Topic: It died...

Page 1 of 1
Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was playing Quake III last night for about 2 hours straight. When it was about 2:00am my DC started to make weird noises, apparently something with the GD-ROM. I didn't pay any mind to it since the DC usually is loud. So I paused the game and went into the kitichen for a soda and when I can back the TV was blank and the DC's power light was off.

I was crushed, and I started to panic. I tried to turn on the DC again, and it wouldn't work. I don't know if anyone knows what "burn't lead" or solder smells like, but that's what it smelt like. I instantly unplugged the power cable and began to take it apart. To my disbelief, one of the chips had a small hole in it as if it melted.

So tomorrow I'm going to have to drive to Tulsa to steal my brothers DC (which he does not use) because this was like an addiction to me. Has anyone had this same problem with their DC, or any console? I would like to get the scoop about why this happened.

L4T3NCY
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:10 pm
quote : #2
man... you must've been doing some hard core fragging last night Wink

It's possible a regulating component on the d/c's motherboard failed resulting the the chip getting overloaded...

You d/c's time came I think :'(

M4D |-|05T!NG & /\/\0DD4G3 @ TRASHTHESYSTEM.CO.UK
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:22 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C

*Plays Taps*

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:31 pm
quote : #4
Einhander wrote:
*Plays Taps*

hahaha

but seriously, too bad Slayer. but DC's are CHEAP and PLENTIFUL. i personally have 3 and want to get one more, probably a pal system, cause that blue swirl is real cool lookin. and i know someone arround here has 7!
gamestops got um for 19 and EB's got um for 15!

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:39 pm
quote : #5
Einhander wrote:

*Plays Taps*

AHHAHA thats classic
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:49 pm
quote : #6
It's just that I totally know how you feel when you lose a system. I lost my Saturn and my DC a little over a year ago when they were in the tunk of a friend's car. She got rear-ended by a truck, and her car was totaled.

She came out ok, only bumps and bruises, and she eventually got over her fear of driving again, which is good.

Some days after her accident, we went to the impound/junkyard so we could get our stuff from the car. She needed to get somethings from the glove box, and her car's registration. The rear half of her car was a mangled wreck, and I couldn't pry it open enough to get my systems back, but I don't think it would have mattered anyway.

I had found enough white, black, and shiny pieces of plastic to know it was a fruitless effort...

The good news is, just last month I was able to purchase another DC, and now I am back in game nirvana. Rebuilding my game collection really sucks, but it's a fun hobby. The internet has helped a little, adding Beats of Rage, and a Master System/GameGear emulator to the Ranks, along with a DC media Player, and a DC port of Tetris, which is (in my opinion) the greatest thing to ever be produced in Russia (check the game tatoo thread if you don't believe me).

Anyway, while some might think it is weird to grow so attached to an inanimate object, a lifeless hunk of plastic and copper wiring, I don't think it's weird when someone is sad when they lose a system. The nostalgic feelings... they grow on you.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:33 pm
quote : #7
L4T3NCY wrote:
man... you must've been doing some hard core fragging last night Wink

It's possible a regulating component on the d/c's motherboard failed resulting the the chip getting overloaded...

You d/c's time came I think :'(

Yea, you can say that Very Happy. Thanks for the info about the cause of it's death. I'll be doing some shopping on Ebay tonight to see what I can find, maybe I'll find some DC accessories that I don't have, too.

L4T3NCY
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:29 am
quote : #8
Go for it dude, I just got House of the Dead 2 and the B4D A$$ desert eagle light gun with blowback- it kicks so much arse...

DIE ZOMBIE!!! MUHAHAHAHA!

M4D |-|05T!NG & /\/\0DD4G3 @ TRASHTHESYSTEM.CO.UK
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:20 pm
quote : #9
Type: Pal
I had a m8 on an old forum ( now dead ) that I posted at. His previous job was fixing Dreamcasts and he once told me that somthing like 1 in 250 DC's catch fire when the break. Quite scary when you consider how often DC's break. They also did different tests on DC's and found them to be realy odd i.e identical DC's can surf at totaly differnt speeds when connected to the same ISP, this even happend in brand new DC's.

Im not in contact with him anymore but he was on te DC online scene under the name of Jimdub, I knowhes now on Xbox live most likely under the same name.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:28 pm
quote : #10
Man that is scary, I'm glad mine didn't catch fire. Why did Sega make them with such poor quality in the first place?

iamprince
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:50 pm
quote : #11
im sorry for your loss but they are not hard to find.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:06 pm
quote : #12
"*Plays Taps*"
lol

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:33 pm
quote : #13
Is there anything worth salvaging in my dead DC?