Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I don't know if there are any Dreamcast keyboards where I have said "ah this keyboard feels great". Compared to older well built PC keyboards, and modern mechanical Cherry MX based keyboards, the DC keyboard are less than great.

Here are the ones I have used so far:

1.) JP Mini-clear Keyboard
2.) US Fullsize Keyboard

Has anyone ever tried the Japanese Dreamcast keyboard without the number pad? Is it the same as the US board?

A list of all known Dreamcast keyboards:

• Official US/PAL Keyboard (Spacebar = uniformly square, Dreamcast "White" Label over Number Pad)
  • Official US Keyboard (Spacebar = rounded lower edge, Dreamcast "Black" Label over Number Pad)
  • Official US Keyboard (Spacebar = rounded lower edge, Seganet Label over Number Pad)
  • Official JPN Keyboard Ten Keyless (HKT-7600)
  • JPN Mini Keyboards (Clear, Sakura, Hello Kitty, Divers 2000, Black)
  • US Innovation Keyboard

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat May 16, 2015 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:58 am
quote : #2
I prefer the japanese mini. But only because it's small enough to not be cumbersome while playing on a couch or something. I use the X-Skillz 2in1 keyboard converter and it seems to work better than others. Only problem is that these converters only use the jp-en layout. So all the shift options are all over the place.
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:09 pm
quote : #3
Seeing this topic brought back repressed memories I have of Innovation's Dreamcast keyboard. That thing was an absolute pile of garbage. Not only was the build quality suspect, but the keys had a tendency to stick, which was only exacerbated with usage over time. I could only tolerate seeing "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy" every time I was trying to greet people on PSO for so long before I chucked the thing in the trash and bought a Sega branded keyboard.

Now here is the craziest thing about this keyboard: Innovation is still charging $25 for a new Dreamcast keyboard on Amazon. I seriously can't believe they have the audacity to even sell this thing in 2013, let alone charge $25 for it.

crammond
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 pm
quote : #4
Hi so I just joined literally right now and was wondering if the account for DC OC is different from GC OC. Would I have to make seperate accounts per console? I would have posted this somewhere more relevant except this thread has actually been posted in recently so I figured I would try my luck here...

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
I still only have the official PAL keyboard. It works perfectly fine, good build etc. However I think it is a little to large.

I'm going to buy one of the smaller Japanese keyboards but can't make my mind up between this style or the ones which come without the num pad and seem a little smaller and flatter.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 am
quote : #6
Hey lozz! Yea, the number-pad-less (aka TenKey-Less, TKL) board is the one I am really curious about. I really wonder if it feels the same or different than the US/PAL full size boards.

Yakumo has it shown on his site, but there are no comments:

http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware/hard_dc-keyboard.htm

The spacebar sure is small.

Jamtex at Assembler says:

"There are two different types of Japanese keyboard both of them are horrible keyboards, but the HKT-7600 one which looks like the US / European ones but without the keypad is slightly better. The HKT-4000 ones, which look like laptop keyboards are a little more fiddly. "

Hmm... slightly better aye?
Posted:
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:42 pm
quote : #7
Btw I was going some ebay searching, and practically the same keyboard was released for the Saturn, "HSS-0129".
Posted:
Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 pm
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U
Just picked up one of the generic "Innovation" keyboards.. granted it was new in it's original box, but the build quality shows. Every once and a while a key gets stuck. I've got a PS/2 (PC) keyboard-to-DC adapter coming soon, so I can use any old PC keyboard with it.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 16, 2015 7:57 pm
quote : #9
Maybe I should rename this thread to "Rank em from Worst to Worstest" hehe.

sramdi, when you get your PS/2 adapter, do some tests on key entry latency. I need to retest this myself to ensure that even though a real PC keyboard will feel better when typing, that the data entry is as responsive as the official Dreamcast Keyboards.
Posted:
Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am
quote : #10
I only have every used the fullsize Dreamcast US keyboard. I got used to the keys and it always worked fine for me. The dreamcast mini ones would up take up less space but i always prefer full keyboards.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am
quote : #11
Mir_wan, have you ever run into any issues with sticking keys or input delay on the US keyboard? I have spent most of my time on the small crystal mini japanese keyboard. I do have a US board but it has been sitting in a big rubbermade container.
Posted:
Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:25 pm
quote : #12
It's funny reading this topic because I pretty much just finished playing Typing of the Dead. I hadn't cracked open my dc keyboard in a few years(still have it in the original box), but surprisingly it still works like a charm. It is an official US full sized keyboard model and still feels good typing on it. Although it does feel a little antiquated now that I've gotten used to the new modern clicky keyboards.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:52 pm
quote : #13
With all the new enthusiast hardware being made for older consoles these days, I wonder if we'll see a proper dreamcast keyboard adapter for usb keyboards.

I've used both the mini laptop style japanese keyboard and the official US fullsized keyboard. Neither are great, but the Fullsized was certainly more reliable than anything else I've used. These days I just use a CM Storm Quickfire with the same G skillz keyboard adapter.

Speaking of innovation hardware. Their Dream Connection 2 has the worst keyboard encoder I've ever used. Totally useless.
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:36 am
quote : #14
I'd love to see that, imagine fragging it up with a mechanical keyboard Mr. Green