Page 1 of 2
WormyTheWorm
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

I am posting this to help any1 who plays F355, but does not know the technique to get fast starts. (i know this has been posted before but some ppl may have missed it)

OK..
When you are sitting on the line, put the SC driver assist off..
Keep it in 1st gear and the revs about the middle of the rev counter (i cant remember the numbers lol)..
Then when it starts slam on the accelerator, (put SC back on when your in 2nd gear.)
(now for the tricky part)
When you reach maximum revs, shift UP 2 gears then DOWN 1! (do this really quickly) and repeat this for every time u need to shift up

So your race start should be like this;
SC off, 1st gear, mid-revs..
@ green light, Hard accelerate
(Now you do the UP 2 gears - DOWN 1 gear shifting, which looks like this;)

-- -- -- -- 1st gear
3rd gear, 2nd gear -(SC back on in 2nd gear)
4th gear, 3rd gear
5th gear, 4th gear
6th gear, 5th gear
6th gear.

It is most important to do this at the start of the race but once you get used to doing it can do it for every up-shift.

Last edited by WormyTheWorm on Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:12 am; edited 3 times in total
F355 races every 20mins.. 9:00pm / 9:20pm / 9:40pm ...and so on.

http://f355.tsx.org <---F355 race reports, and championship info is posted here.
ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:56 am
quote : #2
so i take it you shift up 2 and then down one when the rev meter gets to the top of the range as normal? this will be usefull as i have pretty much given up on f355 cos i am so crap at it!!
Posted:
Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:43 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
nice thanx for the tip wormy. I have never tried this method before. I will be anxious to try it out this week.
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:55 am
quote : #4
off topic but lordnikon are you a regular of squaregamer before? because your nick is soooo familiar.

guccini
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:28 am
quote : #5
This was a really helpful tip to a newbie like me . Thanks Very Happy Smile

G

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:27 am
quote : #6
yeah i really need to print this off and memorise it, as i never managed to do it properly, i will have to get a family member to read it to me while im playing or something, it should be cool tho as it seems to work for other players.
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:10 pm
quote : #7
Man, I forgot all about that! I still haven't tried it yet, and I wanted to a year ago.

It looks pretty cumbersome though. I'll need to fumble around with it a bit at home before taking it online.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:01 pm
quote : #8
Thanks for posting that again Wormy, there are some new players who will appreciate that!

Oh and thanks for the help you gave me when I first started playing F355 (And JMC's help!),that was damn kind of you to dish out a few tips!

Hope to see you racing soon Wormy, or perhaps you may actually talk back to me on Xbox live whilst playing Toca 2? (Remember I was playing under a friends account)

All the best!

Kizzy

Posted Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:59 pm:

Oh, This is an old Wormy post from ages ago! So probably not be seeing him around?

Kizzy

guccini
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:24 am
quote : #9
I tried this last night, but it didn't seem to help me any. Maybe I'm not doing it right... Very Happy Sad
G

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:48 pm
quote : #10
I tried it a little bit too, and I was a big fumbling mess. The trickiest part for me was turning the SC on and off during the process. I think I got it partway right on one attempt, but that quickly faded away.

So, has this really been proven to work? I'd like to know that before I dedicate hours of my life trying to perfect it. Laughing

How are my little crackers doing today?
maurice x
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:47 pm
quote : #11
i tried it yesterday and man it works! you have to be very quick with the gear changes. people that know how to do this have a huge advantage

Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:56 am
quote : #12
Yes this works really well! Take care if you have a Ferrari Thrustmaster wheel, I broke my gear shift levers "Hiro Shifting" too quickly and roughly!

I used the control stick in the middle of the wheel on the right hand side, this allowed really quick gear changes, but took a bit of practice using that stick and steering.

Kizzy

Al
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:30 am
quote : #13
Type: PAL
Kizzy wrote:
there are some new players who will appreciate that!

For me it's one of the reasons why I never really tried to play it online.
I really love it offline (I hope to get my link cable soon) but I wont learn any tricks in order to have a chance of driving a proper lap online.

The fact that you must use tricks (and I really think it's just a trick) deters me...

But as long as I'm a PSO player it doesn't bother me much...

Kizzy
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:52 pm
quote : #14
Al thanks for your comments, but I think I am right in saying that the quick gear changes were actually part of the original arcade game!

So if you are deterred from using this route to getting quicker lap times then I think you are missing out on a great part of the game. It is extremely skilful to shift two gears up and one gear down without messing things up!

If you think that it is cheating then perhaps braking is cheating as well, or perhaps even steering?

Kizzy

Al
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:03 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
In my opinion it doesn't make a difference if it's a part of the original game...
For me... it still something like... a bug. Try to do this with a car... ouch! Wink

As far as I know in GC PSO duping is also "a part of the game" in a special way...

Braking and Steering aren't bugs, are they?
If you do training races the instructor tells you to brake and the symbols tell you to steer... But they don't tell you about shifting one gear down and two gears up. It's a "secret" trick.

I just don't like to use something like this... exspecially not in a competition.
Of course I could just put the disk into my drive and try to learn it but I wouldn't feel great about that.
I'll have fun with that game... offline as I'm used to. Rolling Eyes