Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
bluebadge11
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Very Happy Hello, Fellow DC fanatics! Today I will show you how to download, burn and play Sega Dreamcast homebrew games. (this technique also works with official Dreamcast games, if you can find the file for them.

What you will need:

A Dreamcast

A CD (CD-R with 80 minutes and 700 megabytes)
Discjuggler which you can download here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/burning/padus_disc_juggler.cfm (other programs such as Boot Dreams can be used) The demo of discjuggler can be used without any trouble which is what you will be downloading here
And a game to download.

Step 1: After you have installed discjuggler and have your CD by your side you need to get a game. Find a Dreamcast game (for example:Utopia Boot Disc) with .CDi at the end of it. These files will come zipped and will need to be extracted before you can use them. the .CDi icon is a disc with a piece of paper behind it.

Step 2: Here comes the easy part. Open up Disc juggler, Click OK, Burn disc images, and then click on the piece of paper with the cd under the word source and click on the .CDi file wherever you put it. Now click on advanced (next to Source & Destination). Here are the settings you will need:
Set mode from Audio to MODE 2

Click on RAW write.

If your .cdi file is over 700 megabytes (or bigger than your cd can handle) you can store up to 150 megabytes more with the overburn option checked. To see how much your cdi file is click on it in it's folder and you will see how many megabytes it is. If you have a 700 megabyte CD (like I do) then you can put up to 850 megabytes on it with overburn.
Set the method bar to the slowest.

Make 1 copy

Then click start and wait until the cd ejects! Congrats! If your game doesn't work/ reads as an audio cd either power off then on the Dreamcast and put it back in or if it won't work at all then repeat this process with a game called the Utopia Boot Disc.

To use Utopia boot disc: insert it into your dreamcast once it has loaded eject it and put your game into the disc tray.

I hope I could help you all burn your Dreamcast games! Thanks for reading!

Also: This does not provide links to any pirated software as disc juggler demo is a totally legal program and I am showing off the demo here.
Sonic Adventure 2
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:18 pm
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Cool man, thanks for the tutorial Wink

Homebrew is always a good thing, and its great that the DC has so much of it.