Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
dc4me
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:52 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I hope I don't get in trouble for this as I did mentioning this in another DC forum, but I just got a nero file for Half-Life, but I read that I should burn a "dummy" file with the game to make it load faster. Does anyone know anything about dummy files? Thanks for any help. Oh, and hello everyone, I'm new here. Smile

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:13 pm
quote : #2
i suggest u dont make a dummy file cause with a game that big it wont make too much of a difference. what dummy is: it is free space that the iso says is full, and this free space pushes the data to the outside. and if u took geometry u should know that the outside spins faster then the inside, kind of like a track where the runners on the out side have to run more for one look then the inside. think of running more as more data Smile what u need is this thing called auto dummy, which takes ur cue sheet and makes ur iso fill up with that blank space in the inside. so what u have to do is u have to take ur burned half life, put it in ur comp, and use CDRWIN (dont have to, but its the easiest) then click extract disks/tracks/sectors. select ur cd drive and hit start. o ya u need a target to where to put the .bin and .cue. once u have ur .bin and .cue u put it in some folder. (cue is a cue sheet, shows the layout of the disk, where tracks and shit go) so then i recommend u get this .exe called file dummy which will let u put in the blank space. if u are interested ill get u this link to the file, i just wanna go searching now. when u do this tho u have to leave 3 minutes left for the boot track (audio.raw) but i do 4 to be safe. then this program i used called autodummy gives me a .cdi. i dont think that when u get ur game ripped to the .bin and .cue it wont be self boot, but maybe it will. i did this when i was also making a dreamcast cdr bootable first then adding dummy space. uh so ya, ask for the link if u r interested
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:15 pm
quote : #3
Thanks for the quick response! Though I'm not very computer savvy, what you explained seem reasonable enough for me to do. So sure, please send me the link to that .exe file and I'll try to give it a go. If it's not absolutely necessary, I wouldn't bother, however a dummy file, according to its other purpose, is to minimize the damage done to the system when it reads CD-Rs. I suppose that's what really concerns me most. The faster loading is secondary. I'll give it a try. Thanks .

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:21 pm:

I read that some cdi or nrg files already have dummy files implemented into them, which increases their original file size to over 700MB. For example, the XDP stand alone web browser. The nrg Half-Life file I got, when extracted, comes to 546MB. So this means there isn't a dummy file implemented, correct? Just making sure, before I try it out.

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:28 pm
quote : #4
http://www.megagames.com/dc/files/dc_selfboot_kit.rar

there are directions in it. also has tools for selfbooting Smile
remember u need to take ur half life and make it into a .bin and .cue. then it will build and .iso. burn that, if its not self boot put it back in and make a .bin and .cue of that. then use command prompt (in xp go to run and type cmd, in 9x go to run and type command) and go to ur directory where that batch file called bin is (type cd to choose ur directory for where it is, for ex "cd c:\dc" and make sure u have ur new .bin and .cue in ur image directory and then type in the prompt "bin") and once u got ur batch file building ur self boot .cdi go burn it.

there is no dummy in that half life cd. the xdp cd if im not mistaking is not dummied, i think its full cause there is a lot of cool shit on it, but maybe. if u wanted to know u could put it in ur cd rom drive, and select all the files within the drive, and look at the properties. if its smaller then what the cd drive says then it is dummie. BTW i like those movies on XDP Smile

right now i am testing to see when u have just dummied it if it is selfboot or not that u could take a safe route and just not burn that iso but convert that to a .bin and .cue using ultraISO, then selfboot those thus saving u a cd

yayyyy i just did that method up there ^^ and it worked. u know how u can download planet web 2 off the internet? i just dummied that and selfbooted it and its coo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:08 pm
quote : #5
First, my laptop's cd-rom drive isn't supported by CDRWIN so I'm using my desktop PC right now and it works, but when I click START to create an image file from my disc, I get an error that says that "discs containing more than one session are not supported." Now what do I do? Sad I still have the nero file of the game on my computer. Is there a way I can extract that instead?

Thanks for all your help so far frokid, but I can't get anything to work right!

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:47 pm
quote : #6
fuck it doesnt like multiple tracks?? ill get out my half life and try to dummy it. ill get back to u

**BTW, get the newest version of CDRWIN from their site. it was released in march. the old version doesnt like my laptop drive but the newest one does
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:40 pm
quote : #7
i know how to selfboot games and stuf it always orks for me but im just wondering i cant get soul calibur to selfboot because its 78 minutes before its selfboot-a-fied but it need 3 mins for the selfboot hack and 80 min cdrs are the biggest out so i did it anyway and like i thot the image was to big for a cd any1 no how to reduce the 78mins to 77mins? (if only there were gd-rs...... Crying or Very sad )

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:36 pm:

any1?

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:48 pm
quote : #8
overburn Smile or u can downsample. it will probably work if u use nero. or u could just buy the game Laughing
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:56 pm
quote : #9
with overburn can u still get all the data or duz it just cut off

dc4me
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:11 pm
quote : #10
Alright, thanks frokid. I'm getting the newest version CDRWIN right now. I'll check back later.

hrb2k3
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:33 pm
quote : #11
i would also like to find out if dummying half-life will make it load faster. keep us posted.
Posted:
Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:54 pm
quote : #12
I was wondering then if there's an alternative way I can create a dummy file? Since CDRWIN won't let me create a .bin and cue sheet for my Half-Life game, I just tried ISOBuster to try to do that but I get another "unknown file" problem and therefore can't do that either. I don't understand what's up with this particular Half-Life nero image?

Anyway, I was wondering if there's a next best way to create a dummy file. I was looking through some sites and there are a bunch of dummyfile creators for DC. Are any of those a good idea?

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:32 pm
quote : #13
make what ever kind of image file ur comfortable with, then use ultra ISO and convert it to bin/cue, then use the dummy this. ultra iso has lots of options for lots of formats Very Happy
Posted:
Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:26 pm
quote : #14
Thanks frokid, but I just now managed to have ISOBuster 1.5 extract my nrg file! Very Happy Yes! So I just selected the "extract raw data" option and it extract my nrg file and created a .bin file. Am I on the right track so far? However, it didn't create a cue sheet. Do I really need that? Also, the .bin file is the same file size as the nrg file. Should I go on and use AutoDummy?

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:33 pm:

Crap, I do need a cue sheet to use AutoDummy! Why didn't ISOBuster create a cue sheet? Dammit, I'm gonna try again.

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:21 pm
quote : #15
ya use ultra ISO, its what i use.