lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Greetings everyone,

The next phase of server infrastructure improvements are going to be starting soon. In 2014-early 2015 a lot was accomplished, including a full server migration, new Q3 servers, and finally getting Starlancer up and running for users to play on.

This year my goal is to have the entirety of Dreamcast Online as well as GC/PS2 fully operational (by entirety, I mean what servers are available). This means fully working PSO servers, a 4x4 Evo chat server solution, fixing the maximum pool config so users can access OC's maximum pool master list, and enhancing the network environment for Quake 3 Arena (server side mods!).

This is going to be a big year.

(I also have a lot of site work planned as well.)

Last edited by lordnikon on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:39 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
This is great Smile
Posted:
Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:03 am
quote : #3
Can't wait!

Wargo
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 am
quote : #4
That's great. I think that the improvements will make the community a lot better. Keep up the great work.

lopsopqwerty
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:07 pm
quote : #5
I'm excited!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:52 pm
quote : #6
Thanks all for the support.

In the past I underestimated how much effort is involved with sustaining an infrastructure for this stuff on dedicated servers. Its one thing to flip on some software on your local machine, get it working, and maybe even allow a buddy through your firewall to play again; but... supporting ALL the games with their different software needs in a dedicated server environment has been a real challenge.

I always thought we were golden, as long as a game was "onliine forever". It turns out that this is only half of the equation. The "infrastructure" for mass public access is the other half.

Down the road I am planning on sharing this information with everyone. So that if anyone wanted to, they could setup the very same infrastructure. Obviously it means that others can setup competing networks, but... I learned many years ago that I had to get past letting this bother me in order to fully embrace the public release of any Dreamcast Online server executables.
Posted:
Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:01 am
quote : #7
Glad to hear that things are still churning and improving behind the scenes, keep up the good work!