petterk
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Hi,

Im currently in dialog with some of the original developers of the UT version for Dreamcast, and Im going to try to work out the online part of the game the following days/weeks/months.

However, the master list seems to be offline (because of Gamespy shutting down I presume) so testing the game servers right now is impossible.

I remember something about lordnikon acquiring the master list server software from a Gamespy employee some time ago.

If we could set up the master server here at OC that would be very helpful and is key to keep working on the online functions of this game.

Regards

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:28 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6567

Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:16 pm
quote : #3
We will eventually host the technology required to access a UT master server again via Dreamcast UT. This will either be the old software that I work on as a tester/researcher alongside the developer Luigi A. (who is not a former gamespy employee, but rather a security researcher), or the newer version of it that I had been working with alongside DCTM.

I have pruchased a new server for OC and it is up and running, but it is a linux server and to get our windows reliant software running on it is going to take some extra effort and testing. We also cannot run any gamespy tech until we have enough sorted out with IRC security, as it requires setting up an IRC server for starlancer to run. The community is going to have to be patient as this infrastructure is setup over time.

If you can acquire the server software for DCUT from the original developers, then great! Though do remember to make the files available to the communiity. This is pretty important with regards to historical preservation.
Posted:
Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:14 am
quote : #4
Ofcourse it will be public.

Will be continuing to test things together with the developers for some time until it runs and if we have the required software to make the master list online then that would make the game practically back forever once we get the server to work.

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:48 pm
quote : #5
petterk wrote:
Ofcourse it will be public.

Will be continuing to test things together with the developers for some time until it runs and if we have the required software to make the master list online then that would make the game practically back forever once we get the server to work.

The master server that Luigi Auriemma and lordnikon developed does indeed work. After Gamespy shutdown and the then running master server went offline, I tested finding it surprisingly easy to set up.

petterk
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:31 pm
quote : #6
great. do you have a link to the software so i can take a look at it?

JacobusMaximus
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:33 pm
quote : #7
I'm responding to this mainly so I'll be kept up to date via email about when the UT server gets back up and running. I would love to play DC UT online. And with that, here's a fun anecdote: I bought the Mac OS version (pre-OSX I believe) of UT when it first came out in '99. I quickly discovered some cheat codes, one being invincibility, and basically just used it as a means to blow off steam (running around shooting people with a nuclear missile launcher.) But the drawback was I never got any good at the game (never really got good at FPS games in general.) Now I have the Dreamcast version of UT and I look forward to spending many hours honing my skills waiting for the server to go online...

petterk
rank 9
Posted:
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 am
quote : #8
WIP

strik3r
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:51 am
quote : #9
Hi All! Im new here. How are the things going about DCUT server? Razz
Posted:
Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 pm
quote : #10
We're still waiting for the developers to find the source code, which may or may not be in the archives at Epic.

ncman071
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 pm
quote : #11
any news on dc ut online functionality?

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 am
quote : #12