Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Green Ranger
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hello everyone! Being that the Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles it's always great to find active forums for this wonderful system. In my spare time not only do I play DC games but I try my hand at modding a few as well.

While I'm here I'd like to ask what the policies are for discussing Dreamcast game mods, the appropriate place to post such threads and if it's ever ok to post download links (or post links to pages with download links) for such games. Thanks!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi Green Ranger, welcome to the site.

What type of download links? What type of mods?
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:19 am
quote : #3
Hi lordnikon, thank you for the welcome.

Mods such as translation projects, character model edits, etc. For example, there is an English translation project I started some years ago for the Survival Horror Game Seven Mansions- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vqWCDQ9Y8

There is also a Dead Or Alive 2 modding project I'm working on which will eventually be complete- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNsSAMshl8A

In the event I wanted to open threads for discussion on these (or any other) modification projects, is that allowed? Also, if they are released sometime in the future what type of download links (if any) are allowed here? The games/mods would likely be in CDI format (zipped/compressed of course), so free file hosting sites such as Zippyshare, Depositfiles, etc would probably be considered.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:37 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
You are more than welcome to post those projects here, discuss them, and include links to download the files as long as they are modified. I am a big proponent of the "user generated" content that comes from the video game enthusiast community. The projects that spawn off in the form of translations, mods, hacks, and homebrew. Its what makes the Dreamcast one of the more interesting systems out there.

The only thing we don't permit here are direct links to unmodified Dreamcast ISO's. Not because we are against piracy or are stringent on legaility, but because I feel a board turns into something else when raw ISO's are involved. There is definatly a time and a place for exchanging backups of games, but I think there is an extra level of appreciation for the Dreamcast (or any console) when physical retail copies of the games are being tracked down. One learns a whole lot more about a game when they have to go out into the world, seek it out, and maybe even spend a bit of cash on it. I think that background knowledge makes for more informed players.
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:46 pm
quote : #5
Thank you lordnikon. Good to know that you and this forum supports such projects! I shall post new threads for such projects so as to keep you guys posted on what I'm working on. Looking forward to your feedback. Smile