Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
For a while we had a donations page up, and OC received regular donations for a brief period of time. This was taken down in the last year because I didn't feel it was necessary anymore given my current level of financial stability. I know some of you donated a few dollars here and there, and you may not have known whether you were making a difference or not.

The grand total for donations collected was around $800, most of which was donated early on when the donation page first went up. I pay in upwards of $1,250 to $2,000 a year for server costs to run OC's game servers, not including the website. Multiple this by 10 years and you can see that running this infrastructure costs a bit of money.

While it might not seem like $800 made a difference, when you all did donate, it was when I was falling on some hard times. The money really did make a difference in lightening the burden of keeping the server going. Also to be very clear, ALL of the donations went straight to the costs of the server. Funds entered the Paypal account and went directly to the server host the following month.

I just want to say "Thank you", to all who contributed. Smile

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:01 pm
quote : #2
I have recieved a few requests from users wanting to contribute financially to the site. I might re-open a donation page in the distant future. However, I will not do so until there is more technology behind the donation page, such as realtime progress bar with set milestones. I think this is a critical component for a donations page, because it gives the user immediate feedback that their money is impacting a cause in a positive way.

OC is not in danger of being shutdown. Smile It is well funded (by me!). Though in the future some donations would certainly help lighten the financial costs and possibly allow me to spin up more hardware if necessary.
Posted:
Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:37 pm
quote : #3
I didn't have the means to donate years ago, but I would gladly donate now if given the chance. Thanks for all you do!

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:40 am
quote : #4
I'd definitely throw some money your way if given the opportunity.