1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:10 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
A long time ago in 2006 I worked with a programmer in Italy to get SL online forever. Well, I tested it locally but just with myself. DCTM later did tests on his local network between 2 Dreamcasts. However that was back in 2008/2009. Fast forward to now. We... wern't really 100% sure that it all worked as needed.

It turns out that some more tweaks to the code were indeed required to polish it up a bit.

Starlancer is truly saved and 100% online forever. Just be patient for software release and or server setup, as it requires setting up an IRCd for the peerchat emulation, and for OC to host that, it has to be locked down and rather secure to sit open and running 24/7.

DCTM and I were just playing some Starlancer 100% detached from any Gamespy dependancies.

With the pending Gamespy server closure, I just wanted to let everyone know that we do have this game's future secured. Smile

*thumbs up*
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:40 pm
quote : #2
Excellent work! Very Happy

Glad to hear that another online capable title has been saved.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 pm
quote : #3
Yea it was probobly saved all along, and... theoretically I think we still could have repaired the code without the master list up? However having the real service up allowed us to troubleshoot a few more things faster than we would have otherwise.

Now we just have to put up the server infrastructure so everyone can play. Wink
Posted:
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:37 pm
quote : #4
when is it going back online? thanks and keep dreaming
Posted:
Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 am
quote : #5
OC has to go through a server migration in July for its Game Servers. The windows license for our server host is increasing to 50.00/month, which is obnoxiously expensive (that is just for the license, not including the other costs). This is a radical architectural shift. I have to migrate to linux, and run processes within VM's. Furthermore, Starlancer requires an IRC server to run to accomodate chat/matchmaking. A lot of security work is required to ensure everything is locked down accordingly.

OC probobly won't have a working Starlancer environment setup until August.
Posted:
Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:55 am
quote : #6
nice that is a game i want to get back on with for awhile now oh the vga...AWESOME:twisted: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm
quote : #7
Are there any updates to online functionality for starlancer? i tried to connect last night to no avail.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:14 pm
quote : #8
It is going to be a few months before OC has a working Starlancer environment up for players to play on. An IRC server is required. This has to be setup and secured properly before it can go live in a production environment. I have to go through and test out various IRC servers, choose one, lock it down, get the entire software suite setup for Starlancer, test it, etc. Also, since 4x4 Evolution's chat server also requires an IRC server there is some parallel troubleshooting required to get them both working.
Posted:
Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:05 pm
quote : #9
so are we looking at another 6 months or so? you guys are really talented to know how to set this up. i definity apppreciste all of your effort. i have been a dreamcast fan since day 1 and it was my first and most enjoyable online gaming experience. thank you!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm
quote : #10
I am hoping it won't be that long. I don't think it will be 6 months, but March might be a more realistic timeframe for Starlancer. I am hoping to get some initial testing done in February with the Starlancer server infrastructure being up in Early/Mid-March.
Posted:
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 pm
quote : #11
Just a quick update on the server status, the work is still pending. I will keep you guys posted on progress as it comes in. The key is just getting an IRC server setup so it is secure and stable, so it can't be taken advantage of. I am hoping to put in some time doing research on this in the next few weeks.
Posted:
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:16 pm
quote : #12
As some of you may have read in the Server Work thread, the Starlancer server is up. Wink
Posted:
Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:14 pm
quote : #13
sweet! i am going to try to connect tonight after the kids get to sleep. i'm assuming all i need to do now is just connect via dialup and it should connect to the server?

Dan12343
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:14 pm
quote : #14
Type: NTSC-U
lordnikon wrote:
ONLINE: Starlancer server is now online.

DreamcastTM and I had successful gameplay this evening. Everything wortked and we played for about an hour.

If using DNS, redirect your IP to: 142.4.223.231

If using a PCDC server with manual domain resolutions, you can map these assignments yourself:

master.gamespy.com       192.99.46.201
peerchat.gamespy.com    192.99.46.201

You have to use OC's DNS in your dialup settings

ncman071
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 pm
quote : #15
ok so i booted up my web browser 2.0 disc and changed my dns settings to 142.4.223.231. I put in starlancer and when i tried to connect it got to the "connecting to gamespy" then it just said "could not find gamespy servers" i pressed A and it automatically disconnected me from the internet.

What am i doing wrong? I tried this several times.

Is there something else in my settings i need to fix?