Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well in the last day or so it was announced that Sega would be making 2 new titles for the flailing N-Gage platform from Nokia. One of those titles being Alien Front, which once graced the Dreamcast as "Alien Front Online". Alien Front also has a two-player deathmatch mode via Bluetooth wireless technology and the possibility to share game statistics with the world via the N-Gage Arena. (It will not have online-multiplayer over distances, only direct wireless deathmatch.)

I couldn't help but bring this to people's attention. Atleast just to note that a once online dreamcast game, which is sorely missed, is now making its way to another gaming platform....of sorts.

This news thread is kind of just pointing out "hey look, it's coming out for that". I am not making the thread to endorse or build hype. Simply facts.

Author's Note: If your getting all excited, and looking for another place to blow your money. Stop, breath and think for a few minutes before you make any rash decisions. The game will be sub-par, there is no way it can even compete with the original on dreamcast. Unless you have a ngage already and a buddy to play against, then just kinda wait or something till these things can be bought for pennies.

Also note that Nokia is most likely the cause of the Dreamcast servers closing in June of 2003. They purchase sega SNAP middleware networking technology from sega to use with their N-Gage platform. It is my personal opinion and consipiracy theory that Nokia gave Sega an ultimadum to disconnect all servers utilizing the SNAP technology for the contract to be signed.

Interesting news non-theless.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:01 am
quote : #2
ya I read that yesterday (you late lord!) its cool but Im not buying a Ngage, no real online multi-player and no voice chat!!!! O and Sega said back in Dec 02' they would only extend it by 6 months, I don't really think it was a consipiracy about the servers... But like you said if I owned one I would get it, next best thing for AFO before a real console release which I hope happens if this sales well

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:26 am
quote : #3
Alien Front was a wonderful game on the Dreamcast, it's just a shame that they decided to port it on the N-Gage. I'd give that hybrid system until summer, then they'll shelf the pos.

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:48 am
quote : #4
d00d i hate ngage who could pay 300 dollars for a crappy phone game thing, i never got to play afo tho
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:56 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hundreds of dollars to play crap, or $10 to pick up a superior DC copy..?

Let's think here for a moment...

How about no, Scott?

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:34 pm
quote : #6
End the Ngage trash talk you two are being very stupid do the math.
-A good color phone go for 150 and up without a plan to take down the price
-100 for the cost for the system" that is almost the same as PS, and million times better then the SP which is only 20 cheaper
-Plus a 100 dollar for a MP3 player
-and its bluetooth support ...

add it up and you get a nice version of a phone, mp3 player and games in a new class for phone games all in one and a low for what it can do price... stop your bitchin get a job and maybe you could buy one ... true about AFO for new on DC for only 10... but still the games for GBA go for 50-40 I bet you all never even played it, but the screen could have been a bit bigger...

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:47 pm
quote : #7
small screen, have to get the mp3 part, its still a terrible price. dont forget it is a phone and were comparing to the GBA and other phones. its just stupid that these catagories should mix.
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:44 pm
quote : #8
yeah ill buy a ngage when there under 50, which will be by the end of the year.
but the one mobile system i want to tide me over till the psp is the tapwave zodiac. HUGE screen, fantastic backlighting, and can use all palm aps.and we all know how many palm games are out there, and many for free!

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
dreamer!
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:24 am
quote : #9
yeah i think they should have ported it to the GC!

character stats!
dream
lv72
greenill
Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:17 am
quote : #10
Ya know that Worms World Party is also a cell phone game too, right? I dunno if it goes online or not, but it probably wont connect with DC users. Which reminds me, I heard there was a Worms World Party for PC. Can neboyd confirm if it connects with teh DC servers?
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:29 am
quote : #11
Thats a no

dreamer!
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:50 am
quote : #12
dont know!!

character stats!
dream
lv72
greenill
Link00seven
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:46 am
quote : #13
I never played AFO but if I see a cheap copy I'll defently pick up the DC version.

About the Ngage, I was quite interested for awhile, but I dont have $200 right now to blow on a system. I personally want to build a new computer, so I wanna save up for that. Or, i'd like to pick up an iPod.

Besides, i own a GBA SP, so an Ngage wouldn't have much use for me. My Nokia 1260, although it sucks, still works. I'll pick up an Ngage when it goes down to $100-$150 ^_^