Topic: Half-Life DC-PC differences

Page 2 of 2
Stormwatch
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:38 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I don't mind the loading times... it's the framerate drops, game crashes, and savefile corruptions that annoy me. But Half-Life is so damn good, even with all this shzit it is worth playing! Smile
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:54 pm
quote : #17
I admit though that I may have been too harsh on the loading time, but I guess its completely acceptable because of the complexity of the levels. Besides the game is indeed complete and only lacked some bells and whistles. But I do wish it had some online multiplayer functions - the PC version still has a rabid following.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:40 pm
quote : #18
Stormwatch, based on what you're describing, I would suggest that you get a better copy of Half-Life. I've played through both episodes without a glitch or save problem.

Anyway, it just sounds like your copy is a bit buggy, but that doesn't have to be the case.

How are my little crackers doing today?
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 pm
quote : #19
something really freaky happened earlier tonight. what makes it even freakier is that it's happened before.

my 2 favorite first person shooters are half-life and the original Unreal Tournament. about a year or 2 ago, I put in the Unreal Tournament CD into my 52X MAX cd-drive. it spinned up really fast, and then there was a loud crack and shards of shattered CD-pieces flew out of the flap cover of the drive, and all over my room. I was astonished, and after that happened, nobody that I told believed me, except for one of my best friends, zach, and the only reason he believed me was that he saw the shards.

now, 2 or 3 years later and 1 or 2 computers later, I have a 52X cd burner that's a lot faster and more efficient than any other CD-drive I've ever had. earlier tonight I put in the Half-Life CD to install it, since the Dreamcast Half-Life had sparked my interest in it once more. about halfway through the installation, the blue screen that says "please insert CD with serial number .... if the disc is still in the drive, then it may require cleaning". so I push enter, it says the same thing. I take it out and put it back in, push enter, it says the same thing. so then I take it back out, and look at the bottom of the CD, and there's a crack on the inside of the disc from about the middle to the inside. you can barely see it, but if you push the sides apart, they move apart, so you know that it's a crack. so now I'm really pissed, and hoping I'll be able to copy a friends original of the game with my cloneCD program. I've never tried it before but it's supposed to successfully copy copyrighted computer games. anyways, now I'm really pissed because of all of the hundreds of games I have, it just so happens that the only ones my CD drives ever kill is my 2 all-time favorites. >Sad so if I have an attitude in my posts in the next few days, that's why. I'm hoping I'll get over it though.
Posted:
Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:08 am
quote : #20
Actually, ya know, I was playing it Half-Life last night, and every time I'd die, It would load at the beginning of the game with the big letters across the screen. HALF-LIFE. I hope this isn't permanent or something. Cause then I'd have to have a few words with wonderdog. Wink
Posted:
Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:15 pm
quote : #21
no, when it dose that just go to load game and load up your saved game. Mine only does it at some spots not all.

Zeiram_Wing
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:01 pm
quote : #22
Type: NTSC-U
limpbizkitfan943- 52x is around the max RPM that a cd can withstand. there was a big thing on Mythbusters about this. there are a few drives that actually spin at the 52x speed, most usually spin a bit lower, you seem to be a lucky one Smile its nothing to mess around with either, as those shards can really mess up the drive/ seriously injure you. They can usually break the tray, bend the metal casing and imbed themselves about 6 inches into your body Exclamation there are some programs out there that let you limit the speed on the drive a bit. its that initial spin when the drive reads the cd that your gonna have to try to watch out for, and try to burn at a lower speed (if you got one of the super fast burners.)

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:57 pm
quote : #23
Zeiram_Wing wrote:
limpbizkitfan943- 52x is around the max RPM that a cd can withstand. there was a big thing on Mythbusters about this. there are a few drives that actually spin at the 52x speed, most usually spin a bit lower, you seem to be a lucky one Smile its nothing to mess around with either, as those shards can really mess up the drive/ seriously injure you. They can usually break the tray, bend the metal casing and imbed themselves about 6 inches into your body Exclamation there are some programs out there that let you limit the speed on the drive a bit. its that initial spin when the drive reads the cd that your gonna have to try to watch out for, and try to burn at a lower speed (if you got one of the super fast burners.)

the disc that actually shattered was on my old computer, it had one of those early 52X drives, and in the initial spin you could always hear it humming really really loud and fast. that's when it shattered Unreal Tournament. but on this new drive I have, you never ever hear it hum, even on the intial spin. that's why I said it seemed really efficient. anyways, I think it was something with the laser or something, because it was just a hairline crack, but it was a crack nonetheless, so all of the data along that crack was rendered useless. this new drive I'm talking about is a 52X burner and it can burn a cd in like 2 or 3 minutes, with no problems at all. I love it, it's awesome.