Topic: DC<>PC LAN With Quake 3?

Page 1 of 1
Protoss
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:47 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I want to have a mini-LAN with my friend, me playing on the DC, and him on my PC. Is this possible throught the 56k Modem? Or would I have to actually use up one of my phone lines?

satoshi
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:25 pm
quote : #2
LAN only works with ethernet cables and a router/ 1 crossover cable between the machines. Seeing as how you've got a modem for your DC (correct?) you most likely WILL have to use up a phone line. Though I remember there being some PC proggy that would set up a "server" of sorts for your DC to connect to via modem. It would then route that traffic over the net through your PC's ethernet adapter and DSL or cable line. I assume this would allow the DC to play against the PC on the same LAN by still using the modem adapter, but you'd need a PC to run the software (it would also have to have a modem and an ethernet adapter too). If I find out anything this Wednesday I'll tell you. (I'm going to a LAN party on wednesday and my friend is bringing his DC with Q3, and he wants to get a LAN game going, so I'll see how it works out and report back if there's any useful info).

Protoss
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:53 am
quote : #3
Ok Thnx, Just keep me posted!

satoshi
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:30 pm
quote : #4
Hey, sorry for the late reply. I asked my friend if the software I had mentioned would work, and he said he tried but with no luck... We didn't get a LAN game going with the DC, in fact we didn't even get the DC to play with the PC users (the host's parents wouldn't let us tie up the phone line...) Sorry man..

Protoss
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:55 pm
quote : #5
Ok No Problem, I tried it myself but with no luck Sad Too bad...Maybe someday some homebrew team will find a way or revamp Q3 in some way :S