Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
stickybuns
banned!
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Tokyo xtreme racer 2 is the best ye dc racer its got such realstic grafics even looks more real than tokyo 3 on ps2 and it just came out tokyo xtreme racer 2 is very ye addictive 60 frames per scond 2 aye tokyo 3 on ps2 only runs at 30 and car's look fake so what is ye favorite dc racer game?
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:25 pm
quote : #2
While Tokyo Extreme 2 is undoubtedly awesome in apearance, presentation, and sound....I have to lean more to something that has better control. When I thumb through my collection, I arrive at a tossup. Daytona USA 2001 or Test Drive LeMans. I cant make up my mind which I like more, but from me and my perspective, they are the best.
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:04 pm
quote : #3
This is actually a very hard question to answer - the DC simply has a lot of really good driving games. I typically race with a Mad Catz MC2 Racing Wheel, so my thoughts are based on using that instead of a regular controller. Here are my favorites:

Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 - The graphics are really amazing, and the gameplay is a great mix of simulation and arcade racer. I have lived in Japan, and I've spent quite a bit of time in Tokyo, and I can tell you that the presentation is highly acurate. The streets, the background buildings, The Rainbow Bridge - it's just like the videotapes I've taken on visits. You definitely need a good steering wheel for this one. Otherwise the control will be difficult.

Test Drive: Le Mans - A truly great racing simulator. Pit stops, accurate car classes, varying weather conditions, a good sense of speed, and most of all, amazing graphics. If you do not have this game in your collection, hunt it down right now. It also makes a great split-screen party game for 4 racers. This game is great with a steering wheel, but it is also very manageable with the regular controller.

Ferrari: F355 Challenge: A very challenging road simulator. It has the toughest gameplay I've found in a racing game (Monte Carlo Gran Prix is also tough, but not as good), great graphics, online play (yeah, baby!), and good control - if you use a racing wheel. Oh, and did I mention the fact that you're driving a Ferrari? Okay then.

Sega GT: Initially, like just about everyone else, I thought the control sucked and the physics don't feel right. Then, I tried it with a wheel and tuned the cars some. If you do that, it really becomes a fun game with great graphics and good gameplay. By the way, I'd first advise that you turn off the background music in the options menu. Don't even try playing this game without a steering wheel.

Gran Turismo 2/Bleemcast: Wow. The combination of gameplay, car selection, and driving physics of Gran Turismo 2 can't be beat. Add Bleemcast unleashing the Dreamcast's graphics on GT2 and just sit back and enjoy. My Playstation and PS2 friends jaws dropp and they get a bit pissed when they see what Bleemcast does to GT2 on the Dreamcast. I imagine that was the same reaction the execs at Sony had before making it a mission to shut Bleem down. I must admit this is the racing game I end up playing the most on Dreamcast. The combination of gameplay, car selection, driving physics, along with good graphics is tough to beat.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:38 pm
quote : #4
anyway the dc's best racing game has to be four wheel thunder, its best driving sim is either sega gt or lemans 24hr. however there are other racers i simply adore, such as mag force racing, msr, tokyo highway challenge 1&2, f355, hydro thunder, speed devils and so on. its hard to choose one but four wheel thunder does it for me
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:12 pm
quote : #5
same as ultrapro sega GT rules!!

ferrari f355 is cool to its a hard choice!

SpinDash
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:43 pm
quote : #6
MSR!!

Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate - February 26 2004
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:46 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Man I am really really really biased towards MSR. Why? Well I really LOVE driving around in Tokyo at night time. Thats it. I just like driving around tokyo at night in the game. The Graphics are amazing. The architecture is more futuristic, buildings with lights on all over the place, so great. I just like flipping on some beats and cruising around admiring the great graphics and working on my kudos skills. I jsut really like this game. Yes I am an MSR fanboy. I do admit other dreamcast racers are definatly better in technical racing aspects. However I myself am partial to MSR.
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:58 pm
quote : #8
nikon, you oughtta play some TXR2! Thats all it is....driving around Tokyo at night. Razz
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:05 pm
quote : #9
My favorite racer on DC is SF:2049, this game is fast and has a lot of options as well. Episode 1:racer was really good too, a lot tracks and good graphics.

Last edited by freshcut_t70 on Tue May 04, 2004 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:15 pm
quote : #10
SoldierBlade wrote:
nikon, you oughtta play some TXR2! Thats all it is....driving around Tokyo at night. :P

Yea I played it finally most recently. Kool, but not as detailed as MSR, plus the gleam off the cars is not relative to the actual light bulbs. Its just a texture map with white dots rolling over the car....over...and over and over. Too fake for me.

Posted Sun 02.08.04 3:16 pm:

freshcut_t70 wrote:
My favorite racer on DC is SF:2049, this game is fast and has a lot of options as well. Episode 1:racer was really good too, a lot tracks and and good graphics.

Man SF Rush is a another fantastic example of the dreamcast to give that arcade look and feel. The way it renders the graphics in SF Rush, and other games like VOOT and Outtrigger, just makes me want to hug my dreamcast.
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:40 pm
quote : #11
aye i read yer reply car's dont look fake in tokyo cause of glare mate car's in tokyo in real life ye car's can get tons of glare on them look when ye goes trew tunnels and aye tokyo is funnest

(edited for flaming, you can discuss how much you enjoy a game but pointless bashing of another game is flaming, stop it)
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:29 pm
quote : #12
I don't get it. I strongly despise PGR for XBox, yet I'm spending time to perfect my turn in MSR? What's wrong with me?! Laughing

Actually, the music is cooler in MSR, and it makes me nostalgic. Plus, the cars don't handle like tincans with wheels. Very Happy

-Mytho

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #13
I liked that one POD2 racer, only because it was compatiable for broadband. That is until my brother broke the CD out of frustration Sad ...jerk

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:36 pm
quote : #14
Broke the CD out of fustration? Dude, you should of made him buy you a new copy of POD or break one of his CDs. Cool

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:38 pm
quote : #15
You know what I recently got POD2 for DC, I never had the chance to play it online. However even though there is no real hardcore single palyer mode...i really jsut like racing that game. Its got that oldschool graphical cheesyness to it. Just oldschool PC style polygons with simple textures. I really like POD2.