1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I stumbled across a more offical post of the Sonic Team info regarding Sega's shutdown of the DC PSO servers. It was placed in the PSO v2 FAQ.....not in the v1. Plus it only talks about the server "11:US/Oberon", and only says "the server will be disconnected " not servers plural as including JP and EUR servers.

Below is the following information posted by sonic team:

Notification--Deactivation of PSO servers
Beginning October 1, 2003 the online services for Phantasy Star Online Dreamcast version 1 & 2 will be discontinued. The PSO US Dreamcast server (11:US/Oberon) will continue to operate and will be maintained until 9/30/03. However, starting September 30, 2003 at 11:59pm (Japan Time), 7:59am(US Pacific Time), the server will be disconnected and no players will be able to log into the game server.

The message boards have always been an integral part of the PSO community and they will continue to operate until 10/1/03.

If you have a valid Hunters License as of October 1, 2003 and after, you will receive credit for the charge against the credit card you used at the time of renewal. This credit will be issued around November 1, 2003.

Although this has been a difficult business decision, we know it is necessary to allow our valuable production resources to work on new games. On behalf of Sonic Team here at Sega, we would like to thank you for making PSO an unforgettable experience. You have brought us much joy and many wonderful memories. We invite you to try PSO on GameCube and Xbox and share your knowledge and skills with other PSO gamers so your legacy will continue to live on.

This means that technically if they are only referring to Oberon, we can play on JP servers with version 1. Now is this a possibility? Yes, it could happen. Look at all the games currently still working. Sega's own personal tell us that they are non-functional, but games like Chu Chu Rocket, Outtrigger, and more continue to run. So we'll jsut have to wait and see what happens.

This new info also mentions the closing of forums on the sega community for PSO for DC. This makes me realize that OnlineConsoles.com is the LAST place on the net that will be supporting PSO for DC. The game is still rather fun to play offline, just because it will go offline doesn't mean people won't still want to finish their characters, maybe play the game for the first time ever, or need advice and help.

Therefore the PSO forum areas and its placement on OC will not be going anywhere. Onlineconsoles.com will still provide full community support for Phantasy Star Online for the sega dreamcast both v1 and v2 into the future regardless of its functionality online. Because basically I see no where else that still supports discussions and information on this game. PSO-World had completly given up on the Dreamcast, they didn't even post the news about DC servers going down until 3 days after OnlineConsoles.com had. You'd have thought that they woould have been right on top of it, and be the first to post the news.

So there is hope in v1 still working in other countries after September. Also PSO's presence on this site will continue to be a main-stay feature on the website regardless of the game being taken offline, it only seem's right.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:40 pm
quote : #2
Awww, man. this sucks balls. The main reason i got seganet was for pso, now its going away. So, lemme get this straight. Since im in US, when the server shuts down, when i get on, will i be linked to a choice of EU or JP? If so, I can still play! Horray!.
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:33 am
quote : #3
Quote:
Awww, man. this sucks balls. The main reason i got seganet was for pso, now its going away. So, lemme get this straight. Since im in US, when the server shuts down, when i get on, will i be linked to a choice of EU or JP? If so, I can still play! Horray!.

Unfortunatly, probably not. You'll have to nut eiter the Euro or Jap version. WHen the euro sever were temp. closed a couple months back, my friends could not connect that had the euro version, but I could.

I'd recomend getting the PAL(euro) because the servers have not been up that long, and would likely stay up longest.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:46 pm
quote : #4
Actually, I think you can just change the language setting of the game to JP or EUR, then you should be able to gain access to the servers if they set up some sort of block. I herd this is what some xbox pso users were doing to get past the region protection.(fyi: unlike dc and gc pso's, xbox is segregated, can't join jp or eur if living in US.)
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:17 pm
quote : #5
ya, im pissed. i got pso 6 weeks ago, and now they are taking it down. so, that would be cool if u only had to change the language, b/c i dont want to go out and buy the pal version now.

WyveRn
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:08 pm
quote : #6
I've been messing with the idea of hopping on the JP and EU servers also... get invalid serial/access key errors every time : / I hadn't tried changing the game setting to JP though... I'll have to try that one Smile Figure I can share my info, although its not much...

EU:
Logon Server: master. pso.dream-key.com:9200 (might be master.dream-key.com ... going off memory, heh)

US:
Hunter's License: auth01.dricas.com:443
Logon Server: game01.st-pso.games.sega.net:9200

JP:
Hunter's License: auth01.dricas.com:443
Logon Server: pso01.dricas.ne.jp:9200

In order to route your DC to JP or EU... it'll require your DC being networked on your home lan (duh) and it'll require a local dns server. Just set the US server address to be resolved as the JP server's IP in your DNS conf Wink problem isn't routing for me, just getting logged on.

WyveRn
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:16 pm
quote : #7
.... Changing the Language settings to JP didn't help anything. Still got the serial/access key error I THINK... Can't read japanese, heh. Another note... a person trying to help me out was on v2 and japanese, actually had a couple v1 serials that she didn't need... so she gave me those to try it out with, however the US version won't accept the JP serials at all. So, can't even get online to try the serials. Not to mention, if you needed a JP serial to play, you'd be buying the JP version anyway and wouldn't have a need for this whole process, heh. Anyway... I'll stop my babbling, just glad to see other ppl trying to figure this out also finally Smile

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:29 pm
quote : #8
yo that would be cool if u get it to work Cool

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:54 pm
quote : #9
Well what i am assuming will happen is the EUR and JP servers will stay in the query list, and the US server oberon will just be dropped from the list. Leaving EUR and JAP still up. Ver1 players could still connect to these servers. I don't think once Oct 1st rolls around, that Sonic Team will bar US v1 gamers from this server listing.

The memo by sonic team only talks about v2, meaning for v2 authentication it will cease to even pull up anything because all v2 accounts will be terminated., and Oberon pulled offline. V1 runs for free and could still pull up the ship list allowing you to connect to both JP and EUR servers.

This is what I hope will occurr.
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:03 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Well what i am assuming will happen is the EUR and JP servers will stay in the query list, and the US server oberon will just be dropped from the list. Leaving EUR and JAP still up. Ver1 players could still connect to these servers. I don't think once Oct 1st rolls around, that Sonic Team will bar US v1 gamers from this server listing.

The memo by sonic team only talks about v2, meaning for v2 authentication it will cease to even pull up anything because all v2 accounts will be terminated., and Oberon pulled offline. V1 runs for free and could still pull up the ship list allowing you to connect to both JP and EUR servers.

This is what I hope will occurr.

One thing I have noticed by monitoring my packets and connections from the DC to the servers when we connect (using v1) is that oberon is the server we connect to from the get go. So, in an essence its like the bridge for US clients to get on PSO. game01.st-pso.games.sega.net is oberon and the logon server in one. Another interesting thing, is the server which authenticates v2 hunter licenses is the same for both US and JP. So, if jp stays up... would it be possible to order your hunter license through jp? Just a thought though

WyveRn
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
quote : #11
Another note about this only affecting v2 users... if you go to the hunter license registration page for US ( https://www.dricas.com/pso/signup_top.html ) you get the post from Sonic Team stating both v1 and v2 will be discontinued:

Beginning October 1, 2003 the online services for Phantasy Star Online Dreamcast version 1 & 2 will be discontinued.
The PSO US Dreamcast server,(11:US/Oberon) will continue to operate and will be maintained until 9/30/03.
However, starting October 1, 2003 at 11:59 pm (Japan Time), 7:59 am (US Pacific Time), the server will be disconnected and no players will be able to log into the game server.
The message boards have always been an integral part of the PSO community and they will continue to operate until 10/1/03.

Although this has been a difficult business decision, we know it is necessary to allow our valuable production resources to work on new games.
On behalf of Sonic Team here at Sega, we would like to thank you for making PSO an unforgettable experience.
You have brought us much joy and many wonderful memories.
We invite you to try PSO on GameCube and Xbox and share your knowledge and skills with other PSO gamers so your legacy will continue for another to live on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEGA / SONICTEAM, 2000.2001 "

WyveRn
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:32 am
quote : #12
Did I kill this thread? lol ... Well, to keep the shimmer of hope... I was told that barbeary (dude that found a lot of the hacks in DC pso) released the code to his lobby server. Now, an open source PSO server would be nice : ) Maybe other ppl have heard of this?

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:27 pm
quote : #13
how would u make an open source PSO server?
Posted:
Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:52 pm
quote : #14
Last I heard this project was dead. He only got the lobbies working. Programming an entire online server for this would be rather complex. Some people are spreading this as a rumor, just to talk shit and act like they know what they are talking about. Until I see a project page, or a sourceforge page, I am not gonna take too much stock in this.

The DcDev community has not shown much interest in network programming involving games. Usually its emulation and "firewall" or other software based software that people are brewing. I had brought the topic up multiple times to devgroups. I just don't think its in their interest to repair, or revive once online dreamcast games.

I check the thread at dcemu from time to time.
Posted:
Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:35 pm
quote : #15
if u can get the lobbies working, then can u log into that server and then switch to the euro or jap server through that?