Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
essej
rank 7
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 9:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
seriously. the only options out there these days seem to be either the "we're gonna dismiss the game out-of-hand and then utterly fail to explain in game terms why the game is so bad" type of review or the "we love this series/developer/concept so much that we're just going to constantly reassert that you're a total feeb if you don't buy this game right now but we're never going to tell you in game terms what the hell is so goodf about it... except that it's pretty and the control is 'loose'/'tight'/'fluid'/whatever" type.

where can i find people who write reviews of videogames without needing me to agree with them to make their point? and, y'know : maybe with a backlog of DC reviews, since that's what i'm looking for currently.

i'm sick to death of IGN and Gamepro and Gamefan and all of those rags. gimme something real, something with spirit, and something that is honest. i've got more than my recommended share of bias in my diet already.

Posted Fri May 28, 2004 10:14 pm:

(maybe we should just find a couple of good writers on here and write our own damned reviews?)

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 9:40 pm
quote : #2
essej wrote:
...(maybe we should just find a couple of good writers on here and write our own damned reviews?)

It's on its way. The reviews will be limited in scope (probably online games only) but hopefully we'll see some quality stuff.
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Fri May 28, 2004 9:59 pm
quote : #3
sounds like a plan im sure there's some people here that would be more than happy to offer there services on this subject Mr. Green

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 4:58 am
quote : #4
i know people may not like it but gamespot have some good reviews of all the games you could ask for, i read their review on radiant silvergun and it was quite informative. but i would definately second the motion of our own reviews!
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 9:07 am
quote : #5
Im glad you posted this I feel the same I see it everywhere, and mainly on system only site and its really sicking and wrong, people spend there hard earned good money on a game that sucks. I myself have a reviews section that ended up turning into that, every game is a 10/10 and didn’t mention there many faults so I took it all down one night. I rewrote 4 of the games adding in the good and bad about each game and put it in perspective, are the slowdowns in Crazy Taxi really going to affect the games score, no it still kicks ass but its a tell all type of thing. I will not be allowing user reviews anymore because the hell I have to do taking out what I call Fanboy reviews and getting the core of the game. Not a personal attack but UKR said the music in F255 was a 9/10 and great, ummm what world is he living it lol. If Lord doesn't closely regulate the reviews section here it will turn into that simple because its human nature, you like it and you want everyone else to and over selling it doesn't seem wrong now does it ... Anyways for my reviews all I can saw is coming soon, but they are really good Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 29, 2004 10:42 am
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Reviews are a touchy subject, why? Because they are opinions. They are not the end all factual description of a game. Everyone has their own opinion about what is good and what is bad. As long as you present your ideas in a logical way then your reviews will be accept here. Everyone will be able to write a review. i won't be moderating reviews allowing just 1 for each title. Each user has the right to review every game that is available(online games that is).

If someone thinks the music is 9/10, thats great as long as they explain why they think this.

Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt. The fact that multiple reviews for 1 title will be available makes it BETTER for the end user. Since they can get multiple opinions from different people.

Also the reviews section will not be grounds for flame wars. Users are NOT allowed to make counter reviews simply to backstab and complain because of comments made in another review. These are opinion and users are allowed to express their opinions as long as they back up their thoughts with credible examples.

There will be some set standards here which will be posted once the reviews section is made available to the public. We are looking to keep the reviews quality so a certain level of analysis is expected. Reviews are rather hard to do right. Since you have to weigh in their pros and cons. Especially if it is a game you really love, admitting its flaws takes some patience and time. The key to writing good reviews is to take an unbiased standpoint on the game and try looking at the game from mutliple gamer situations.