Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
TheReverendGreg
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Hey internet. My name is Gregory and I’m really excited to share something I’ve been working on for over a year now. I’ve written software that will automatically connect a dreamcast to the internet via dialup through a PC-DC connection running on a raspberry pi. After you disconnect it automatically sets itself back up for another connection without any input by you. Not only this, but the really exciting part is I’ve also created a website component so that connecting through a web browser you’ll be able to upload save files to your computer, browse, and download them back. The website is pretty advanced and also allows you to extract screenshots from Phantasy Star Online and graffiti from Jet Grind Radio. I’ve also documented how I did both of these things and the information is packed into the website. There’s a bunch of information and other nice little things that I think you’ll enjoy so please give it a look and any feedback would be most welcome.

I’ve created two videos. One is introducing the project in more depth as well as the hardware I’ve used,
https://youtu.be/kjkouiBNFQU

and the other provides instructions on how to install the software on your raspberry pi as well as a quick look at the website.
https://youtu.be/iREa1kGs54k

Enjoy! And I hope everyone has an awesome day.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:07 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Great job TheReverendGreg Smile

I will look into the work you have done in more detail as soon as I have a chance. Maybe I can even assist with helping improve compatibility if improvements are needed. Any bash going on in there? as I am very proficient in bash scriptiing Wink

Quick question, can the environment be replicated in a VM as well?
Posted:
Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
Thanks lordnikon. I look forward to hearing what you think.

I'd love any assistance. I did decide to do all the coding in bash! I did this because I didn't want anything compiled to a specific architecture, nor did I want to worry about other compatibility issues. There's a link to the github on each of those videos with the full source code.

I don't see why the environment couldn't be replicated in a VM. Though you would probably want to target Raspbian as there's certain scripting commands that are Raspbian specific, and a few like "apt-get" that are debian specific. However this is mostly with the part of the script that checks and installs all the software you need and so this could be modularized in the future to different distributions.

jtn0514
rank 2
Posted:
Sun May 01, 2016 4:18 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC
Awesome! I do have a spare RPi model b here and need to put it to good use..

Is it possible to tunnel a regular modem connection (non dial-up, direct p2p) over the internet to another device like this?

Assuming you are interested in another project to tackle, you might be interested in taking a look at the sega genesis mega modem. There are a few games it supports and it acts as a direct dial setup to your opponent.

Also the Saturn netlink.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 07, 2016 12:25 am
quote : #5
The raspberry pi method, as well as all other PCDC servers do not route Direct-Dial phone to phone modem signals to one another. PCDC servers route modern TCP/UDP network packets over IPv4 interfaces.

I wish there was a way to route Netlink, Genesis, or even some of the old Armored Core games on PS2 in Japan that supported direct dial, to route over the internet.

I hope this info helps clarify your question.
Posted:
Tue May 17, 2016 3:27 pm
quote : #6
Excellent work sir, very impressive!