Page 1 of 1
SegXDPod1
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Am a old member coming back with new user name, haven't been able to post from my Dreamcast,
loved posting in forums a while back and would love to start doing so again. I use the XDP 2008
Web browsers, what could it be that doesn't allow me to post? Is it a certain web browser only
that I can post with or do I have my settings wrong?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:22 am
quote : #2
Hey SegXDPod1!

The problem has to do with an incompatibility between the Dreamcast and the the forum software we use. At somepoint after some security patches, the Dreamcast started running into session timeout problems. The Dreamcast browsers have trouble keeping the user logged in. I don't know when or if this will ever get fixed. I would have to install a raw install of the very first version of the forum, and then start upgrading security patches one by one to isolate what code is causing the conflict. Needless to say, this would be a rather time consuming bughunt. Maybe someday it will get fixed, but not anytime soon.

We used to have a Dreamcast only browser template, but keeping it in sync with the main OC template code was difficult, so I had to no longer develop it.

I have been gradually working on OC's front end site code with the goal of having the site gracefully degrade. So while you may not be able to post from your Dreamcast, the site's visual style will breakdown to simple HTML so reading on the Dreamcast is still a pleasant experience. I eventually want to pull all of the main site images into CSS, so that they don't load for the Dreamcast browsers (as the Dreamcast ignores CSS). I also have to see what I can pull off with javascript as well to toggle UI features based on user agent.

My long term goal is to have OC loading optimized by default for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers, so the site can be "read" at least, and have it be a fast and pleasant experience.
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:55 am
quote : #3
Could anything be worked out on the Dreamcast Web Browser
software side to support posting?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:04 pm
quote : #4
Unfortunatly nothing with existing browsers on the Dreamcast to allow for posting with the forum that this site uses. It would have to be resolved on the forum itself.