Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I'm haveing a problem with my dreamcast...

I just got a clear dreamcast case and I was trying to install it(thanks to ultrapro). The installation went fine but when I closed everything up and turned the dreamcast on, there was no image on the screen, as if it wasn't getting a signal. So, I reopened it up, checked if everything was fine and closed it up again. Turn it on again...and the same thing happend. So then I opened it a 3rd time, trying to find out what the hell I did wrong, closed it back up, and now it doesn't even turn on. So a frickin 4th time I open it up and now it's back to no signal. Someone, anyone, HELP ME!

By the way, each time I turn it on, the disc spins for about 5 seconds then stops...
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:39 pm
quote : #2
I can't help... But I will offer my sympathies. That does sound frustrating.
DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:54 pm
quote : #3
Ok, I opened it again, I actually got the disc spinning now but the picture still doesn't show. I tested my TV piece with my other dreamcast and it worked fine so I know that's not the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:14 pm
quote : #4
Put it back in the original case. Then you'll know if you've damaged it, or it's just the new case.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:36 pm
quote : #5
Wow, that's a tough one, man. Hopefully, you didn't experience a little static shock discharge (seriously) that fried a chip or two. Anyway, it would be very difficult to troubleshoot this over the web, but there's a couple of things you might try.

Carefully open up the DC and inspect all of your connections, especially around your power supply. Yes, you may have enough power to turn the light on and spin the disc, but it may not be enough to fully boot up. Underneath the main board toward the back is a white long plug with copper teeth plugs - make sure that is firmly pressed into the plug underneath.

You may want to also check the connections leading to your video output plug. Other than that, I can't think of anything to safely do without jeapardizing the DC further. There are a couple of repair guides floating around the web or on eBay, and they're pretty informative. I was able to solve my second DCs constant resetting problem, which centered around the power supply.

Good luck!

How are my little crackers doing today?
DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:13 pm
quote : #6
I checked EVERY connection and they all look fine. I guess I'll have to try one more time for good measures, if this doesn't work, then it's time for a new DC. I already tried putting it in it's old case and it had the same problem.
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:42 pm
quote : #7
try it upside down then if that dont work kick it really hard
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:53 am
quote : #8
try cleaning the lens
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:46 am
quote : #9
Yea, just get a wet q-tip and make circular motions over the laser lens.

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:51 am
quote : #10
Nothing is wrong with the lens, it reads games fine, it just doesn't show on the TV. I tried swapping it back to it's old case and it still has the same problem.
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:14 am
quote : #11
hmm, i think ii had this problem before. my dc turned on, but the screen stayed black.

now all i can say is, take everything apart again and install all the pieces 1 by 1 securely. starting with the bottom metal board. i think the main board has a black patch over 2 chips or something. or it may be on the metal cover. anyway, make sure the black patch completely covers the chip its supposed to. put the top metal board on, then the power board, gd, controller, etc. try to power on. if the screen doesn't show, then i dont know what to tell you..??
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:20 am
quote : #12
DRBagabundo wrote:
Nothing is wrong with the lens, it reads games fine, it just doesn't show on the TV. I tried swapping it back to it's old case and it still has the same problem.

You may want to try getting another AV cable that plugs into the back of you DC. Mine once didn't show up on the TV, so I wiggled it in the back and it showed up. See if it has a loose connection, or borrow a friends cable and see if that is the problem.

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:27 am
quote : #13
Read above

I already tested the AV Cable on my other dreamcast and it works fine. So it has to b something with this one. I already took it apart about 7 times already and I get the same result.
rank 13
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:35 am
quote : #14
hmmm... Dude, I'm very sorry. I understand that this is frustrating for you, I had a DC die on me before. You might want to invest in another one; they are $20 a GameStop and $15 at EB, if you can find them there.

DRBagabundo
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:17 pm
quote : #15
Damn man, that was my original DC from '99. I should've just bought another one and tried swapping on that one. This sucks man...