Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Hi,

Was interested in setting up my own dedicated servers for dreamcast. Since there's only oc, dc-talk and sylverant.
Its up in the air whether this would happen at the moment. I have a machine to use for servers with a bba in the mail to test and configure. I just wanted to know if anybody could reply what games do and do not have dedicated server software and possibly links. I'm aware of toy racer and quake, those may be the first to be setup. A pso ship may be a little out of my league right now because then i'd be getting into linux virtual machines and network rerouting out through windows, aside from learning sylverant's software; Though if the other games need linux also i'd use that. I know my way around linux but im not too frosty of a penguin lol

I figured if im going to host servers on its own machine might as well do all of them

But no replies like "well man theres not enough players to justify adding more servers". I have a few ideas of my own to keep said servers populated if it was decided to go ahead with this. And with the other games that have their greatest potential at revival yet, i'd like to have a machine with a few servers already established.

Thanks

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Every Dreamcast Online game that is currently online, has server software, otherwise we wouldn't be able to play them online. The only exception is Doom as it is a homebrew port and does direct-ip connections over the BBA only.

Right now the methods for hosting DC online servers are scattered with little to no documentation. My personal goal is to work on fixing this by late this year. First I have to bolster OC's own server infrastructure which I want to have completed by around June if possible, and then after that my next goal is to do my best to empower users to run servers on their own for whatever reason they want.

You are right, there are some communities/individuals that seem to think that by starting up more servers we are spreading ourselves too thin, and that the DC online community should be funneled to 1 central server location to keep the population as high as possible. I disagree. I think the tools needed to run DC games online should be available for anyone to use, run, and experiment with.

If you want to get started hosting, Quake 3 is the best place to start. We have a guide up for both windows and linux. Then probobly ToyRacer. I had problems with the Windows version of that myself. I have to retest it on linux.

I won't have more on the rest of the games until later this year. My plate is pretty full.
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 pm
quote : #3
Im going to setup q3 and tr when this bba comes in. So i dont spend half the time getting no carriers/redialing.

In my opinion as setting up servers becomes easier and more games come back, more communities could just throw up their own and in theory the dc would "inherit" some players from that community. With talks of rasperry pi scripts for dreamcast and a recreated dream arena (ill link) it might be easier for people to connect since most people dont want to buy dialup/mess with linux for hours/spend a ton on a bba. There will always be the main one or two sites that host the masterlists and whatnot, but for games like pso and quake with masterlists the more communities have servers the better chance of people finding out about this being a thing.

I hadnt dusted the dreamcast off until a bored google search led me to savemgo.com a few months ago

http://dreamcastarena.net/getting-the-dreamcast-online/

Alot of cool stuff is in the works and i'd like to aid in the momentum to a revived and open source dc. Even if it is just setting up servers ( wwp Cool )[/url]

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 am
quote : #4
Users will have to get their hands dirty with Linux/FreeBSD or spend some cash on a BBA. This is unavoidable. While guides and connectivity improvements do help more people get online, its still a constant battle against the evolving technology climate to keep this stuff going. Even with a Raspberry Pi + Linux + custom scripts, lots can go wrong. Package dependancies can conflict or cause problems over time, on top of the fact that every single user has different network environments, serial cables, and modems.

If you are interested in helping out and making an impact the best place to contribute right now is Quake 3 Arena:

• SD Card Research
  • Custom Maps can be loaded on Quake 3 Dreamcast (multiple users have had success with this)
  • 1.16n compatible server mods like Freeze Tag
  • Quake 3 Servers can be pointed to multiple master lists, allowing your server to impact multiple communities if different masterlists exist

More importantly... do get involved and schedule games. For instance user "Snafu Organizer" has had great success at the PS2 site the last 2 months getting Tribes matches going.
Posted:
Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:09 pm
quote : #5
Have Tr and q3 servers up. alot easier than i thought. Looked for max pool software but the site that hosted it is dead. Do you have backed up?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:42 pm
quote : #6
Yea OC is running a Maximum Pool server. So I have the server software in my archives. But I won't have it up somewhere until a bunch of other tasks get done. Archival tasks, site work, and setting up servers are at the top of my list. Documentation and posting software won't come until I have gotten ahead on some of these tasks.

Are you running the Windows version of ToyRacer Server? I was running into performance/lag problems with it. Coud barely even connect, so just an FYI.
Posted:
Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:36 pm
quote : #7
I need a second player to test actually playing but i connected and ran fine other than that. Not a stutter in connecting

I understand you being busy with other stuff and thats great. Its not really my main thing with all this server stuff, so i'd rather alot more other things get progress. Take your time and when its done there'll be people waiting to use it and stay active

Thanks

Last edited by Dan12343 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

petterk
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:22 am
quote : #8
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
Yea OC is running a Maximum Pool server. So I have the server software in my archives. But I won't have it up somewhere until a bunch of other tasks get done. Archival tasks, site work, and setting up servers are at the top of my list. Documentation and posting software won't come until I have gotten ahead on some of these tasks.

Are you running the Windows version of ToyRacer Server? I was running into performance/lag problems with it. Coud barely even connect, so just an FYI.

Out of curiosity, did you try the newest build of the Toy Racer windows server? Frantz made an updated one with no cpu issues.
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:05 pm
quote : #9
petterk wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

Out of curiosity, did you try the newest build of the Toy Racer windows server? Frantz made an updated one with no cpu issues.

I had an issue where i'd time out when the race starts, it would say to the other player i quit. tried forwarding in firewall and anti virus also. Going to move over to linux when i can