Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So out of nowhere the indie game Volgarr the Viking got released for the DC a couple of days ago. Ported using the official engine and assets, but "officially unsupported", released as freeware with the dev's permission.

You can get it in .cdi form here, complete with printable box art and a manual.

The basic gist from the developers was that they figured releasing it as freeware was a good idea since they didn't think it would impact sales of the PC or Xbox One versions and would hate to see a functional copy not be released. It's pretty brutal, I threw an hour into it earlier (it runs fine off of a GDEMU but I haven't checked it on a CDR) and got killed more times than I can count. It's pretty fun though. It even starts with a very Altered Beast styled intro sequence.

If you're into 2D action/platformers with a decent amount of difficulty you should definitely check it out. I'm not sure if this counts as a homebrew game or a commercial port, but either way it's nice to have more releases on the Dreamcast.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:11 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is huge news. A brand new indie game port to the DC. With the dev's permission? Awesome.

For those who are interested, you can buy VOLGARR THE VIKING here at GOG if you really like the game and want to support the developer:

http://www.gog.com/game/volgarr_the_viking

It is available for Windows, MacOSX and Linux, and... it is DRM free.