Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:49 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
You can't make a lobby Sega never released the program that runs the servers so the question is point-less

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:08 am
quote : #17
Type: NTSC-U/C
Nah this will not work because, the way the PSO servers are set up, the US server Oberon is the starting point for all US:NTSC copies of PSO. It's the first server that the dreamcast attempts to contact, and the only server that it can access the game via. One member on here has already tried to connect to the JP or EUR authentication servers, and has met with little success.

MAYBE sega of america will allow the US server to be an access point to the JP and EUR servers. I mean, you'd think they would let us atleast access the EUR servers. There is never anyone on the EUR servers. Sometimes 8 people....maybe. And they have 4 damn ships up too. Which is beyond unsaturated seeing as how those ships could hold hundreds of people.

I am kinda 50/50 on the idea of this all being the definative END for dreamcast PSO, you might have to make a new character, and get an import copy to keep playing but. The only decision that has been made here is on behalf of the US server oberon. We'll jsut have to wait and see what happens post oct 1st.
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:17 pm
quote : #18
http://www.freewebs.com/psoserverproject/ <-- PSODC Private Beta Server

http://www.psolife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6388 <-- PSODC Private Beta Server needs testers!

http://www.psolife.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6036 <-- PSODC Private Server Pics!

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:39 pm
quote : #19
Well it appears that someone is working on a PSO DC server, but there are many many many problems and questions that come out of me hearing this am too lazy to post them ... but to say the least ... Good news but I’m not getting my hopes up. It is easier to get a Jap version, its in all English and all you have to do is buy or download Dream passport to input your ISP and your playing PSO on your DC like you were before the US server shutdown. So what that is $6 for the game (from www.liksang.com) and a free or about 10 if you choose to pay to get a official copy of Dream passport (Jap dc web browser) Besides ... can you imagine how many hacks will come out of a home brew servers ... not to mention things like lag, which will be insanely high without a T3 or DSL connection

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:47 am
quote : #20
My hats off to the guy if this isnt bull. and i might go out and get the GC or xbox version if he keeps it free or cheap. ill NEVER underestimate what a loyal fanbase can do EVER again (if it aint bs).

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:38 am
quote : #21
LOL man this stuff just makes me laugh. Yea its great people are making progress with creating server stuff for PSO to prolong a possible dreamcast way of playing for the future. However, like I have said in other post's only the lobbies are working, the rest of the game is insanely complex.

Plus those lobbies look like shit and are hacked to death. And sorry, even though they are "saying" it is from a DC i still don't believe them till I see hard evidence. So these programmers or gamesharkers or whatever they are. Can get some crappy pso lobbies to work but they can't convert a dreamcast screenshot? LOL That's quite comical.

Also....BETA testers? do they even know what a beta is? A beta would have in game action, actually able to play levels and aquire items, along with drop rates. Beta's are prefinished however buggy versions of the finally product. These screenshots are hardly even showing enough progress for an alpha. Lobbies that don't even look like lobbies is like....pre pre pre pre pre pre pre alpha at best. These people posted these screens and set up a page for pure attention, no real serious programmers seem to be behind this or it would be presented in a different group of discussion such as a DC dev group with advice and compliments from other dreamcast homebrew developers.

Anyways I agree with DreamcastMagic, just spend a few bux and grab an import dreamcast copy, or get the gc or xb versions of the game.
Posted:
Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:34 am
quote : #22
lordnikon wrote:
like I have said in other post's only the lobbies are working, the rest of the game is insanely complex.

yeah you got a point, i didnt think of that. the lobies are just the begining arent they.

lordnikon wrote:
Can get some crappy pso lobbies to work but they can't convert a dreamcast screenshot? LOL That's quite comical.

that actually did cross my mind. or why didnt they just take a friggen poloroid of the screen?
so nikon, do you believe they HAVE the lobies working? or are those just doctored photos?

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Michael
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:48 pm
quote : #23
Good news guys, SEGA may just sell me the pso server after all
Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:43 pm
quote : #24
what how omg!!!??!?!?! elaborate
Posted:
Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:44 am
quote : #25
Type: PAL
Sega actually selling their PSO server? Don't think so. Anyways. It's my 1st time on this forum and I'm quite new to all the PSO still online news. Though I refuse to believe that someone actually programmed the lobby I wonder why Sega can't make the server script public in some way so that people could take the matter in their own hands and do something if Sega doesn't intend to. My guess is that revealing all the details about how the server works and all that would make it extremly easy to hack GC or XB servers. I might be wrong. After all I know nothing of how all of this works because I'm but a humble console user.

Anyways. How does it look right now? Will we ever be able to play DC PSO again? If not how about converting the DC savegames to use with GC or XB? It's probably impossible though due to all the access codes that every game has. Bummer.

EDIT: Oh. And I totally forgot about one thing. If you play PAL version of PSO you are prompted before you start your game that depending on frequency that you choose you may or may nor play with people outside europe. Which to me means that you can meet people from all over the world inside the game if you're using the 60Hz refresh rate. So what's the deal with not being able to log onto US and JP servers? How come you can play with people from US and JP if you're on a different server? I must be just plain stupid *L*

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:05 am
quote : #26
Any sort of a homebrew DC PSO server doesn't look like it will become a reality. The game is rather complex and would take a lot of well polished programmers to complete this task. Sega will not release the server software for a variety of reasons, 1 you touched on, they fear that people will further exploit PSO by learning more about how it works.

However more than anything, if they released dreamcast pso server software, then many budget pso gamers, specially dialup gc users, might ditch gc pso and go back to dreamcast PSO. Thus taking away HL profit from sega and sonic team.

Also the framerate selection will not interfere with your ability to go online and play against other gamers. Playing with a PAL copy of PSO in the US at ntsc framerate vs a EUR player using the pal framerate will not interfere with your ability to game with them.
Posted:
Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:44 pm
quote : #27
The Passion!

Hats off to all you guys trying to keep DC PSO alive but really, it is toast.Even my last few weeks online with it, there was barely anyone online. My turning to the GC PSO is going to happen pretty damn soon and hey, PSO III is on the Cube as well.

God bless you all and if you actually get a server runnin' with Sega's blessing, then DC PSO here I come.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:49 pm
quote : #28
solidsonic wrote:
My turning to the GC PSO is going to happen pretty damn soon and hey, PSO III is on the Cube as well.

Hit me up over at the gamecube onlineconsoles area when you get gc pso Smile Would be happy to lvl with yah Very Happy
Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:30 am
quote : #29
Type: PAL
What I meant was that the game itself informs you [While staring the PAL PSO the 1st time] that if you choose 50Hz mode you will only be able to play against / with players using the same refresh rate. Concidering the fact that US and Japan both have 60Hz refresh rate and can not use the 50Hz mode because of the NTSC TV technical limitations it is only obvious that one would be only able to play with / against people from europe.

If you are from europe boot up Action Replay for DC and boot up PAL Virtua Fighter 3TB in NTSC mode. The is only able to display 50Hz mode so running it in NTSC will create a hybrid of systems which would be 50Hz NTSC. Then you'll see what I mean. The TV can't handle the picture properly and the lower part of the screen is cut. I figured the same thing would happend if someone from Japan or US would run PSO in 50Hz mode on their NTSC TV.

EDIT: I was just wondering which version should I get. GC or XB? It doesn't seem likely that we'll play PSO online on Dreamcast so I have to fix myself up with a new version. So here's the big question: Should I get the Xbox version? This one will not go offline anytime soon so I'm not worried when it comes to network gameplay. But then again I somehow like GameCube a bit better and PSOIII will arrive on this platform. So which one I ask? By the way. Is it because you don't like Xbox there is no Xbox section on your site?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:33 am
quote : #30
Morden wrote:
I was just wondering which version should I get. GC or XB?

If your looking for MY personal opinion on why I chose my version of PSO, here is why based purely on software differences. GC PSO is currently getting quests the fastest. It currently has the most online quests. PSO Ep 3 is coming out for GC. Xbox PSO requires an xbox live gamertag to even paly the game offline, I didn't want to have to deal with that if PSO ever happened to go offline for some reason.

It is for these specific reasons that I went with GC PSO. In the end the decision is up to you.

Morden wrote:
By the way. Is it because you don't like Xbox there is no Xbox section on your site?

No.