Topic: Dreamcast Dev Kit @ Ebay

Page 1 of 2
Keva
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
There is a dc dev kit for sale at ebay atm, its gonig cheap around £150 with only 18 hours left at time of posting!!

item is in the uk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3079482537&category=4303

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:28 pm
quote : #2
about $300 US... but without the know how and skill time ... to use it you just bough a expensive paper weight

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:15 pm
quote : #3
Yea, but paper weight or not, it still looks cool Very Happy I'm sure you could fiddle with it until you either figure out how to work it, or break it.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:33 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have the Kitana R9 devkit software along with al the manuals in PDF format. There is so much information my brain almost caved in from just staring at it all. To even take advantage of this you would have to be an expert programmer. Dead serious. This shit is as technical as it gets. NOT for amateurs.

Its a windows based machine with the included software and manuals. I have run the software. Its extremly technical. It is just their own core software. You then need all the necessary C and C++ and whatever hell else custom shit you would use to program with. So its not a standalone kit...its their tools they are providing to you....so you can add your own tools and do the rest. Trust me. Nobody should even think to purchase one of these unless they are at the technical level to uinderstand it, or are planning on going through intensive schooling in programming.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:36 pm
quote : #5
If you want more info on rare and dev stuff head over to http://assembler.roarvgm.com

[UKR]DreamcastUK
unknown
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:01 pm
quote : #6
well i am going to take a course in C++ as i had someone ask me not long again if i knew anything about C++ as they are making a homebrew version of the 1991 smash Arcade wrestling game WWF WRESTLEFEST...

i may bid on this on ebay because i collect Dreamcast SEGA Rare stuff.. don't buy this unless you know what your doing??? thats like saying don't drink because u know its bad for you or don't smoke because it will kill you?
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:37 pm
quote : #7
The knowledge required to use this to program is beyond what you will learn in a normal C++ course. You may be a collector but there are far more usable and valuable that you could get. For example the Mazora Dreamcast. These are also not THAT rare. Many homebrew developers even stay away from them for actual programing.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #8
The other major hurdle is, even if you aquire the dev kit, you can't really use it for anything besides your own person use. You cannot make something with this and release it. Its illegal.

Use KalistiOS, open source devkit. It can be used to program for a variety of platforms however is by far most applicable to the dreamcast.
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:14 pm
quote : #9
It's even illegal to own one in the first place but I think you could get away with developing something for it as long as it's not commercial as it would be hard to track who made it etc etc.

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:32 pm
quote : #10
i think its funny that someone has a dreamcast dev kit in their attic. where the hell do u get 1, and then put it in ur attic? attics are for macintosh classics lool not dev kits

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:10 pm
quote : #11
Metal_4evr wrote:
It's even illegal to own one in the first place but I think you could get away with developing something for it as long as it's not commercial as it would be hard to track who made it etc etc.

Its not illegal to own one, or to use one for your own personal uses or to distro software among friends. However, if you program something and then publically release it.....usually the homebrew scene will catch whiff of it. Which you will first be crucified for programming something using katana and releasing it.....THEN sega will prolly find out and decide to take action or not. I do know the homebrew scene is extremly against releasing any software using the official development kits because it is illegal.

Honestly I would use it for jsut education pruposes, then if one was to release anything official use kalistiOS, its a pretty solid dev kit.
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:11 am
quote : #12
hope you guys noticed the "0" feedback the seller has.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Keva
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:42 am
quote : #13
im going to buy a devkit soon but not this 1 id rather pay like £500 for a boxed complete dc dev kit then only £200 and get a half assed version with no leads manuals or anything

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:22 pm
quote : #14
Dark Slayer 5000 wrote:
Yea, but paper weight or not, it still looks cool Very Happy I'm sure you could fiddle with it until you either figure out how to work it, or break it.

lol, these are on sale all the times so ppl wanting to get them will have no trouble

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:28 pm
quote : #15
lol... I wish I had that kind of money. I'm still making payments on my Panasonic Q. Very Happy