Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:37 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I have to admit, at first, before I got a Dreamcast, I didn't know whether it sucked or not. I had never played it though, so I wasn't going to be like most people that just assume that it sucked, because it's untimely demise. then when I got a crapload of money and went to buy a Gameboy Advance SP a few months ago and had about a hundred dollars left, so the thought ran across my head, "I wonder if they've got dreamcasts for cheap, since they've been out for a while," so I asked, only to find out that they were only $14.99. naturally, I bought it, along with about 5 or 6 games, another controller, a VMU, and a rumble pack. that added up to $80, but I didn't care, and I still had $20 left, so I bought Medal of Honor for Playstation(1) and left with my gigantic bag. then when I got it home and hooked it up, I was astonished at the sweet graphics(before, my main systems were Playstation(1) and N64). I thought the analog triggers were pretty cool, too. then I found out how versatile it is as I aquired my Dreamcast stuff(online capabilities for games AND browsing, mouse/keyboard, also, normal console hookup, and it even has a broadband adapter for those lucky rich people that have DSL, and a microphone).
a few months ago, all I had was one Dreamcast, 1 VMU, a rumble pack, and 5 or 6 games. now I have 2 Dreamcasts, 3 VMU's, a rumble pack, 19 games, a gameshark, a codebreaker,a demo disk(Generator Vol. 2), an NES emulator with 64 roms, and Planetweb 3.0
now, I'm one of the people that get really sorely offended when anybody says anything bad about dreamcast
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:00 pm
quote : #2
I remember reading about the DC after the Saturn went the way of the DoDo bird and thought this time Sega would get it right. They sure did get it right, 128bit online monster that it became. I knew that Sega would have a better machine that not only beat the Playststion but the N64 as well. The details kept coming out like the VMUs and the controller design. The games were looking awesome and the American launch was amazing. I got a DC when they finally had some in stock. I got online in 2001 and played some NFL 2k1 and had my ass handed to me the first game, but i got better and now i'm so use to NFL 2k1 & 2 that i don't like Madden as much. I didn't mis the Dreamcast revolution, i was there from the beginning, but hey, i didn't miss the launches of the Atari 2600,5200,7800,NES,Genesis,3DO,Jaguar,Saturn,PSone,or the XBOX. I guess you could say i don't miss much Surprised)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:56 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Oddly enough I didn't get into the Dreamcast until January of 2003. Why? Well i was at college. All i had was a N64. I had been a die hard sega fan my whole life. Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Game Gear. I never did get a saturn at the time though cause well....the US release list was horrid...even now I recently got a saturn and I look at the release list still baffled at how horrible the US list is. However imports for saturn is a goldmine which is why I now own one finally thanks to someone that sent me one out of sheer generosity.

During college I would come home on the weekends, and play my brothers gamecube, and PS2. So I had my share of monkey ball and gta3 and rogue 2 and pikmin and such. So I was up to speed. However college...especially art classes...kick your ass. I mean I was in the art building 24/7. Anyways I finally took a break from school after 4 years of it, and decided to chill out some and make some money. I was tired of being broke. My brother actually had bought a DC but barely owned any games. So here is how it all went down.

After my new job and a few pay checks....I just went completly insane. I ran out on sunday night and bought a Brand new gamecube and metroid prime. Then 2 days later I ran out and got a PS2 with State of Emergency. Then I was hanging around late and night and my brothers dreamcast was in a pile in the corner of his room. I dug it out, and hooked it up and decided to go online with it cause I had the browser disc. What eventually happened was me and Kontact sitting around tinkering with various games. When we got Unreal Tournament to work....our eyes glazed over and we just sat there totally amazed. Me and kontact started gaming it up from night 2 night on UT.

So I had my new consoles and then my addiction to networking these consoles and taking them online just exploded.

In the process I realised why I have always been such a sega fan and why I love the dreamcast so much. The Dreamcast is a pure work of art. It's a 128 bit online naomi arcade machine in your home. I mean the thing is just a little bigger than the cube. It's construction is beautifull.

The graphics that the Dreamcast renders are gorgious. Nobody can tell me Dead or Alive 2 doesn't look spot on flawless. NO JAGGIES. The female characters in the game...man their legs are dead smooth...not one jaggy. Out of all the consoles the Dreamcast displays the clearest brightest picture and has fantastic loading times and framerate. The DC outputs that ARCADE feel. Soul Calibur? DOA2? Outtrigger? F355 Challenge? House of the Dead 2? ... if your wondering why these games just look so flawless and beautiful is because they are arcade games...ON ARCADE HARDWARE. Ever wondered why these games just don't look the same on other systems? Yea I played Soul Calibure 2 on other systems, but it doesn't emulate the same look at the Dreamcast outputs. I'm not starting a flame here saying which is better. All I am saying is the Dreamcast has a look and feel that is so amazing that other consoles cannot replicate it. Because the DC is actual arcade hardware.

The gaming selection on the Dreamcast is AMAZING. Can someone say, replay value? Its a goldmine of arcade games and classic original titles like Shenmue, JGR, and Skies of Arcadia. The list just goes on and on. I am a fan of my gamecube and I do like my PS2. However I am a Dreamcast hardcore gamer tride and true. I spend almost all my money on my Dreamcast and expanding its library.

As far as expanding. Out of all the consoles has there ever been one that is as Import friendly as the Dreamcast. Talk about a breath of fresh air. If i want to play imports on my PS2 I have to freakin mod the system. With the DC I can just get a boot disc and play freshly bought imports.

Also does anyone love the fact that out of most Dreamacst games you can just pickup the controller in PORT 4 on the DC...and it will work for player 1 or 2 or whatever. The DC due to it being mouse and keyboard compatible has this loose rule about where you plug things in. It's so great. I can have all type of stuff pluged in. Like a mouse a keyboard and a controller and it doesn't matter where I plug them in. This just rocks.

I could keep going on and on about how much I love the Dreamcast. A lot of gamers out there just don't understand. However a lot of gamers are taking the plunge and experiencing the Dreamcast and realizing how amazing this system is and how incredible the games are. The fact is it's never too late to get started. Heck I got started in 2003. Some gamers are just getting started now. But the really cool thing about it is...the community welcomes you with open arms and kinda says "come let me show you the greatness that is the land of the Dreamcast".

Man I love this system.
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:10 am
quote : #4
Another amazing thing about the DC is the underground coding going on, i mean look at the emulators on this machine (NES-SNES-GENESIS-2600-etc.) its really cool how versatile the DC is. Theres a growing fan base because its a great system! Homebrew games are a rare thing for a console past its time and DC has it. The only other game system that has a homebrew following that i know of is the Atari Jaguar with companies like TeleGames supporting the system to this day! Its a shame that DC was abandoned by Sega at the time, so many games that would have made it out. I guess DC fans will take up the slack.

Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:44 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U
i didn't get my DC till around the end of july '00. i was taken in by the sony playstation so i was just waiting for the ps2. i'd see dc games on gamespot tv, but nothing would impress me, and i wasn't that big of a sega fan after the lackluster saturn support. but all that changed when i saw a preview of Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram. the second i saw that, i was like OMG! i HAVE to get that game. so i went out, got me a DC, and later that game. and it completely changed the way i thought about Sega, and consoles. everything about the DC amazed, and still amazes me. built in modem, vmu, vga... you name it, i love it.
i still find myself just staring at my dc once in a while, just because its so damn sexy. it actually LOOKS like a console. the cube is, well, just a cube. the ps2 looks like something out of the 80's, and looks odd no matter how you set it. and the x-box looks like a coffee table. but when you look at the cast, its the perfect design. honestly, even with all the great games out there for all the systems, the cast was the last system i was truly happy with. i can't explain it.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:14 pm
quote : #6
you guys have pretty much covered everything there is to say about the dreamcast, i can merely reciporcate my feelings in kind. i as nikon said have been a major follower of sega since the master system/gamegear days, then moved up to genesis and mega cd, then got the (imo) excellent saturn, which to this day still houses some of my favourite games including panzer dragoon saga, burning rangers, sonic r, steep slope sliders, street fighter alpha 2, doom, die hard trilogy and many others.

naturally when the uk saturn magazine began talkin about dc in 98 i was absolutely glued to the pictures and facts and info that just made my mouth water. i took one look at sonic adventure screen shots and was like "it will be mine, oh yes! it will be mine!" i got it on release in the uk and absolutely never looked back. its just so damn amazing, the power is astounding the graphics are so fresh and colourful eg soul calibur, jsr, pso and yet can be very dark and classy eg resident evil code veronica, head hunter, and any pick of the fps's out there.

it completely captured me and i was hooked for life. to this day i have an xbox a ps1 and all the trimmings of recent consoles and they just dont attract me like the dc. i find the graphics absolutely perfect, soul calibur looks so much better than sc2 and all the other ports as nikon explained simply dont look as good. purely because the dc is built for these games. and i have yet to find games as perfect and amazing as firstly ikaruga, and others such as shenmue 2, skies of arcadia, head hunter, pso, sonic adventure, virtua tennis and many others that need not be mentioned.

and this is the only place i could ever see myself talking about it. i have learned so much from this site, i didnt know anything about imports until ikaruga, didnt realise games were still online and that new games were still coming out, i could've missed all this if i hadnt joined up here. i now have 170 games, dozens of types of controllers and acessories and so much stuff to do with dreamcast that i cant fit it all in my room. i just cant love dreamcast and this site enough, its the sort of thing i'll show my kids when i'm 10 years older or so. and they too will know the enlightened path of righteousness that is dreamcast!!!! Wink

as the 10 minute promo on the existenz dvd says "can you imagine your life without dreamcast?" i say HELL NO!!!!
Posted:
Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:41 am
quote : #7
I love the Saturn and have Steep Slope Sliders, its so much better then a lot of snow boarding games out there-excellent game. I can see what people mean when it comes to the DC,its got a great line up of games and i like to buy more games for it then any other system. I did buy quite a few games for my XBOX right after i bought it but i always look forward to my next Dreamcast game.

The XBOX is a huge system, isn't it? It makes my Saturn look small! The only other system that i think of thats bigger is the Atari 5200, this console has its own zip code! It even has its own parking garage for the controllers, shut the lid and you don't see those joysticks any more.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:15 pm
quote : #8
freshcut_t70 wrote:
The only other system that i think of thats bigger is the Atari 5200, this console has its own zip code! It even has its own parking garage for the controllers, shut the lid and you don't see those joysticks any more.

dang, how big is it? like literally, 2 or 3 feet across, or bigger, or what?
Posted:
Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:42 am
quote : #9
The Atari 5200 is probaly another 3inches longer and wider then the XBOX (a behemoth in its own right!) and can store the joysticks in compartment located in the back of the system on top. I don't think any system is as big as this one, but i could be wrong. if you want to see what one looks like just do a search on the web. Theres quite a few Atari sites that pay homage to this system. A quick fact about the 5200: The joysticks were analog and had 360 degree motion that did not center, which was a real problem if you like good controllers.

Silent Marauder
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:20 am
quote : #10
Quote:
The XBOX is a huge system, isn't it?

It certainly is. The system itself is about the size and weight of a small gorilla, with the wonderfully-designed curved top surface, so you can't set anything else on it to try to save space. The controlllers are a lot like bread loaves, and one has to wonder if Shaq or Yao Ming was the guy who was called in to design these things. The box that the Xbox comes in can comfortably house a family of four.

In short, the Xbox is neither micro nor soft. Smile
Number of DC games owned: 43 and counting

Currently obsessed with: Mr. Driller
ORtrail
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:12 pm
quote : #11
Ah, but owning a DC made me get an Xbox! It's true. I got my first DC in January of 2000, after deciding I couldn't live without NFL2K and that $200 was not that much for a console (I'd gotten a PSX when they dropped to $150). Actually more like $330 since it was $50 for NFL2K, $20 for the rumble packs, $40 for the two VMU's, and then $24 for the Official Dreamcast Magazine.

It was so worth it though. I got to playing NFL2K2 on the DC a week or so ago with a guy who had never really played a DC. He thought the VMU was very cool for play calling. Only online play can compare with having such a great secure way to call your plays unseen. Having the opponent in the same room is always more fun though. There may never be anything like it again, which is a shame. Sad

Anyway, I was puzzled that so many gamers I knew refused to get a DC, but held out for the PS2. Yeah, the graphics were slightly better in some games, it could play DVD's which was cool, but it was $300 versus $150 for the DC!

I was surprised it only had TWO controllers ports, that it had NO MODEM, and that it really lacked any great games for most of the first year! The DC by that time had so many great games! There was no way I was going to support Sony by buying what I felt was a DVD player with some game console functions. Sega had come up with some very cool new gaming ideas (VMU, online surfing and games) and Sony was content to offer slightly better graphics and... DVD movies? Where was my online gamies and web surfing Sony? Where was a VMU-type device or innovation?

So I held out till February of 2002 till I picked up an Xbox. Project Gotham Racing really was a great racing game. The built-in HD? Great, innovative idea. No more worries about memory cards (which with the DC was a problem -I have like 8-9 VMU's) and custom soundtracks? Wow! Online play finally took off on Xbox in late 2002 ( I even got to beta test Xbox Live) so Microsoft had taken up where the DC had left off with online play. In short, Microsoft had some NEW ideas for gaming with the Xbox, and learned a lot from what Sega did, while Sony did very little to bring new ideas to gaming.

I've got to mention the link cable for the DC, which was way under supported, but the Xbox and LAN gaming has become a huge part of gaming for me. Get together with friends and it is Halo, Midtown Madness 3 and other LAN games. Again, Microsoft took what the DC had done first and improved it.

The Xbox is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

spidhopddy
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:55 pm
quote : #12
yea it is and microsoft was able to take what it worked with SEGA and use it for their console. Some say that microsoft bs'ed sega after giving them so much support.