Topic: Half-Life DC-PC differences

Page 1 of 2
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Apart from the obvious differences, like no quicksaving or readily available multiplayer in the DC version, here's some of the differences I've found in the level design in the Dreamcast version of Half-Life. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just doing this on memory, since I played the PC version so much. I'm not done with the game, I just started yesterday so I'm just about to reach the Power-Up level(the level with the first Gargantua) also, post any differences that I didn't happen to notice
1. when you enter the "office complex level, the door that's to the right in the PC version is down a short hall instead in the Dreamcast version
2. when you enter the "office complex level, down the hall to the left, where there's a locked door with a broken level to right of it, there was a table there in the computer version. in the Dreamcast version, it's gone.
3. shortly after you defeat the tentacle, right before the "power up" level starts, when you fall through the bottom of a pipe into a room, in the Dreamcast version, there's water flooding the bottom of the room so you don't sustain any damage. in the PC version, there's no water, so you do sustain damage

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:07 am:

I just remembered, before I forget, there's 2 more:

4. in the "blast pit" level, the one with the tentacle, at the bottom of one of the ladders, there's boxes that you have to blow up in the PC version. they aren't there in the Dreamcast version
5. right before the beginning of the "power up" level, right after you defeat the tentacle in "blast pit" and fall through the pipe a few minutes later into the room flooded with water, the water comes up to a point where there's debris blocking the way, and you have to jump over it. that's in the Dreamcast version. in the PC version, there's no water and no debris in that particular area
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:16 pm
quote : #2
Oh yes, you forgot that the graphics on the DC version kick the utter crap out of the PC version. Razz

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:28 pm
quote : #3
Morph wrote:
Oh yes, you forgot that the graphics on the DC version kick the utter crap out of the PC version. Razz

that depends on how good of a computer you have and how high you set the graphics. I have a fairly new computer(at least it plays Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 1942 at high detail levels fast) and I turn up the detail way high on the computer and the only difference I can tell in the graphics is the high definition pack that was added in Dreamcast. if you have the high definition pack for the computer, you won't be able to tell the difference.
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:35 pm
quote : #4
is this a pretty long game also Question cause im thinking about getting one my self soon.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:48 pm
quote : #5
the first time I played it, it took me a few weeks, but it was like in 5th grade and it was the first 1st person shooter I'd ever played, so naturally I progressed pretty slowly and got stuck a lot.

but now, I can beat it in 3 days if I play it a lot
Posted:
Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:48 pm
quote : #6
If you're a first person shooter fan, then yes, Half-Life is a definite must-have for the collection.

The original story is fairly long and involved. The Dreamcast version also comes with the Blue Shift expansion pack, allowing you to play the part of Barney the security guard. That expands the playability factor by letting you play through the events at Black Mesa from another character's perspective.

It's also a great time to play Half-Life, because the sequel is about to wreak havoc on the PC.

How are my little crackers doing today?
daworm
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:17 pm
quote : #7
Yeah, actually, I've been doing my HL cram session on the DC instead of my PC CD-ROM. The only gripe I really have is the loading between levels.

essej
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
quote : #8
daworm wrote:
The only gripe I really have is the loading between levels.

holyshit is this the truth. just for the folks that don't have a copy yet and salivate at the thought of getting it... you seriously have time to, like, MAKE A SANDWICH during load times.

it's a beta, it wasn't meant to be released, etc etc... whatever. shouldn't've wouldn't've had it been official... that's all well and good. when you, dear reader of this message, acquire this game, pleaseplease brace yourself for load times like you have NEVER seen. dedication is required.

or at least patience.

-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:20 pm
quote : #9
in my opinion the half life loading times are nothing to worry about, i have to admit they are quite long but it shouldnt stop u from playing.
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:23 pm
quote : #10
If it's any consolation, the load times on the Dreamcast version aren't due to Half-Life being a beta copy, because the Playstation 2 version has the exact same loading scheme.

My guess is this would have more to do with managing frame rate issues than anything else. Valve's game engines are pretty substantial, so there's a lot going on behind the scenes for lighting, physics, etc.

It's definitely worth the wait though. The game starts slowly, but the plot really picks up fast.

How are my little crackers doing today?
essej
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:25 pm
quote : #11
-=Pennywise=- wrote:
...i have to admit they are quite long but it shouldnt stop u from playing.

see, that's funny. 'cause it stops me from playing about every three minutes or so to load the next bite-sized nugget of level, and it keeps me stopped for no less than 40 seconds each time until it's done.

i'm not trying to be harsh, i swear. i just wanted to posit a counter-point to what i thought was more optimism than the average gamer may have.

also : i didn't realize the ps2 v was this slow, too. wow. there's a LOT of model and texture data being passed around in addition to that game engine, so it makes sense that it takes a while to set things up... just... man. it's a LONG time.

not to put too fine a point on it : half life for the DC has more load time, more consistently, and for longer than any other dreamcast game you own. that's all i'm saying.

SuperBowser102
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:32 pm
quote : #12
Are you guys freeking kiddin' me?! The loading times in this is nothing. Obviously none of you have ever played Soldier of Fortune, which has load times that have to be about 4 TIMES longer than the loads in Half-Life. None of you should be complaining. geez. Wink Seriously, go out and buy sof, you'll see. Although the loads in HL seem to be more frequent though.
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:12 pm
quote : #13
SuperBowser102 wrote:
Are you guys freeking kiddin' me?! The loading times in this is nothing. Obviously none of you have ever played Soldier of Fortune, which has load times that have to be about 4 TIMES longer than the loads in Half-Life. None of you should be complaining. geez. Wink Seriously, go out and buy sof, you'll see. Although the loads in HL seem to be more frequent though.

OMGWTFl337w00t you are right. I made a sandwich while that game was loading before. I also time a loading sequence on one of the stages at 1 minute and 17 seconds.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:26 pm
quote : #14
essej wrote:
daworm wrote:
The only gripe I really have is the loading between levels.

holyshit is this the truth. just for the folks that don't have a copy yet and salivate at the thought of getting it... you seriously have time to, like, MAKE A SANDWICH during load times.

it's a beta, it wasn't meant to be released, etc etc... whatever. shouldn't've wouldn't've had it been official... that's all well and good. when you, dear reader of this message, acquire this game, pleaseplease brace yourself for load times like you have NEVER seen. dedication is required.

or at least patience.

true, the load times aren't that fun, but the game is so awesome when it does load, it more than makes up for the load time, so quit your damn complaining! lol

Posted Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:30 pm:

I forgot, if you've ever played Battlefield 1942 and/or Battlefield Vietnam, lol that takes forever but it's well worth it, so it makes the Half-Life load time feel like a second or two. I can finish a race in 4x4 Evo in the time it takes Battlefield 1942 to load.
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:33 pm
quote : #15
Half-life loading times arn't that bad compared to others, such as soldier of fortune (you can make the sandwhich and eat it and still have time to wait for it to load.) Its wroth the loading.