Page 1 of 2
popley
rank 3
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 11:00 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
heres what the author said:

"well I have ported a GBA emulator to the Dreamcast(based on Visual Boy Advance). I will hopefully be releasing it soon. I just have to get some stuff cleaned up and hopefully get sound working, and speed playable and figuring out the license GPL etc. "

Heres what Ian micheal said:

"Ok Ive tested the emulator. It's Amazing to see this running on the dc. Surprizing was it loaded every game i tryed under 4 meg Seems to load the same compatable wize which is great. Menus work, settings and look rather nice colours were a bit off on the menus but perfect when playing games.

Game speed is about 5 to 10 fps at a guess. On retail games i tryed.
I will be taking some photos and puting them up here for him.

Emulator is very promising brought a tear to my eye to see the impossable brought to life by Troy davis GPF.

Playing with the settings sound does work just sounds wrong did not really effect speed it seems .

Expect some screen shots soon.

To Troy great work bringing this to dc. Im very impressed this is not an easy port to dc at all..
Just one hehe.......
I just got a 8 meg rom to load CASTLEVANIA - circle of the moon. It loads, Wow dude. Did you try this game. Grafix are messed once you get into the game but it does load and display the title screen and get throu all the menus. Seems some 8 meg games load.

bit of shock

Any way the game loads and displays the title screen almost fell out of my chair lol

EDIT tryed the game again got in game It works but very slowly 8 meg games load only tested this one Castlevania does load puzzle why the grafix are messed in game..

Very intresting! Im sending it not booting it maybe that has some thing to do with it.

But im taking pics of Castle vania circle of the moon working on dreamcast now they will be up soon to feast your eyes on. Ok Most 8 meg roms i try load ?
Sega Smash Pack gba version loads up fine.

Troy What game failed to load that was 8 meg there loading for me.......Snes advance emu works ! well i loaded up ff2 snes on it. Title screen comes up at lest..
That was cool.. "

you can check out the progress here, www.dcemulation.com

Tappro
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2004 11:20 am
quote : #2
yeh i remember hearing from alott of people that making a gba emu was impossible but that was like 2 years ago, would be nice to c it happen tho.
Posted:
Sat May 22, 2004 11:38 am
quote : #3
I would really love a GBA emulator. it'd be like having that Gameboy player for GCN, on DC =D

maciver
banned!
Posted:
Sat May 22, 2004 2:20 pm
quote : #4
I dont see why its so difficult alot of the games for GBA are basicly snes games. Is there really that much of a change between the two? I use my dreamcast to play nes snes genesis atari colecovision C64 and old arcade games so I see no reason gba wont work. I was curious why N64 wasnt emulated on the Dc...
Posted:
Sat May 22, 2004 11:32 pm
quote : #5
well, gba is way different then snes and nes. Snes has servail modes that each game plays through (mode7, transpance, etc.) the gba dosen't have that. The thing is that dreamcast has 24 mb of ram, which isn't much, and it's put into something like this (not sure) 12 mb for video 8 for audio and 4 for something. Any ways, the emulator itself will take up almost half of that, most gba games are 8 mbs or bigger, which would go over the ram limit, but they have figured out how to make this work, a n64 emulator (never will happen), the n64 emulator would take up maybe 3/4 of the ram, so you left with 6mb of ram for a 50 mb game, no way. Unless someone figures out how to cut the n64 games so that they switch parts when the time is right, we proble won't see one on dreamcast, but these always the little emullation pc (xbox) that can do everything. Check out more here www.dcemulation.com (go to message board) check out the gba progress here, http://s101533388.onlinehome.us/phpBB2/index.php .

-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 4:51 am
quote : #6
so is work actually being done on this?
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 6:14 am
quote : #7
Type: Pal
Emulation is great for dead consoles. Hardware that is no longer sold in retail shops and where the games are no longer readily avalible. I dont think the GBA sits in that catagory at all. Id call this piracy rather than emulation.

Im no saint and I know most people have a few burned games, where those games are hard to get. If you want GBA why not buy and support GBA Smile . Also then you get games that run as they were ment to run.

Ohh look seems I turned into a moral preacher Sad

Laters

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 1:33 pm
quote : #8
god damn, thats some good info popley. you REALLY broke it down.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
popley
rank 3
Posted:
Sun May 23, 2004 1:43 pm
quote : #9
well if you go to pdroms.com , which are games that people have made themselves you will see that gba out weighs anyother system (1,000 games) People get flash cards for gba so that they can download games to it and play it on the gba, that is big. I just want to play gba on the dreamcast, it's will be better, since I don't know how to use a flash card i could never play pd roms. Which look really great.

MeltedIce
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:35 pm
quote : #10
Chris5687 wrote:
I would really love a GBA emulator. it'd be like having that Gameboy player for GCN, on DC =D

I couldn't of said it anybetter myself. This is a great idea. I will try to find more info on it for you guys.
Sega Swirl
darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:57 pm
quote : #11
yeah
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:30 am
quote : #12
i agree with blast on piracy, but it also is good to try games before ya buy that way u know u wont get ripped. there are so many games out there that isn't even worth a buck, so wut better way is thru emulation.
now as for the gba emu for dreamcast, i dun think it will ever see the day as running games at fullspeed. but its just the concept of it even running gba games, thats wut is interesting to me about it.
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:01 pm
quote : #13
the programer GPF and a test and great coder ian micheals said it will be easier to do a gba then a snes, dreamsnes is almost full speed with sound, with sound off it is full speed. SInce the snes has so many modes like mode 7 and transpartance mode that makes the games go slower, since gba dose not have that it should reach fulll speed and sound. Which i don't think these two great codes would lie about that, everyone said a neo geo cd emulator would not hit full speed and sound, and it has! so the gba has a great chance on running full speed. They have also found out that it dose not depend on the size of the game for it to run faster, 4 mb games run the same speed as 8 mb(size of commacil games).

green sprite
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 am
quote : #14
First post. I was just wondering how the DC scene was progressing. Sorry for reviving an old topic, but this needs to be straitened out.

Sorry to break it to you popley, but your info about the gba is all wrong. This most likely means that you are telling a story, or your emu writing buddies are lying. The GBA is almost the exact same as the SNES. Except it is 32 bit, not 16 bit. It indeed does have modes 0 to 5 just like the snes and features transparency. The transparency does not slow GBA games down, because it is taken care of by the hardware. Also, mode 7 is not a mode. It is just mode 0 to 5 with the screen being scaled (which does slow things down a bit). If you want to see the modes, just play a game in visual boy advance. If you go Tools > map viewer you can see the current mode. If you look at the oam viewer you can see the sprites without their transparency.

A gba emu on the DC would probably be less than a megabyte, but I’m not entirely sure because I never fully got into DC programming. Assuming that a gba game’s graphics would not have to be converted to another format, and could remain 16 bit pixels. That would not take up any more of the DC’s memory. So they could run the emu in an off screen part of vram while storing a 16 megabyte gba game in external memory.

I have been developing for the gba for the last 16 months, in case you are interested. I would also like to know what this mystery emu is called and where I can find it. Very Happy

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:44 am
quote : #15
The link popley gave is the path to follow Wink The emu itself is still in alpha phase, so it's not released until now.

Which game are you working on?

GBA on DC should be no prob, I own my bleem!cast for Metal Gear Solid, so I've seen it all Cool

Chris