Topic: duke nukem on dc

Page 1 of 1
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:54 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
has anyone else here heard about it? i am getting very confused, i dont know about this file sharing crap i just want to download games and play them, whats it all about and how many ported games are there to download for dc??

http://sdl-dc.sourceforge.net/#duke
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:07 pm
quote : #2
That site is trash-e looking and keeps me from digging into its not in anyway user friendly... but I find this just a joke..

"NOTE: full version don't work because of memory limitation " you have to be joe king the DC can't handle Duke .. Ha .. more like poor programing

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:23 pm
quote : #3
thats what i mean man!! i hear all these things about games being ported and i feel left behind but i never actually find ways to get this stuff, bit like skotch mist if you ask me
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:59 pm
quote : #4
its bull
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:48 pm
quote : #5
They're cutting it close, trying to put Duke 3d on the DC. 3DRealms recommends a pentium with 16MB of RAM for the game, though it'll run on a 486 with 8MB of RAM. A 486 is about 33mhz (well, at least mine is anyway). The DC has 16MB of RAM, hm. Though it does run at a nice 200mhz. But they're still cutting it close otherwise, Duke3D doesn't take advantage of hardware, there was no such thing as OpenGL or Direct3D when it came out. It runs entirely on software, which will cause it to require much more resources than it would if it was using the hardware. That said, there's also the fact that Duke 3D isn't a DC game. They're porting it over, and since they're doing it in their freetime, and they're not an actual gaming company, it is not, and will not be, perfect. That's just the nature of porting things, especially from a PC to a console. So, there may be a case of bad coding somewhere, but it's mostly because these guys are amatuers. And seeing as how 3DRealms will never release it on the DC, you aren't going to get it working perfectly.

Oh, and by memory limitations, could that not mean space on the disc, and not RAM? Everything's gotta be uncompressed and, in a sense, "installed" on the disc for it to work on the DC. The Duke 3D disc for the PC had everything compressed into nice little packages for installation.

Just my two cents..

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:13 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quote:
3DRealms recommends a pentium with 16MB of RAM for the game, though it'll run on a 486 with 8MB of RAM. A 486 is about 33mhz (well, at least mine is anyway). The DC has 16MB of RAM, hm. Though it does run at a nice 200mhz.

If my memory serves me well, 80486s were produced (commercially) in these clock speeds: 20Mhz, 25Mhz, 33Mhz, 50Mhz, 66Mhz, and DX4's at 100Mhz.

Quote:
Duke3D doesn't take advantage of hardware, there was no such thing as OpenGL or Direct3D when it came out. It runs entirely on software, which will cause it to require much more resources than it would if it was using the hardware.

I would think that that would be the biggest problem with homebrew ports of older games. DOOM, RotT, and Duke Nukem 3D are entireely CPU dependent, the video card doesn't do any of the work other than minor display calculations (transferring data from system to monitor).

Quote:
Oh, and by memory limitations, could that not mean space on the disc, and not RAM? Everything's gotta be uncompressed and, in a sense, "installed" on the disc for it to work on the DC. The Duke 3D disc for the PC had everything compressed into nice little packages for installation.

Even if a full install of Duke3d was burned to disk, it is nowhere near 700mb. I could understand if maybe Duke 3d used extremely compressed files, and then decompressed them on the fly during gameplay, but that would be crazy and stupid.

Duke Nukem 3D on the DreamCast would be great, an excellent compliment to Rise of the Triad and the DOOM games. The only problem is, Duke 3D is considerably more advanced than DOOM and RotT. Build might not look like much, but it's pushing incredible amounts of numbers compared to DOOM and RotT. Because of the nature of emulation (and the 5-times rule of thumb), Duke Nukem 3D in it's entirety would be a lot more of a strain on a DC than we might imagine.

Doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means that it will probably be a more complex project than previously thought.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:49 am
quote : #7
Quote:
Even if a full install of Duke3d was burned to disk, it is nowhere near 700mb. I could understand if maybe Duke 3d used extremely compressed files, and then decompressed them on the fly during gameplay, but that would be crazy and stupid.

16mbyte RAM is where Duke3D should fit in at all.
that means the complete levels as well as gaming engine, gfx and sound...
don't forget the interpreter/compiler for the coding langue.
otherwise you'll have to get some advanced streaming routines to
load data from disc while playing

Chris