Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
Xiden
rank 5
Posted:
Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Quote:
The man behind the ChuChu Rocket! server resurrection, Jonas Karlsson, is at it again! This time he's revived the servers for The Next Tetris: Online Edition! It's unknown when exactly the servers for the game went down but the game was released late in the Dreamcast's life, so the servers likely weren't up for very long. This makes it even more exciting since many people didn't get to play Next Tetris online back in the day. While the game was released on several other platforms, including PC, the online mode was exclusive to the Dreamcast version. To further this exclusivity, the online mode was limited to the North American version of the game only.

In addition to this exciting news, Starlancer is now running on Jonas' own server. This is because both Next Tetris and Starlancer use essentially the same server software (GameSpy) with minor differences. Jonas has made some improvements to the server over the OnlineConsoles one which improve connection speed.

If you'd like to play Next Tetris online, please see the Connection Guide for details. Everything is automatic for DreamPi users so if that's your connection method, simply connect! This is the first public iteration of the server so you may experience bugs. In addition, user registration has yet to be implemented so your rank will not be saved. Quoted from PCWzrd13

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post/The-Next-Tetris-Online-Edition-Revived/

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:53 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Cool glad to see people are able to play The Next Tetris Online once again. Wink

I will add these to the Online Games List as soon as server software has been made available.

I am planning on setting up a technology repo / page which has all server technology, source code, etc, for servers to date along with other cool stuff. I have been really busy trying to shop for a house recently.

Tell the authors great job, and I look forward to seeing the server binaries hopefully released in the near future.
Posted:
Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:33 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
As with Chu Chu Rocket, I can't connect to The Next Tetris using a real dial-up connection. My guess is that the ISP overrides the DNS numbers set on the Dreamcast.