to pick up the needle to change tracks Wink