1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:42 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
well its official the first DEDICATED Quake 3 Arena OC server is now online. It is also running off of Linux for maximum stability. It is colocated on major bandwidth and will be up 24/7.

I am dead tired i have barely gotten any sleep in 2 days. I am going to go to sleep now.

Its in the list for US gamers, here is the IP:PORT for pal gamers if they wish to attempt to connect.

66.96.192.39:27960

Play on it, let me know how it runs, incase i need to make any modifications to the config file.
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:13 am
quote : #2
is it now completely impossible to connect to quake with a PAL Q3? i seem to remember last time i tried it got stuck atthe 'Authentication' bit. If i can connect ill log onto the server sometime Smile

F355 and Starlancer reports Smile
MeltedIce
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:17 am
quote : #3
Nice! Lordnikon you are the man! Good Work! Im playing on it all night tonight Very Happy
Sega Swirl
Q3DM17er
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:47 pm
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:
Play on it, let me know how it runs, incase i need to make any modifications to the config file.

Server runs nice and smooth! :)

-Q3DM17er

YouBlowinMyHigh
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:09 pm
quote : #5
is it at normal quake3 server? meaning its not a mod server.. just deathmatch... just like it use to be on sega.net servers... i hope so .
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:45 pm
quote : #6
HateCrime: Yes the server is a standard Q3 Deathmatch server. All the maps, all the weapons, no mods. The servers OC will be running are identical if not better than the servers SegaNet was running. Linux based, un-modded servers, that are more secure and stabler than the sega based servers. Due to expert administration from OC's network admin, DrFeelgood.

Q3DM17er: great to hear it is running well

BrockStrongo: I am not sure about the PAL version. It is clear that the PAL version is not recieving the public list anymore. However nobody has yet to confim if it's internet capabilities are indeed dead. I honestly do not know how sega of europe set up their PAL version of Q3. It was dialup only, and they porbobly made adjustments to the game for it to integrate into dream arena and such. I don't have a copy of the PAL version so I cannot troubleshoot the recent problems users have been having. If you want to check please go to this guide:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_q3_cnsl.php

You need a dc keyboard to perform this. Use F12 to bring up the console menu, then use the ;raster command so you can open the console anytime anywhere. Then uuse the ;connect function to connect directly to an IP:PORT through the command console. It should connect you to the server, in theory.

------

I have to go to an NBA game tonight so I won't be back until very late. Eventually I plan to get atleast 3 Deathmatch servers running. Probobly more if possible. And also atleast 1 CTF server, and I vow to get that space ctf map working as well. As far as I know on the linux machine when I was running it locally...I had no problems with it in the map rotation.
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:24 pm
quote : #7
Great job Nikon Smile
Great ping!
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:50 pm
quote : #8
damn man, i need to try this again, i will give it ago, but if it dont work i might just get an ntsc version so i can join u guys once more.
Posted:
Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:43 pm
quote : #9
ill be on there tonight also
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:50 pm
quote : #10
I've now played already 5-8 hours on your server lordnikon, and I love it. :)

lordnikon wrote:
Eventually I plan to get atleast 3 Deathmatch servers running. Probobly more if possible. And also atleast 1 CTF server, and I vow to get that space ctf map working as well.

Great to hear, and thanks!

-Q3DM17er

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:09 pm
quote : #11
in general when u make a q3 server is it always being used?
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:39 pm
quote : #12
Q3DM17er wrote:
I've now played already 5-8 hours on your server lordnikon, and I love it. :)

Thats great to hear :D I hope to have the others up soon but, I have to learn how to set up symlinks in linux. So it will set up multiple servers running off the same single installation.

Posted Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:40 pm:

frokid879 wrote:
in general when u make a q3 server is it always being used?

only when users are playing on it
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:19 pm
quote : #13
what i mean is are people always playing on it if it is up?
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:29 pm
quote : #14
Well from what I have seen the server has been packed non-stop since I put it up yesterday morning. Its been full all day today, people have just been playing and playing and play and playing.

These linux dedicated servers are a key to keeping Q3 not only alive and running....but healthy.
Posted:
Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:49 pm
quote : #15
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
BrockStrongo: I am not sure about the PAL version. It is clear that the PAL version is not recieving the public list anymore. However nobody has yet to confim if it's internet capabilities are indeed dead. I honestly do not know how sega of europe set up their PAL version of Q3. It was dialup only, and they porbobly made adjustments to the game for it to integrate into dream arena and such. I don't have a copy of the PAL version so I cannot troubleshoot the recent problems users have been having. If you want to check please go to this guide:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/content_q3_cnsl.php

You need a dc keyboard to perform this. Use F12 to bring up the console menu, then use the ;raster command so you can open the console anytime anywhere. Then uuse the ;connect function to connect directly to an IP:PORT through the command console. It should connect you to the server, in theory.

As I mentioned in another thread I already tried this multiple times with no positive result. If anyoneelse has had any luck with this please inform so I can figure out what Im doing wrong. Personaly I think it is now impossible to connect to any Q3 servers via Pal Q3. As I also said before if this is true then I think it should have a news story or at least sticky thread.

Well done with the OC servers Lord. I have yet to venture on but will do soon, especialy as its running standard games. Nice work.

Laters