Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
nectarisneo
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice on recommended components for setting up a PC-DC server. I already have a Windows 98 machine with 256 megs of ram and a Dreamcast with both the revision A and B modems. After reviewing several online guides, I spent the better part of a weekend trying to build a working system using two different PCI modems with and without the voltage inducer but didn't have any luck. At this point I'm considering either the Netopia 2020/Teltone method or possibly the external serial modem method. Will any external 56k serial modem work? I would like to try to keep the cost of this project as reasonable as possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts on specific parts that get the best results that can be used with the items that I already have? I've also read about usb modems being used but am reluctant to try one of those due to potential compatibility issues. The external serial modem option sounds appealing to me because from what I've read I wouldn't have to worry about trying to find drivers. Also, do all external serial modems provide line voltage?

Thanks for reading my post. I appreciate any help that could be provided.

Neoblast
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:12 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Honestly, if you want the best compatibility, you should set up a dc-pc on linux.
It's much better, works with all games on a much more updated system.

The win98 works ok, but you end up having some troubles with certain games or apps.

nectarisneo
rank 1
Posted:
Wed May 01, 2013 5:51 pm
quote : #3
Thank you for the information. Is there a particular guide that you recommend for setting up the Linux server?

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
The Linux server is a reliable option, but if you're not familiar with Linux and you run into problems it can take a lot of learning and troubleshooting.

The netopia option is the most foolproof but also the most expensive.

Personally, I use a RAS server that I bought on eBay. It's old(er) telephony hardware that an ISP could use to provide dialup access to customers. It works great and cost me $20, but there was a learning curve involved in setting it up.

I've had a lot of success in the past using a windows 98 PC-DC setup in a virtual machine environment. I would recommend trying this first.

As far as modems, a serial modem is the way to go. I have a spare sitting around that I'd let go for $25 plus shipping. PM if interested.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
WildCard
rank 5
Posted:
Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Just an FYI as well, you may want to run some tests with various ICMP and low level internet commands to make sure your ISP isn't blocking that type of traffic.

I have a Netopia setup and can only play the games that had broadband support (PSO,Q3 and the web browser). After spending almost of cost of 2 BBA's to replace my entire home network I still can't play the dial-up only games and basically threw all that money in the trash to find out that my ISP is likely to blame.

Hopefully nobody else will have to find out the hard way like I did.