Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
So i went to a mall about 30 mins from my house, went into some video store.. and saw Soul Calibur, MINT (but opened) for 15 bucks. I never dreamed that i would hold a copy of this game, but now.... auuughhhhhhh Very HappyVery Happy

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:29 pm
quote : #2
That's great! Soul Calibur is such a fun game. Very Happy

deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:51 am
quote : #3
that it is lucky you

aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:19 am
quote : #4
I know this game is pretty rare, but how much does it go for? (shrink wrapped/opened-mint)

hrb2k3
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:31 pm
quote : #5
thats awesome!! SC is def. a classic.
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:23 pm
quote : #6
soul calibur rare? you dont see it in the shops often and when you do in the uk its for about 25 quid at the most, but its far from rare online if you search on ebay it'll throw loads of results back man, theres 13 hits in the uk ebay site alone for auction and one for buy it now at 8 quid, but yeah its always great finding a good dreamcast game for sale cheap somewhere.
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm
quote : #7
Does the game have any VMU extras? Like mini games etc.
Thanks.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:25 pm
quote : #8
Hey, great score on Soul Calibur. Eventhough it was a launch title (in the US anyway), it still ranks as one of the best fighting games ever - on any platform.

I think you can generally find used DC games cheaper online when compared to a retail store (Electronics Boutique or Gamestop for example). In the US I regularly saw Soul Calibur around $24 after the Dreamcast's "death" announcement. More recently, after the release of Soul Calibur II for the remaining consoles, I've seen that price dip around $15 or so, which is still great considering that not much improved for Soul Calibur II - at least on the PS2, which is the version I own.

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think there are any VMU minigames for it. However, there are several unlockable characters, arenas, and artwork. I never went online prior to the DC announcement, so I don't know if there was downloadable stuff for Soul Calibur.

I bought Soul Calibur the day I bought my DC, and I almost passed on it. The clerk at Electronics Boutique was watching me look over the titles, and as soon as my hand left the Soul Calibur case he said, "You know, Soul Calibur is the greatest fighting game ever made."

Being new to the Dreamcast at that point I had never heard of Soul Calibur, but I didn't want to seem like an idiot, so I bought it. I've been happily enjoying it ever since.

Enjoy it!

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:51 pm
quote : #9
speaking of scores whats your fasted time thru the arcade mode on any difficulty setting? mine is (cant check to be certain as my dc is currently not working) around 1.00 and a few seconds for the whole arcade play thru, no continues, i play all the time as cervantes, i have played the orignal so much that i never have it set to lower than ultra hard in order to get a challenge out of it. i have to say tho that soul calibur, imo, is a hundred times better than the sequel. i have it on xbox and it has nothing on the original. its pretty much a rehash. and the graphics are quite dull, the dc one was beautifull anyone else find this?
Posted:
Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:43 pm
quote : #10
Ultrapro, your score is absolutely sick. ; ) I'll have to check my best score tonight when I get home, but I have a feeling it's not close to yours.

I don't know if I'd go far enough to say Soul Calibur I was 100 times better than the sequel, but I must admit I was very disappointed when I loaded the sequel on PS2. SC II is a great game, but the only thing it has that the original doesn't is the Weapons Master mode allowing you to unlock and use alternative weapons. That isn't a very inspired improvement over the original. I have Virtua Fighter 4 also, and the appearance is significantly better than Virtua Fighter 3tb.

I also agree that the graphics on the original Soul Calibur look better. Namco did try to cram more detail into the characters and environments, but I think it doesn't look as clean and sharp as the Dreamcast. Granted, it's still a great game, and I'll play it, but after four years of development time you would think they could improve on a Dreamcast launch title. Then again, did you ever play the arcade version of Soul Calibur? The graphics on that were awful compared to the Dreamcast version.

I guess that really shows how special the Dreamcast and Soul Calibur really are.

How are my little crackers doing today?
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:08 am
quote : #11
you said it man, the dc is awesome, soul calibur for dc looks amazing even today, soul calibur 2 is a great game but it only has minor improvements, and the gameplay is, i find, more difficult than the original, which is a damn rock hard game in its own right.

has anyone else here got the amazing golden screen when the game loads? it symbolises the completion of the game. i always love seeing that
Posted:
Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:19 pm
quote : #12
Type: PAL
Hello aflyingcow,

Great purchase, Soul Calibur is excellent. There are 2 or 3 minigames for the VMU of Soul Calibur but they are not on the GD-ROM, you must download them on internet. Namco did the minigames when Soul Calibur sold 1 million of copies. They are nice, you can download them here:

http://jeffma.51.net/vmgame/

The text adventure is on japanese though, the other is easy to play. I recommend the other VMU games on that site, specially Tiny Tetris!

asha
unknown
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:46 am
quote : #13
I got SC UK version for £15 from my local gamestaion and SC Jap version £9 of eBay