Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Xeal
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
OK, so I have been using VMWARE to run win 98, simple right? I have followed every guide I could find for it, using the DNS server address from within the win98 OS on the dreamcast's web browser and have set up winroute so on and so forth. I have a zoom external USB modem model 3095 V0.92/v0.90 that works fine and is detected by my computer and the win98. It is a voice modem as a result, and has 8 in the diagnostics to show for it.

VMWARE note: I use NAT for the internet config because if I use bridged, the OS in the virtual machine gets no internet connection for some reason, so I leave it at NAT. This should not be the problem.

Winroute: Interface table Ethernet: Perform NAT....(so on) is checked, but exclude this...(so on) is not.
RAS (line 1): Everything is unchecked (due to a revisioned guide I had found).

Port mapping on winroute consists of TCP/UDP witha port range of 1-65535.

Dreamcast setup: I followed all the guides, but I have 1 as the dial in number, but used the DNS address from the Win98 machine. blind dial is on and all that.

Now after repeatedly configuring my dreamcast for my internet, i have the dialup server set up in win98, and then i allow caller access, then hit apply along with making my dreamcast dial the modem. Both ends fail, as the status that used to say Monitoring would not change to answering, instead saying Monitoring Failed, and the dreamcast hangs up automatically. During the dialing though, it always ends up in a long deep beeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I am quite frustrated due to seeing this message every time I so confidently try to connect my dreamcast to the win98 pcdc server: "The modem is not responding properly. Please verify that the modem is plugged in to the computer and to the telephone line. If the problem persists, please select the 'More Help' button to start the windows 98 Modem Troubleshooter."

I understand that with the rig I have (It consists of my computer, the Dial up USB zoom modem, the actual normal phone line cable, and the sega dreamcast with modem A), it should get me online just fine, which leads me to believe that it is a configuration issue with win98 or the dreamcast webrowser. I ask for anyone's help at this point as I feel I have no other choice but to seek outside assistance.

P.S. The usb modem has these lights on it, and when the connection is attempted, the light above OH is solid, but the one above DATA is not. I can only assume this means the modem is On Hold, and not getting anything from the dreamcast.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:31 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Have you run into any bluescreens? I would run into those with running win98 in a VM. I had the best luck running win98 on real hardware.

I wish I could help, but my PCDC setup is not up at the moment. I have hardware and plans to get my PCDC server setup in linux using TheMytho's guide. Once I have that setup, I will try the Win98 method once again.
Posted:
Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:00 pm
quote : #3
Actually, i found out that the very particular USB modem I had needs the line voltage inducer when it is used on a model A dreamcast. I ordered a Model B modem for the console, as it will seem to balance out the voltage amount and succeed. If it doesn't work, I will have to get a new USB modem. I apologize for any time wasted. Your thoughts are welcome though, and I have set up 2 versions of the PCDC server as I used Ubuntu and Win 98. There were never any bluescreens or messy programs, just the server not picking up for the dreamcast console.

Xeal
rank 1
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 am
quote : #4
Xeal wrote:
Actually, i found out that the very particular USB modem I had needs the line voltage inducer when it is used on a model A dreamcast. I ordered a Model B modem for the console, as it will seem to balance out the voltage amount and succeed. If it doesn't work, I will have to get a new USB modem. I apologize for any time wasted. Your thoughts are welcome though, and I have set up 2 versions of the PCDC server as I used Ubuntu and Win 98. There were never any bluescreens or messy programs, just the server not picking up for the dreamcast console.

Well then, I have both Modem A and modem B, and I've tried everything. I want to know if everything was correct before I spend money on a USB dial up modem. Is there anything that someone could suggest?

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Have you tried running a Linux machine in VirtualBox? I recall having issues running the server under VMware.

Xeal
rank 1
Posted:
Sat May 02, 2015 10:06 pm
quote : #6
I thought VMWARE would be a simple way to do it. I've used both Modem A and B, along with 2 different USB dialup modems. ill try following a guide once more for win98; I chose not to use linux because it seems more complicated and when I tried using mgetty, the OS wouldnt do anything with it.

I just gave your tutorial a try except I used VMWARE, and when i typed ATA into minicom, i got no carrier.

Update: Tried with virtual box and gnome-ppp doesnt even detect a modem. When starting the setup, I opened gnome before to see if it detected something, and it did. Somewhere during the setup it loses its ability to detect it. I know even less of my way around in Vbox, seeing as how I keep thinking serial ports arent even being used. Is there a way I can try contacting someone to directly help?

Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Wed May 13, 2015 10:18 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U
Quote:
and then i allow caller access, then hit apply along with making my dreamcast dial the modem.

If you haven't tried this, you have to call on the system before taking the modem off the hook

Quote:
Actually, i found out that the very particular USB modem I had needs the line voltage inducer when it is used on a model A dreamcast

Quote:
Well then, I have both Modem A and modem B, and I've tried everything. I want to know if everything was correct before I spend money on a USB dial up modem. Is there anything that someone could suggest?

Quote:
I just gave your tutorial a try except I used VMWARE, and when i typed ATA into minicom, i got no carrier

Pretty much everything needs a voltage inducer. It'd be alot faster/cheaper to attempt to make one than not. I attempted this with model A in win98 and linux and the problem with both was voltage. The no carrier is from needing voltage in the line

Quote:
Update: Tried with virtual box and gnome-ppp doesnt even detect a modem.

You need to find the com port of your modem by clicking start and searching phone and modem and set the serial ports on your virtual machine to COM(#).