Page 1 of 1
Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:34 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I posted a while ago that my DC’s memory kept resetting. Well anyway, I opened my DC the other day and found the problem, turns out the battery is corroding out. I opened my DC a few months ago when the problem started and I couldn’t anything, the battery looked fine. Anyway, I just figured I would tell you guys to watch out for it, it took months after it started for it to become visible for me, and I’m guessing overtime it could cause more problems if left unattended to.

BTW, any of you know where I can find a replacement before I go searching?

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:08 am
quote : #2
One edge of the battery is sautered on, so you'd have to find another way to connect the replacement battery, because there are no clips or anything.

My battery has deceased as well, but it is because the previous owner had opend the DC up and fucked with the battery for some reason.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:39 am
quote : #3
Sega does do repairs to systems you know, well them and/or their official (not sure what to call them) at sega-parts.com I know when my systems battery goes which all will with 5-6 years im getting them to fix it

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:38 pm
quote : #4
I'd rather not pay $55, plus shipping costs, to send my beloved DC away to someone I don't even know so he can violently rip her open and replace all of her insides, mailing me back a DC that is a souless shadow of it's former self...

I could never do that to Sheila...

Sorry, I think I got a little carried away there. Anyway, $55 is a little steep for a repair, seeming as you could get two and three-quarters used DCs at that same price.

He's only gonna need a few bucks for the battery, and some form of reconnecting it. If you know a guy who sauters well, or you might even be able to find agame shop in your area that installs mod chips. They usually don't charge much for the installation itself, and it would probably be the safest way to go if you or your friends don't know how.

Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:24 pm
quote : #5
Connecting it isn’t a problem, I can do that myself. Hell, I spend so much time in PC boxes now going in my DC is thoughtless. I was just wondering what kind of battery it is. I looked around but I didn’t see any markings or anything, thought you of you might know.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:12 pm
quote : #6
Shoot. I was just cruising around online yesterday or the day before, when I came across a DC part website that had the DC batteries for sale. I thought it was odd, because they looked like VMU batteries except they had a metal tab attached to the side, which I assume had to do with soldering it to the console.

I'll go try to back track and find the website. They had just about every part for sale.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:47 pm
quote : #7
Please, please. It sounds like it would be a good resource to have around.

I have no clue where else I would find a DC CMOS battery other than a website.

Dark Slayer 5000
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:19 am
quote : #8
Einhander wrote:
Please, please. It sounds like it would be a good resource to have around.

I have no clue where else I would find a DC CMOS battery other than a website.

I took my old battery to the Wal-Mart jewlery section where they sell watches and showed them the old battery; they had them there. It cost me like $5. Sad

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:16 pm
quote : #9
I want a model direct from Sega, though. If I can't find one, then I would hit up Radio Shack, BiMart, and then WalMart (order of distance from my house).

Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:15 am
quote : #10
The battery inside the DC is an SANYO ML2430VS1 "LITHIUM "COIN" RECHARGEABLE 3 PINS" (at least that's the one it my model 2 DC)
They go for 3 bucks each online
http://www.tnrtechnical.com/anonshopperproduct.asp?sku=COIN+ML2430%2DVS1&mscsid=M13UUM275TMW9P15MJSG R8FR88500439

After looking at the way the battery is attached for awhile it looks light it might be a bit tricky to solder and if you mess-up you will probably short out the controller board. So my advice it practice up before you have at it. I’m gonna try removing the battery from the metal tabs that hold it in when I change mine. It looks like the safest way to go, but might not work because the tabs come with the battery, but here’s hoping.

EDIT: I’ll post a tutorial with pictures after I get mine fixed if you guys want

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:38 pm
quote : #11
Holiday wrote:
I posted a while ago that my DC’s memory kept resetting. Well anyway, I opened my DC the other day and found the problem, turns out the battery is corroding out. I opened my DC a few months ago when the problem started and I couldn’t anything, the battery looked fine. Anyway, I just figured I would tell you guys to watch out for it, it took months after it started for it to become visible for me, and I’m guessing overtime it could cause more problems if left unattended to.

BTW, any of you know where I can find a replacement before I go searching?

Yea I have been collecting broken DC's even, for their spare parts. Just incase one DC has a problem I can swap out the parts etc etc. With the Dreamcast being my favorite gaming system hands down. I am building up a collection of hardware for the future in case of any technical complications.