Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
DC_Player
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:47 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Is it possible that we will be able to play Unreal Tournament online in the future?, I do have the PC version but there's just something about it on the Dreamcast.

I would like to point out that this is not a personal request it's just a question if it could be a possibility.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:04 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The question "Can UT be brought back online?" has been asked hundreds of times since it was shutdown over 13 years ago.

It has been 13 years. UT is not currently online for the Dreamcast and has not been restored to operating status during this timeframe.

To answer the question "Can <insert> be brought back online?", would result in an elaborate response. One which typically begins with explaining what would be required to even start research on a games network mode, then the technical requirements of those involved with trying to emulation/reverse engineer something. The time involved, sacrifice, along with the need for pre-existing documentation, and a ton of luck. Writing this story would involve many paragraphs, and the sad part is, this gives many hope that it is suddenly more feasible to get a game back online because the explanation is percieved as getting the ball rolling on the restoration process.

Let's take a quick survey on what has been restored for the Dreamcast thus far: 4 games total in 13 years. 2 of those games had technical support from the original developers from the games. The other 2 games benefited from years of network introspection on their protocols. PSO specifically involved a long line of hackers/developers who iterated on each others work for years.

I want every Dreamcast game back online, but I also want to have a successful community around playing existing Dreamcast Online games.

Restoration threads can be exciting and selacious topics. They are headline grabbing and give us a reason to create a bookmark in our browsers. "Lemme check back on this thread. Maybe something happened. Maybe the game is back online." But, it is difficult to run certain parts of the site when the "get games back online" types of threads exist, as they tend to be a huge distraction. For instance, discussing the memories of Past Online Games becomes impossible in that forum when a restoration thread exists there. I want that board to be focused on discussing the days of SegaNET or about making Chu Chu Rocket maps.

I really could go on about this. There are so many tangential questions to this topic, but I wanted to try and keep this short and as too the point as possible.

I hope this answer clarrifies why these types of threads are discouraged on the board. I will leave this up as a sticky, but maybe edit it a bit and move it into a guide later.