Topic: I used to love video games

Page 1 of 1
shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
It started years ago. When it occurred to me I actually controlled the action on the screen. And I was hooked.
Donkey kong it was on my cousin Danny's coleco.
When I got older it was Nintendo who I championed. Even influenced my career path. Just a lowly plumber here in the middle of nowhere.
But it was sega. I'll never know why and I'll never be able to figure it out. My friend Rodney had a master system. And it had excellent games. The best home version of double dragon. Two player the whole way. And that's what games are truly about. Yes they are stories, yes they are characters and rules and worlds. But what games are. What they truly are is fun. And it was sega I believed who actually knew this best. When I think back on all I have ever played on all the systems I've ever owned it was fun playing on a sega. I believe most other newer systems have forgotten that In the attempt to be the best. Games don't need anything more than to be fun with your friends. And that is one of the reasons I may never get rid of either my dreamcast or my master system.

Thanks again for this wonderful site that I don't frequent Nearly as much as I should. But hey life of a plumber and all here.
Posted:
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:14 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think with games, looking on the horizon for whats coming is something we have become so accustomed to over the years. Maybe thats because what was behind us was so great (like the Dreamcast), that we wish there was something else like it that would come along as well.

I think its perfectly fine to stick to enjoying the Dreamcast, along with some other classic systems you are a fan of. I am a big fan of arcade games. Sega always resonated with me because of that. The Dreamcast is the NeoGeo of 3D Arcade games for the home market. 59 out of the 248 games released in the US were originally released in the arcades before the Dreamcast. That is 24%, and its not even including all of the games that originated on home systems like Daytona USA 2001 or Bangai-O that had arcade gameplay. Its really hard to argue with that level of replay value.

I say, take solice in the fact that you appreciate a console that matters, and is one of the greatest systems ever made.

Every console from here-on forward could be complete garbage, and that is okay. At least the Dreamcast was great, and we have that to play Smile
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:05 pm
quote : #3
I've also had a similar revelation regarding gaming over the past several years. Everything these days feels like a race to the bottom in order to target the lowest common denominator. Splashy marketing campaigns and hype mask the shallowness of most big budget games. Instead of waiting for the dust to settle and judging a game on its own merits, people keep blindly buying whatever receives a big push from publishers.

Sega and many of the developers who left their mark on the Dreamcast either radically transformed to adjust or simply faded away over time. Games such as Armada, Jet Grind Radio and Power Stone simply aren't produced anymore. Only a small handful of developers create shmups these days, with doujin groups releasing professional grade games here and there. For people like us, nothing completely filled the vacuum left by the demise of the Dreamcast.

I personally think you're making a wise decision staying out of the current market shrap. Enjoy what you think looks fun and ignore the marketing bonanzas surrounding current games.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:49 pm
quote : #4
I'm in the same boat, I used to play nearly every night for a few hours, classic titles such as Quake 3, PSO, you name it, I was playing it. You heard about games from the raving reviews in gaming mags, and made a conscious decision from there. The marketing behind video games has grown so broad in the last 5-10 years that it has gotten to be like another media market, not by any random chance. If you have the money to pump up a game, it will sell, at least, until people actually play it.. Lately it's been so much more of the same, and I haven't caught on..

I primarily switched to PC gaming in the past few years, and chalked up my lack of excitement for games to the fact that the desk that computer sits at is rather uncomfortable to sit at for hours at end. Unfortunately, with a recent purchase, this was proven to be not so much the truth. The gaming market is a rapidly changing beast at this point, and I fear we're merely hold-outs from the past..

Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:52 am
quote : #5
I figure it's just that you grow out of it. There might be marketing and hype, but at the end of the day, none of it is going to influence how much fun you have when you play the game for yourself.