Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 10:48 am
quote : #31
profile : pm
Servicegames, I would like to thank you, Yakumo, and everyone involved for your efforts and expense preparing Propeller Arena for release.

It doesn't feel right that the game is being leaked prematurely, especially after all that you went through to release this to the same avid Dreamcast gamers. Once it became apparent that the release was going to be a reality, I planned on donating to the cause the get my release copy. I did wait to make my donation just to make sure it really materialized. Call me foolish, but I still think honor and integrity count for something and should prevail in this world.

This weekend when I saw what was going down, I must admit that I felt kind of bad about it. Yes, Propeller Arena will be (is) out there to burn I guess, but it wouldn't be had it not been for your efforts. Thinking about that last night prompted me to make my donation to the cause yesterday. I would prompt everyone who has followed this story and is interested in getting Propeller Arena to do the same.

Propeller Arena cannot be the only remaining unreleased game floating around out there. If this sort of effort is needed to make those available, who will be willing to do it after seeing this kind of behavior?

If we don't come together to support the Dreamcast community, who will?

How are my little crackers doing today?
gamzor
rank 8
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 11:35 am
quote : #32
This game fuckin rocks. Very Happy

Thanks and good job to everyone involved in helping with propeller arena.
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 11:48 am
quote : #33
i'd rather buy a copy than download, it's only fair to servicegames.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 12:10 pm
quote : #34
i dont see why anyone who cares for dreamcast would want to go thru the process of downloading it, its more trouble than its worth imo, i would rather have it sent to me pre-done and contribute to the cause.
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 12:13 pm
quote : #35
if anyones still wondering there is no network fuctions in this game the homepage is gone aswell

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 1:25 pm
quote : #36
Why are people acting like this is so bad, it was going to happen sooner or later and im sure there have been many pre-orders (got it for a grand right? so thats only 50 pre-orders and god knows how many message boards he posted this at), and its no big secret that its been on the net how do you think it got passed around in the first place... the truth is Sega has the legal right to sell it for money and no one else I wish it was given out for free in the first place but then again I also think that it was sold for way to much money but what other option did he have to get the game ...

ServiceGames
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 2:38 pm
quote : #37
I1.) thank you to all who have defended me and my efforts as well as the efforts of the 'real' PA team.
2.) those who released the game prematurely are not part of the official PA team.
3.) The premature release of Propeller Arena has shown me that the Dream Cast community cannot be trusted. I understand that the vast majority of you are decent people and I consider a lot of you to be my firiends, but being stabbed in the back like this gives me serious reason to put all of my plans past Propeller Arena on indeffinate hold.
4.) PROPELLER ARENA WILL BE SENT OUT TO ALL WHO HAVE DONATED. IT WILL GO OUT ON WEDNESDAY THE 12th OF MAY.
5.) To all who have donated thus far I would like to Thank You. without your support, both financially and morally we could not have gotten this far.
Thanks to all for your help. I will be back later when I have time to post more if I see that is necessary for more to be said.

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 2:58 pm
quote : #38
Well crap! The same reason the dc died in the first place has came back and bit it in the rear again! Service, I was waiting untill you had sent out the first copies and then i was going to send in my donation. I will still donate after the first group gets there copies if you are still going to send out more copies.
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 4:22 pm
quote : #39
The premature release of Propeller Arena has shown me that the Dream Cast community cannot be trusted. I understand that the vast majority of you are decent people and I consider a lot of you to be my firiends, but being stabbed in the back like this gives me serious reason to put all of my plans past Propeller Arena on indeffinate hold.

Not that it makes it any more right, but you should've expected this.
You were naive in thinking that anything else would happen.

And I'd argue against piracy killing the Dreamcast.
Piracy is just as readily available on the Playstation and Playstation 2.

Besides, most of the mainstream gaming public would be too dumb to find any game images anyway.
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 9:19 pm
quote : #40
Type: NTSC-U/C
ServiceGames wrote:
The premature release of Propeller Arena has shown me that the Dream Cast community cannot be trusted. I understand that the vast majority of you are decent people and I consider a lot of you to be my firiends, but being stabbed in the back like this gives me serious reason to put all of my plans past Propeller Arena on indeffinate hold.

The pre-mature release should have shown you that your steps taken to properly release this game were not a sucessfull one. If you gave the game to anyone to actually have it ripped, you have to assume that person will give out exclusive copies early to colleagues. This is how the piracy world works. You hook other people up with exclusive material, and they hook you up. Sometimes its your duty and you have no choice. When you sent out the game to have it ripped you should have known that game would be copied and sent to a few other people, and then eventually leak out.

I feel maming the dreamcast community because of this is not entirely justified. Many users asked for pack shots or images of the game being played on a tv. I even PMed you about this. I have 0 definative proof that you aquired the game and have a successully working rip. I don't have much money right now, and thus could not just send out some of my hard earned money into the void of the net going on a gamble that I would eventually get this game without seeing some definative proof.

In the end I just decided to wait it out until it hit the internet. In the end it seems this situation is a double edged sword. On one side you have the concept of giving back to the Dreamcast community as it stands today. The fan base for the dreamcast console who enjoy taking part in playing dreamcast games and socializing about the dc over the net. The flip-side is the cost of time and money put in to make something such as PA available to the community.

You state you feel like you have been stabbed in the back? Which brings up questions about the real intentions behind releasing the game in the first place and wether all intentions were for the community.

A good example would be something that is very relative to the dc online community which I will bring up. Server Software. What happens if I aquired original server software for dc online games? Even if I did have to pay a large some of money. What should I really do with that software? In many cases I feel someone with BAD intentions would aquire the software and set up servers, not releasing the software, hence forcing you to use their servers only in order to direction attention, site traffic, and social attention towards them. If I personally ever did get server software, and say spent 5,000 dollers to get it, I would just distribute it to everyone that wanted it and let anyone and everyone set up their own servers. I might put up a paypal account to allow people to donate some money to defray some of the cost, however I wouldn't say people are "stabbing me in the back" be freely trading the software. In the end I really wouldn't care if people knew I payed for the software or not. The whole point was to get the software available to the public so people to enjoy a fun experience.

Now one could easily throw out the question, "yea lordnikon, you talk the talk but can you walk the walk?" I started this website one year ago, I have had little to no income and basically have devoted every minute of my time to forming this community and making it a successfull place to game, as well as for information on all 3 consoles featured here. Most of the time I just blend in and don't make any outward statements that I run this website, hell usually other people have to bring it up during online games not me, such as "oh yea nikon, he runs that site".

So my point in saying all of this is in regards to intentions. If you feel you have been stabbed in the back, then i don't think anyone has any qualms about not caring about what future projects Service Games puts their time towards in the future. If it wasn't about getting the game into gamers hands to play and enjoy, then many gamers have to take what you said as if your stabbing them in the back.

Just for those interesting I am currently downloading what is supposedly the Propellar Arena ISO. It is currentyl at 88% and should be finishing soon. I will be making a formal news thread as soon as possible to do a formal survey of the games working/non-working network features. This also should put many gamer's here minds at rest about the game, and might even take the time to donate to get a nicer copy of the game with covers from service games. However I will be mentioning the game is available on the internet for download or through donation and will post the link. I will not be mentioning any aspects about the games features or gameplay so as to not *spoil* it for anyone. I will be making a detailed analysis of the games networking capabilities if there is anything there at all. These are questions that have been talked about since this site started, and everyone here deserves them to be answered. Period.

Gamers, especially at this website have a right to know the technical backgrounds of a game that was once planned to be online. Thus I will be making this formal news thread right on the main page concerning the game as soon as a working copy hits the lens of my DC.

Well thats my two cents on this whole ordeal.
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 9:57 pm
quote : #41
holy crap this game is awesome, and guess what! it has bba capabilities. i found this very cool, and if it gets online, well then i'll be damn happy that i chucked a wad of cash (i seriously had like 95 dollar bills) for my bba. the network thing, as nikon was talking about, can only be redirected as far as i know by changing the dns for a bba or pc->dc connection if there was ever emulated or given server software. btw, this game went into my dc 30 min ago, and it's not coming out for a long time ago. how come such a good game didnt get released! like half life too! those were and are great. pba on the other hand LOL
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 12:00 am
quote : #42
hahha Very Happy I never would expect much from a pool game, voice chat would have been nice and made it more appealing. Ya im downloading right now and I can't wait 2 play it!!! I wish SG you had done this all sooner and not given out copies for people to test should have only been one shipment and I find it hard to believe after spending that much money you wouldn't protect your investment and keep it 2 your seif for a few more weeks... I am still interested in buying one becasuse I feel bad about it all, once the first wave gets shipped and ppl confirm at OC they have it, and it works ill send you the money if you are still going to take payments, you are right?

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 12:43 am
quote : #43
Service Games Grube supports U 2. Would U send the game 2 germany2?
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 1:39 am
quote : #44
anyone can burn cdi files using allchool 120
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 6:47 am
quote : #45
i would pay for one, if its not too late that is. Oh, and if its no problem shipping to England, UK. Smile

its much to have than just a burned cd

F355 and Starlancer reports Smile