JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Quote:
Exciting news for those of you that play Dreamcast online (which I assume is everyone that visits this site Very Happy). The very first online Dreamcast game, ChuChu Rocket!, is back online forever! The official server for the game went offline in November of 2003 so it's been almost 13 years since anyone's played it online. Thanks to the efforts of Jonas Karlsson (the same guy behind the Dreamarena server which allows you to play Toy Racer via dial-up), the server software has been reverse engineered. Jonas is hosting his own server which anyone can connect to by simply setting your DNS server to 46.101.91.123. This is the default DNS server for DreamPi users, so if that's your connection method of choice, you don't have to change anything. When asked for a username and password, enter anything (they aren't saved in the current implementation of the server). The server software and source code will be released to the public at some point so that it can be hosted by anyone and preserved. Keep in mind the server is still a proof-of-concept so expect bugs. Check out gameplay below of me and Jonas playing the game online.

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/ChuChu-Rocket-Is-Back-Online/

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:30 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Wow, this is really cool news! Very Happy

Curious to take a look at the source code. I wonder how complex the server software is and what language was used for it.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:36 pm
quote : #3
It isn't complex at all. I was able to get Chu Chu Rocket working 95% (for some reason the game wouldn't start) and the code was only a couple of thousand lines of code. It uses the same exact protocol as PSO with a few variations. The one thing I don't see they have is the puzzle room. If they're having trouble figuring that out, I have that working 100% and can add that in.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:24 pm
quote : #4
Exciting news indeed. I can't wait to try it out Cool

Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 pm
quote : #5
This is really good news Cool. Tank you to Jonas Karlsson and every other people that spent the time working on this solution. And all related things to the Dreamcast.

Its nice everytime we hear the news of another Dreamcast game working online again.

I need someday to try one of the easiest solutions to simulate a dial-up connection that are available. Thankfully, it seems its easier than ever, at least with the DreamPi solution. I was resigned to only be able to play the games that were only Broadband compatible.
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:49 pm
quote : #6
Starwalker wrote:
This is really good news Cool. Tank you to Jonas Karlsson and every other people that spent the time working on this solution. And all related things to the Dreamcast.

Its nice everytime we hear the news of another Dreamcast game working online again.

I need someday to try one of the easiest solutions to simulate a dial-up connection that are available. Thankfully, it seems its easier than ever, at least with the DreamPi solution. I was resigned to only be able to play the games that were only Broadband compatible.

Indeed, DreamPi seems to be the solution at this point. I finally have a reason to dust off my RaspberryPi!

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 am
quote : #7
Oh wow!! I've always wanted to play this game!!!

It was always one of my favourites for offline multiplayer and now I can FINALLY give it a whirl online. I'm so happy right now!!

I may give this dreampi thing a go - anyone know of a guide?
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:31 pm
quote : #8
I tried connecting to CCR using an actual dial-up connection to no avail. After reading around, I learned that the server is not online 24/7. Hopefully that will change at some point in the future.

kazade
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:36 am
quote : #9
The server *is* on 24/7 ... I'm running it.

Perhaps it's having issues, I'll take a look!

kazade
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:39 am
quote : #10
Definitely seems to be working, people have been connecting today fine and no errors in the logs. Have you set up your DNS correctly? I've heard that sometimes using real dial-up doesn't work as the DNS gets overridden by the ISP or something.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm
quote : #11
kazade wrote:
Have you set up your DNS correctly? I've heard that sometimes using real dial-up doesn't work as the DNS gets overridden by the ISP or something.

I put 46.101.91.123 in both the Primary and Secondary DNS fields. I can dial in fine, but my Dreamcast hangs at the 'Connecting to the server...' screen. I'm thinking that you're correct regarding the DNS being overridden by the ISP.