1, 2, 3, 4  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok I am in deep shit right now. I just tried out Armada for the first time. WOW. Ok wether people know or not, I am extremly addicted to media with a DARK FUTURISTIC feel to it. Man this game is insane. It has a lot of insane elements that you would find in your standard sidescrolling/top scrolling shooter.......(for example this is in top shooter perspective). However its not really scrolling....its over a planar map.

Then.....wheel in the RPG element. Oh man. I could sit and play this game for hours. I mean. It's basically PSO meets Classic shootemup. I really don't know what to do right now. This is so overwhelming.

THIS GAME IS FUCKING DOPE.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2004 9:28 pm
quote : #2
Man! I heard about that game, and I want to buy/download it so bad! Hows it play? I know its kind of an RPG/sim/shooter kind of thing, but if someone told me PSO was basically a beat-em-up RPG i still wouldn't understand how it's so addictive. Wink
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2004 9:46 pm
quote : #3
Basically Armada is a RPG shootemup. You level just like you would in an RPG, and gain experience points and money ("credits" in this game). There is a main planet that you access and can fly down to with TONS of other ships that will basically give you tips on how to play the game. 2 ships refill your powerups and armor. So basically you start leveling just like you would in any standard RPG. (take for example PSO) You venture outward to gain EXP and evolve further to take on larger bosses and ships.

The cool thing is, you can have up to 4 players playing at once. Friends can come over and jack in their VMU's and play their own ships they are working on, along with yours and play side by side leveling your characters.

For instance here is what it says on the back of the game about this:
Play simultaneously with up to 4 of your friends to blast the alien hordes in this action-RPG world. Use the VMU to store information about your newly aquired technology and skills. Invite your friends to bring their ships to come fight in your game, or just to trade items that you have found.

Another thing I just found out by researching this game, it was a Dreamcast exclusive. I never ever knew this about the game. I always thought it was out on the PC and then was ported to the DC. No no no. DC exclusive. Might not be news to some but news to me. This game is rediculiously amazing. AMAZING I tell you. And addictive as well. Oh man soooooo addictive.

I turned on the game started playing and just went...."ohhh no.....i'm in so much trouble". LOLOLOL
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 2:47 am
quote : #4
i have also seen this game catagorized as a
strategy game in magazines directories. i gonna ave 2 go look @ some screens of it Smile

freshcut_t70
banned!
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 3:50 am
quote : #5
I heard Armada is asteroids with rpg elements. I've seen this game for 5 bucks just the other day, i guess i'll pick it up when i buy Seaman again. Also i heard that Armada 2 is coming out for one of the newer systems, XBOX i think.

Last edited by freshcut_t70 on Mon May 03, 2004 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 4:04 am
quote : #6
Well it is now 5AM. I have been playing the game for 8 hours. I think I'm going to go to sleep now. Embarassed Addictive.....Addictive.....
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 4:45 am
quote : #7
yeah man i f***in love it too, got it about febuary time and its really advanced for an rpg dont you think? the space you travel round is HUGE!!! i mean you can actually fly around in space blowing the shit out of every thing then go to some far of world and kill everything there as well, then theres all the weapons and power ups and free roaming stuff to do, if you cant be arsed to do the mission they give you, look for a big green dot, this will be some kind of human aliance space craft in need of guarding on its journey, you simply follow it and kill anything in its path, it will reach its destination and you get paid like 10000 credits, not to mention the further from home you go the harder and denser the enemie forces become, truly awesome game.

i cant wait for armada 2 on xbox, no wait even better! XBOX LIVE!!!! drool drooooool
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 7:42 am
quote : #8
yeh this game is killer, also kinda reminds me of star control in some ways, wish there were more games out like this simular.
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 3:20 pm
quote : #9
Type: NSTC-U/C
Originally that game was supposed to be online playable. The developers ran out of time to put the online component in the game so they made it a 4 player game.

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 4:15 pm
quote : #10
CGMANN99 wrote:
Originally that game was supposed to be online playable. The developers ran out of time to put the online component in the game so they made it a 4 player game.

OOOoooo I love multiplayer games... im going to have to pick this up soon

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 4:30 pm
quote : #11
Wow that game does look pretty cool.

It looks like the only version that currently still shows up as on track to release is "Armada 2: Star Command" for Xbox (release date currently listed as November 1, 2004). Apparently the designer (Metro3D) had announced "Armada 2: Exodus" for PS2 and GameCube (only in Europe), and the Xbox A2: Star Command page at GameSpot even shows cover art of A2: Exodus for Dreamcast, but it would seem those versions never panned out.

Actually, the entire "preview" there talks about the Dreamcast version, even though it is in the Xbox area and labeled as an Xbox game. Looks like another classic case of cut and paste laziness.

The most interesting part of the preview was this:

"The games are held on Metro3D's servers, so when the PlayStation 2 version is completed, owners of both consoles will be able to play together."

Interesting.
Tao
rank 15
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 5:09 pm
quote : #12
martianviking wrote:

"The games are held on Metro3D's servers, so when the PlayStation 2 version is completed, owners of both consoles will be able to play together."

Interesting.

Could this be the crappy multiplatform online gaming that we've been waiting for, martian? Better yet...could it be...NOT THAT BAD? *gasp*

Wink
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 5:13 pm
quote : #13
I remember reading some stuff from back in 2001 from Sega about DC making it play online with other consoles (Xbox and PS2) if only the Dreamcast was strong enought to keep on market ... it would be quite a sight playing other consoles on DC, I think more then this game alone was going to have that cross console online gameplay 2

Silent Marauder
rank 6
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 5:39 pm
quote : #14
I, too, have a copy of Armada and I've experienced plenty of times the sensation of sitting down to play a "ten minute" game, and quitting later on to find that an hour had passed.

For $5, it's a really good game. The 4-player co-op only makes it that much cooler.
Number of DC games owned: 43 and counting

Currently obsessed with: Mr. Driller
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 7:23 pm
quote : #15
Tao wrote:
martianviking wrote:

Interesting.

Could this be the crappy multiplatform online gaming that we've been waiting for, martian? Better yet...could it be...NOT THAT BAD? *gasp*

Wink

For those of you who don't know this is an inside joke, in reference to a discussion we were having during a StarLancer game we were playing on Sunday.

Anyways.....Information on Armada 2 is rather scarce. The game has been in Development Hell for ages. Armada 2 has been in production since the days of the DC and is still not done. I don't even think the game has been started yet at all. GC and PS2 releases of the game are a total mystery, and it's slated to hit the x-box this fall. However it was supposed to be released this PAST fall even for multiple consoles.

In the end the game itself Armada 2 is a total mystery, so until more concrete information surfaces on it I wouldn't gamble any information on it coming out or not until more stuff surfaces.

---

Also on the topic of Armada for the Dreamcast. Metro3D wanted to make the game online for the DC. However SegaNet was not in place to allow this to happen during the development process. They dragged and dragged the title along waiting to see if they could get a chance to impliment online features....however Sega said get the game done and just release it. This is why online features were left out of the game.

In any event, the multiplayer features alone in it are really awsome. The fact that you can work on multiple ships, and the game saves and ship info are seperate, makes the game just incredible from a multiplayer standpoint. Infinite replay value. You can work on new ships all the time. Friends can come over and you can each take a ship you have developed and start a new campaign from scratch, or team up to help each other out in your current campaigns.

I'm so happy to be experiencing this game right now.