Page 2 of 2
idrepublix
banned!
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:01 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
kingofgrills wrote:
Headhunter is truly one of the best games to grace the Dreamcast. I played it through, and it just floored me - I didn't want it to end. I can't wait to play the sequel, which is coming out in a couple of months. Unfortunately, it will be available just on the PS2.

After playing through Headhunter and also Half-Life, which was never released, I'm convinced that we never really got to see the best of what the DC had to offer us.

You'll be glad you're mistaken HeadHunter Redemption isn't limited to the increasingly aging and half-assed PS2.

Headhunter Redemption is slated for release for the XBOX as well ;27th Feb in Uk and 11th May in NA.

Posted Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:09 pm:

I still don't think the Dreamcast got the full potential. I think at max it can run games to maybe half the power, if not a little more, to the PS2.

Headhunter though. Mmm. Gorgeous. And that ending to it was just CHILLING! I await the sequel. Very Happy[/quote]

I don't know if what yopu're trying to say is that the DC only runs at abot half the power of the PS2, but if that's what you're saying, you're immensely mistaken.

The DC hasd many advantages over the PS2, mosdt notably in video RAM and anti-aliasing. It wasn't that the Headhunter PS2 port got 'reamed' - the weakness of the PS2 ins underlined by the many DC-PS2 ports as well as more recent multiplatform releases - mosty notably ECCO, F355, Soul Calibur 2 - and the absolute worst offender of all, Sonic Heroes, the PS2 port of which has been absolutely thrashed for its speed and framerate, something that the DC has proven over and over it can handle better than the PS2.

I don't like the PS2; thay however doesn't mean I thrash it as a stupid fanboy. However the weakness of the PS2 is extremely clear and saying that the DC runs at only a little over half the power of the PS2 is nothing short of ludicrous.
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:19 pm
quote : #17
I never meant bad by it. I love my Dreamcast. Razz I know it has 8mb of VRAM over PS2's crappy 4mb. I know it has anti-aliasing. However, you can't deny that the processor power of the DC is, for some reason, lacking. To me, the frame droppage in UT is totally inexcusable. I don't if it was due to just bad programming, or just that the DC really couldn't handle it.

And what I meant that, at the time of DC's death, we only saw the Dreamcast go to like maybe half the power of the PS2, if not matching it. I'm sure there's things the DC can surely MATCH against the PS2. However, with the lack of support or any recent jaw dropping games, it's kind of hard to back that up. :/ That's what I think anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy. In fact, I despised the PS2 for the first year mostly because its library sucked horrendously. But it got better with time. I mostly look at a console for it's quality games, much of which I personally think the DC had. Right now, I love my DC, PS2, and GCN. No Xbox yet, though. They've yet to prove to me that I should own that big hunka plastic.
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:25 pm
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U/C
The newscasts were brilliant! Did anyone else think the same? Laughing

-Mytho

idrepublix
banned!
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:31 pm
quote : #19
Look at ECCO and f355 - even REZ. You'll see that in many areas the DC simply does outdo the PS2. Pathetic framerate is the result of poor pogramming, not the hardware - otherwise you will have trouble explaining the sily smooth framerate of Soul Calibur among others. And then the PS2 - Soul calibur 2 has noticeable framerate drop and slowdown - how can you explain that? Even 2d ports are stil superior on the DC.
Mere processor power on its own doesn't mean a thing. Again, saying that the DC only had hafl the power of the PS2 is inexcusably ludicrous. You're talking about matching the PS2s power? How do explain the inferior PS2s ports of DC games? Soul Calibur 2's jaggies and slowdown?

And about Half-Life - the game you and everyone and their mother has played is NOT THE FINAL BUILD of the game. The final game, as witnessed by many game reviewers, is much superior to the rip we have al played.

As for XBOX, as much as I hate MS as well, you can't just dismiss at as a 'hunk of plastic'. The SEGA and Tecmo games are reason enough to give it attention. For me personally, there are many more reasons to own an XBOX than be stuck with a PS2 and its increasingly inferior multiplatofrm ports.
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:12 pm
quote : #20
Oh c'mon now. You're making me sound like I hate it all. Razz

To me personally, the Xbox is an awesome console, in respects to power. However, I believe it lacks some good quality games. (Though Ninja Gaiden catches my eye a lot).

And I just like a lot of PS2 games.

And I like a whole bunch of DC games.

But what I'm saying is I don't think there's been a game out for the DC that actually shows how much power there REALLY is. I guess I'm just blabbing on now.
aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:36 pm
quote : #21
Hmm, I remember playing this game at a buddies house. Is the boss a giant zombie dude named Adam or something? lol.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:26 pm
quote : #22
no man, dont think so, but then i havent beaten it in a long time.

come on you guys this isnt a console war, im SURE nikon wouldnt approve if he found us slating consoles and stuff.

you are both right about the dc being awesome and being cut short, i believe it couldve wiped the floor with ps2, and did quite often, simply compare the ports of DOA2, Resident evil veronica, and others already mentioned, and you will see that the dc could perform much better, and it had only been around a couple years at the time, obviously its hardware had more potential, but no one can say how good the software it might've had would be. and the XBOX is currently the only console worth having, while i dont mind the ps2 for some of its earlier games like iko, zone of the enders, and the armored core series, they pale in comparison to the games on and coming to xbox. halo alone is reason enough to own the beast. then theres crimson sea, panzer dragoon orta, jet set radio future, gunvalkyrie, project gotham 1&2, sega gt online, pso X, and many new ones coming soon including phantom dust, half life 2, armada 2, and i forget the rest. anyway the point was that headhunter is a masterpiece and does the dc much justice, it does however fail to show us the dc's full potential, which i believe would have passed ps2, simply because it performs better and at higher frame rates, in my experience any way.
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #23
There was never any console bashing or war here, read the posst first before you make it look as if we said things we never did. No one was 'slating' consoles. Please don't imply or insinuate things that were not said.

Nor did I ever say HH showed us the full potential of the console - and you have to remember that HH was rushed to release for the 2001 holiday season along with the other DC major releases at the time, Shenmue 2 and Virua Tennis 2. Hence the lack of the originally announced online biking component, and the bugs. The ps2 release had no such rush and had times to have bugs and framerates smoothed over - these fixes are the result of more dev time, hardly proof of the PS2s supposed and non-existent superior power. Ten 9/11 happened and everything went to seed, from basic human decency to the truth and even PA.

in any case no DC gamer will eevr say that the DC's full potential had ever been seen by us. Shenmue 2 and headhunter were the beginning fo what could have been the next generation of visually and otherwise outstanding titles. We definiterly have not seen everything the DC had to offer. Its life was tragicaly cut short, and it was never allowed to develop to its ful potential. It' s mind-blowing to think what could have been seeing as many of the DCs games still standd out today - particularly next to the PS2 - and when DC online gaming has yet to be surpassed as a cohesive online console gaming experience.

Also, ulrtapro, you're absolutely wrong about Adam. Adam was the secret Zewiberg project that the whole mystery centered around in Headhunter, the 'superspecies' prototype designed to wipe out humans from the face of the earth. He was a boss fought twice in the game, and so yes, he definitely WAS a boss, and the most important one at that. It was nasty seeing him naked though with his obvious **** hanging there. Yech.
Posted:
Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:14 am
quote : #24
yeah when is the sequel released its a must buy!

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:09 pm
quote : #25
sorry mate i did say i wasnt sure cos i hadnt played the ending in a while, as you said read the post before replying, i did read yours and it seemed like one ups mans ship to me sorry if i was wrong and i didnt say that you said headhunter had shown us the dc's full potential, i said i didnt think the dc had been given enough time to show us its full potential, i dont care about all the rest and its really not that important, i simply said that the dc is impressive and can handle most things if its given the attention required.

so back to headhunter anyone??? the sequel is out in the next 2 months apparently, it looks great but i hope they dont turn it into a mgs2 type game where jack wade gets replaced by some unknown character no one cares about. anyway theres a thread running about headhunter 2 in the lounge, check it out guys.

i take it you didnt say this then in your previous post?

"You'll be glad you're mistaken HeadHunter Redemption isn't limited to the increasingly aging and half-assed PS2. "

and i obviously didnt say these things about my opinion on the dc did i?

"you are both right about the dc being awesome and being cut short, i believe it couldve wiped the floor with ps2, and did quite often, simply compare the ports of DOA2, Resident evil veronica, and others already mentioned, and you will see that the dc could perform much better, and it had only been around a couple years at the time, obviously its hardware had more potential, but no one can say how good the software it might've had would be."

dont tell me to read posts again because i always do, if something i said was uncalled for then i apologise but i think in this case you misread me and your own messages
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:09 am
quote : #26
i won this off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076331033&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

good deal? or no?
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:40 am
quote : #27
ultrapro wrote:

dont tell me to read posts again because i always do, if something i said was uncalled for then i apologise but i think in this case you misread me and your own messages

You need to calm down and take a breath and let your eyes and not your imagination read. There was never any 'one ups manship' (sic) intended.

My comment about the PS2 being half-assed and aging was a legitimate comment relfected by many among the gaming press and community today. Every cross-platform port on the PS2 looks bad next to GC and XB ones. It was over-huped, and over-specced pre-release. Nikon's resentment of Nokia being the possible cause for the shutdown of sega servers for dc games - and I definitely believe their purchase of SNAP killed ChuChu Rocket is justified. So is my resentment for SONY's false thrashing of the DC and false claims of the PS2 being ten times more powerful than it.
On top of that it was only a statement, not 'console bashing' as you insinuated. Again, get your eyes to read and not your imagination - where did I say that you said anything about he DC lacking in power? Nowhere. Jonsoku did, yes, and I quoted him, not you.
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:32 am
quote : #28
Type: NTSC-U/C
I would say you got a good deal Koda. As long as the discs work, and the case is in nice condition.

Right now, I'm trying to get a new copy of the game, but it's tempting to buy the PS2 version (it's cheap and one of my favorite games of all time).

-Mytho

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:50 pm
quote : #29
what ever man, i agree with you that the dc is not inferior to the ps2 this is my whole point lets forget the rest huh? i just read what was being said and interpreted it as such if you dont think its console bashing then thats fair enough, i just read what was there, no biggie man, anyways if anyone says that dead or alive 2 looks better on ps2 again i sware i will slap them. my mates here keep on blabbing stuff like that and i just laugh, thats all you can really do when thinkin about the unholy murder dreamcast suffered, laugh or i WILL cry.