Page 1 of 1
Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:05 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Update: great, not only do I post in the wrong forum but also about something that has been posted before. I swear I used the search function but I totally missed it. Sorry. However no conclusion was reached in the other topic since it ended up straying offtopic so maybe it'd be interesting to give it another try.

They're still online but apparently unusable. I say "apparently" because I wasn't able to test all possibilities. The only thing you can still do for sure is browsing the net rankings.

This is the URL: http://daytona-eu.dricas.ne.jp/

It'd be great if someone with an original PAL GD (it has to be original, and PAL) of the game could try getting to the site from the "Homepage" option in the menu and checking if he can upload/download data.

Trying to download from the pc is useless: nothing happens. Trying to upload ghosts or replays gets you the message: "INFOMATION [sic] Please re-access the Daytona USA HOMEPAGE." That's basically what you get if you try to upload something from the French, German, or Spanish site. If you try to do it from the English site, you get the same message but with some extra information: "The data cannot be uploaded from this browser."

So I rushed to my DC. Unfortunately, I don't yet own an original version of the game, so you can't boot the web browser from within the game. An original GD is needed.

After the failure, I tried to do it from the DK3.1 GD I ordered from Sega. The problem is that I can't recall what happened exactly. I do remember I wasn't able to download anything (again, nothing happened). I couldn't upload anything either, I got the "INFOMATION" message but I can't remember if the "Data cannot be uploaded from this browser" part was present.

This is why the last chance would be if someone could try accessing that site from the built-in browser in the Daytona USA GD. If someone manages to do it and data transfers still work (which I doubt) it'd be nice if he could also download the fastest ghosts and replays so they don't end up caught in oblivion. Oh and we might need to check this fast, since we don't know how long the site will last... I'll post about this in a moment.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 am
quote : #2
Sega Japan will remove all their "dricas" websites in September 28th Confused

Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:51 am
quote : #3
JKKDARK wrote:

Yeah, that's why I said we should hurry up Sad

Also, I was thinking if it'd be worth it to try and mirror as many sites as we can. I have some free time right now so I might start doing it. It'd be really sad to lose all the PSO BBS's. Can anyone help with this? I'm currently experimenting with the Heritrix web crawler.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:55 am
quote : #4
Type: Pal
Which exact browser is included with Daytona pal?

Laters
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
JKKDARK wrote:

Do you have any links for this on Dricas related sites? Have known about it since it was first announced at GameFront but as always I try to nail down more specifics before posting anything on the front page of OC.

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Yeah, that's why I said we should hurry up Sad

Also, I was thinking if it'd be worth it to try and mirror as many sites as we can. I have some free time right now so I might start doing it. It'd be really sad to lose all the PSO BBS's. Can anyone help with this? I'm currently experimenting with the Heritrix web crawler.

No need to worry about this. I have archived practically every single dricas homepage. My web archive is quite extensive. Also, I have acquired all of the Dreamcast download content from these websites as well.

The only catch is that I don't plan to actually release my web archive any time soon. I don't want to release stuff prematurely as some random internet blurb before I am finished. I would rather package everything together and give it all the attention it deserves as a complete all inclusive archive. It will all be publically released eventually, but I have no idea how or when. I want to do it right.

In the meantime you are more than welcome to archive stuff on your own of course. The application you want to use is called " w g e t " but don't type out the actual name of this app without the spaces in the forums. It is flagged as a command and will cause your post to error out. Setting up the application to work right can take a long long long time, because to archvie sites properly you need to build a command sequence. See the programs readme for full details on the apps functions. It runs from command line.
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:32 pm
quote : #6
Blast wrote:

Laters

I'm not sure, probably some version of DK 2.0, since there is a dp2.ini file inside the GD with all the browser settings. From your question, I assume you don't have Daytona, right? Any help is welcome anyway.

lordnikon wrote:
Do you have any links for this on Dricas related sites? Have known about it since it was first announced at GameFront but as always I try to nail down more specifics before posting anything on the front page of OC.

Some months ago Sega said it'd be discontinuing all support for the DC, as you probably already know. After that, only some weeks ago, Sega issued another news post reminding us about support termination. I read about it on Kotaku, which linked to Sega's official announcement here.

I was puzzled by how they mentioned the dricas.ne.jp domains in a support termination notice, so I feared for the worst. I contacted someone on another forum (a quite big retro gaming BitTorrent tracker) who was kind enough to translate it for me, since online translators wouldn't say anything coherent enough to draw a conclusion. He said:

termis wrote:
Welll, I looked at that site, http://sega.jp/topics/070907_1/

and it's basically saying that _part_ of the xxxxx.dricas.ne.jp sites (where xxxx equals some game name) are going to close. So some will stay open, but some will shut down starting Sep 28th.

Hope that helps.

Even if it's just "part" of them, it's bad news anyway. I doubt his translation is erroneus, plus as you say, there's another source (Gamefront), although I wasn't aware that they had noticed about that, since it's not a site I usually read.

lordnikon wrote:
No need to worry about this. I have archived practically every single dricas homepage. My web archive is quite extensive. Also, I have acquired all of the Dreamcast download content from these websites as well.

Well, that makes me feel MUCH better now, lol. I will try to do the mirroring myself too, since I think that more people having the data means more possibilities of preserving it in the future. I didn't know the program you mentioned was so powerful, since I had only used it to download hard-to-get files, but I guess even the smallest command line app can become really useful when used in a good script.

Anyway, I fully agree with the way you intend to make it release it. I recently downloaded a full mirror of a now gone site, and I was pleased to see how much care had been taken to put everything on its place.

Edit: btw, just for curiosity, were you able to "save" the different PSO message and 'visual' BBS?

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:54 pm
quote : #7
Type: Pal
Segata Sanshiro wrote:
Blast wrote:

Laters

I'm not sure, probably some version of DK 2.0, since there is a dp2.ini file inside the GD with all the browser settings. From your question, I assume you don't have Daytona, right? Any help is welcome anyway.

I was just wondering if you operated your DC with the lid removed you could swop the appropriate Dreamkey just before activating the link/option. Probably wont work but a possible option to try if you are hell bent on doing it Smile

Laters
Posted:
Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:53 am
quote : #8
Blast wrote:
I was just wondering if you operated your DC with the lid removed you could swop the appropriate Dreamkey just before activating the link/option. Probably wont work but a possible option to try if you are hell bent on doing it Smile

Laters

Heh, well I really think it'd be great to backup those files but I'm not doing that sort of nasty things to my Dreamcast Razz

I tried uploading/downloading from the PC again, since there is little left I can do with the DC. This time I changed the browser's user agent to "AmusementVision/DAYTONAUSA" and then to "SEGA/Custom" but none of them worked. Those are the two user agents found in the dp2.ini file. I still got the "wrong browser" message so I guess it just won't work. But still, it'd be nice if anyone who has the original GD gave it a try.

rjay63
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:45 am
quote : #9
Greetings, does anyone have a complete list of the old worldwide rankings? I have found some highlights at http://www.amusementvision.com/products/daytona_usa2001/index.html#overview but these are just the top 10 times, mainly with the Javelin & Unicorn cars. I am particularly looking for Hornet & Rule Of The 9th times so I can compare. Cool

BTW if anyone can provide some ghost/replay downloads, I would very much appreciate it (I own the PAL version).

Thank you in advance.
Posted:
Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:58 am
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
I checked, and while I do have an archive of the PAL dricas Daytona USA website, I don't have any of the rankings. I don't know why this is. Either they weren't working when I archived the site, or I archived this so long ago that I was using a poor archival method that missed out on the ranking and ghost file data.
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2010 10:12 pm
quote : #11
No matter lordnikon, thanks for looking anyway! Smile
Posted:
Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:13 pm
quote : #12
OK so I have found the old Japanese 'dricas' page at http://web.archive.org/web/20010817123932/daytona.dricas.ne.jp/nof_index.html. No ghosts/replays and a few broken links (to be expected) but they have the rankings I need to compare. Smile The UK dricas page is also there but only a skeletal homepage so it's not worth bothering with.

Does anybody have the old rankings for Metropolis Street Racer (either US or UK versions)? I'm working on a basic site to upload my own ghosts and would help me a great deal. Thanks in advance.
Posted:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:57 am
quote : #13
Bit of a necrobump this (over 13 years..wow), however I learned a few PAL/US Dreamcast rankings were actually removed by Sega themselves during the latter part of 2001. I know Sega Europe began winding down the Dreamarena operations in June/July 2001 by letting a lot of the administration staff go (or moving them to other jobs).

Here's a link to an archived Ezboard topic that mentions this during the topic: https://web.archive.org/web/20020114214015/http://pub6.ezboard.com/fgamerszone64493frm11.showMessage Range?topicID=61.topic&start=61&stop=80