Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
1, 2, 3  Next
phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:45 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
This was an idea I had some time ago. A lot of this is from memory, so I may be wrong.

DC Pros

More levels
Domination mode in multiplayer
3-4 players without multitap
Online Play (well, it used to have...)
VGA support

PS2 Pros

Assault mode
iLink
Controller more suited for FPS, you can aim and use secondary fire mode at the same time
Can play as female
Can use USB mouse and keyboard

That's pretty much the basic points. Feel free to continue this. I need to play both games more to make further analysis. A similar thread for Quake III Arena would be interesting, but I've only played the PS2 version very little at my gf's house.

Last edited by phredreeke on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:53 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea I remember I was supposed to spawn off some topics about this from a previously locked topic. Really quick, the controls on the PS2 version are not better, but infact worse that the Dreamcast version. If you are using the controller that is. The aiming mappings for the analog sticks are rediculiously imprecise and do not have fluid aiming. They are more like a cross rather than free aiming. So, to play the PS2 version of UT using a USB mouse and keyboard is essential (which works great).

I will have more to say on the subject of these 2 versions at another time.
Posted:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 pm
quote : #3
the only reson i can see to get the ps2 version is for assault mode which doesnt stack up to what the dreamcast has.
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:39 pm
quote : #4
Doesn't the PS2 version of the game have bad frame rate issues as well?

Worse the the Dreamcast?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:50 pm
quote : #5
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
Doesn't the PS2 version of the game have bad frame rate issues as well?

Worse the the Dreamcast?

I would actually need to check it again myself personally. There is a common stereotype that the PS2 version has a worse framerate. However this is commonly backed by Dreamcast fans who havn't even played the PS2 version of UT to begin with.

When I get some free time I can double check the framerate.
Posted:
Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:09 pm
quote : #6
I played it and I actually found the DC controls adaptable, but I think yes, PS2 controller would have been easier if controls were tuned correct for joystick.
Posted:
Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:33 am
quote : #7
I'm not a great judge here, but from looking at the two versions together with the same settings on the same map, two things stand out:

-Less bots for the PS2 version
-The framerate seems shocking at times on the PS2, even worse than the often dodgy DC version

Plus, I can put in more bots on the DC version using my keyboard, so I prefer to play that, I can get away with 16 normally without the framerate suffering hugely.

jesus.arnold
rank 5
Posted:
Sat May 19, 2007 6:55 pm
quote : #8
Douggie wrote:
I can put in more bots on the DC version using my keyboard, so I prefer to play that, I can get away with 16 normally without the framerate suffering hugely.

Huh? i must be misunderstanding someone here, in my experience the frame rate becomes an issue with around 3-4 bots dependings on level.
Posted:
Sat May 19, 2007 7:09 pm
quote : #9
jesus.arnold wrote:
Douggie wrote:
I can put in more bots on the DC version using my keyboard, so I prefer to play that, I can get away with 16 normally without the framerate suffering hugely.

Huh? i must be misunderstanding someone here, in my experience the frame rate becomes an issue with around 3-4 bots dependings on level.

The framerate does become an issue as soon as you add more bots to the game. Some people though don't see it as well as others. Some people can play in a game that is running at 15fps and not really see what the big deal is.

Adding more bots on the Dreamcast version really only works well on certain maps that can handle it.

Personally I never exceed 4 bots.
Posted:
Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 am
quote : #10
I actually still own the ps2 version, and i agree to LordNikon on the fact that Some people don't see the framrate problem. I never knew that there was a DC version of this game until Got-Rice told me about this website that carries DC stuff new. After i found the items i Festered in the website until i saw Unreal Tournament sold out wich really bummed me out because i wanted to have this version because i fuigured that it would have the four players without any special Accessory. I Remeber when i couldn't decide wether to get Spawn:ITDH or Sonic Adventure2 back in 2000's!!! I got both and left broke for the week!!!

jesus.arnold
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:11 am
quote : #11
has anyone got any new info on this? i remember being quite interested in the subject but it never seemed to come to any conclusion, i've been thinking of buying the PS2 version myself just to compare them but i'd rather not tbh
Posted:
Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:38 am
quote : #12
UT for DC is pretty sweet but I think q3 was better ported for DC. I have yet to try keyboard and mouse with UT yet but the VGA box makes it look tops.

Kannibal
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:45 am
quote : #13
I started seeing the framerate problem now that I got used to Next Gen grfx. Von still looks badass! he is the character I use all the time because he reminds me of some character from this one game called Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012 for the PS1. I am trying to locate a DC Copy of UT w/o using credit card on the internetso it comes out cheaper that way, but if I can't find a copy do any of you guys know of any useful links to DC UT (Besides Amazon and E Bay) thnx...
Posted:
Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 pm
quote : #14
Type: PAL
Oh man, yeah, the Multitap. Never bought one of those, and likely never will. :p Too much effort for a feature that should be in from the get-go.

Personally, I do think the PS2 controller is better for FPS', having the second analogue stick. I don't think I can get my head around ABXY as a substitute for a second analogue stick with the Dreamcast. D:

Ah, yes, I've played the 2004 Demo for Mac, Assault mode is a lot of fun.

jesus.arnold
rank 5
Posted:
Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:58 am
quote : #15
well, i got fed up with waiting and had the opportunity to borrow the PS2 version of Unreal Tournament (PAL version) for a week, so here is every difference i noticed between the two versions (i'll try to be as accurate as possible, but may make mistakes) also, i don't have a PS2 multitap, so comparisons will only be single and 2 player modes

1 player deathmatch levels available

PS2 - 23 levels
DC - 46 levels

2 player deathmatch levels available

PS2 - 7 levels
DC - 27 levels

2 player CTF levels available

PS2 - 4 levels
DC - 5 levels

2 player modes available

PS2 - deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Mutators (you can't seem to play Domination, Assault or even Team Deathmatch multiplayer)
DC - deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag, domination, mutators

Mutator options

PS2 - 7 different options
DC - 11 different options

Number of Characters

PS2 - 21 (includes female characters)
DC - 19

there is an option to reduce gore in the PS2 version

the graphics resolution seems to be crisper and cleaner on the DC version (out of me and my 2 friends, all 3 of us agreed that the DC version had better graphics) there do, however seem to be a few extra graphical elements in the PS2 version

all load times are longer on the PS2 version, and are, in actual fact much of the time up to twice as long as the DC version, there are also more occasions where it needs to load (demos)

There is no 60hz option in the PS2 version

The PS2 version has a demo mode, if you leave it for long enough it will go through the long process of loading up the demo, then when you want to stop the demo it has to load up the menu screen

The PS2 version has the Assault game mode (single player only)

Controls wise, the PS2 easily wins out, the DC controller simply does not have enough buttons to play this game properly, and pushing up on the d-pad for secondary function is unacceptable, however both versions have mouse/keyboard support which is the best way to go anyway

the PS2 version was never online (makes little difference now though)

there is speed differences between the two versions (the enforcer fires at a slower rate in the PS2 version) this may however be due to PAL optimisation

Frame Rate

The PS2 version seems to have a more consistant frame rate from one level to another (the difference is not massive by any means), whereas some levels on the Dreamcast run substatially better than others

however, it must be said that a lot of this is probably due to the fact that the PS2 version limits your options a hell of a lot more than the DC version (for instance, on a single player practice game on flux, you can only add a maximum of 1 bot)

you are limited to 1 bot on 5 out of the 23 single player levels, most of the others have a maximum of 3 bots, the only stages that allow more than 3 bots seem to be the levels exclusive to the PS2 version

also, i'd like to point out that if you were to use the guide on this website for which levels run with the best frame rates (top 13 and average sections) and only play those levels, you would still have access to more levels than the entirity of the PS2 version