Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I was just looking at a couple of pictures of her, and I got to thinking. What character class is Red Ring Rico? To me, she looks like a HUmarl (female human hunter, a class that does not exist in any version of PSO).

Does anyone have any opinions (or facts) on this?
limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:12 pm
quote : #2
martianviking wrote:
I was just looking at a couple of pictures of her, and I got to thinking. What character class is Red Ring Rico? To me, she looks like a HUmarl (female human hunter, a class that does not exist in any version of PSO).

Does anyone have any opinions (or facts) on this?

that's kinda cool, I guess, cause my character's a male HUmar
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:53 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was trying to research but didn't come up with much on her class of origin. Only that she is a Hunter. Here is a very interesting and well written excerpt from comineet.net a well known PSO website:

www.camineet.net wrote:
Your character is the role you portray, while the character being studied is, of course, Red Ring Rico Tyrell. When we are introduced to Rico, she is a determined, confident hunter, at times bordering on arrogance ("If you can't hit a Hildebear, try standing in front of it. Of course, I don't miss."). Rico is always one step ahead of you, and when I first played through the game, I looked forward to finally meeting her.

By the time you reach the Ruins, however, you can only listen to Rico's messages in horror, realizing that she has fallen straight into a trap. The confidence of her early messages is now gone, replaced by loneliness and desperation ("I wish I had a friend here..." and "Don't let it come in. The dark consciousness looks for the best animal to obtain its temporal host body"). Perhaps most tragic, signifying that perhaps Rico knew what fate awaited her, is her line, "I miss my father. I wasn't a very good daughter... was I? Is my father OK now?"

The icing on this cake is that once you realize Rico has fallen into this trap, it's too late, because you are in the trap, as well. The combination of mystery and character study combine to tell a Phantasy Star adventure in a way never told before, and this easily remains the game's greatest strength.

Some very interesting details indeed. I never paid a whole lot of attention to the kiosks through out the game. PSO keeps amazing me the more I play it and the more I learn about it.
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:32 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
yeah, i say she's a HUmarl too. i haven't seen any pics where she got pointy ears, and she's principle Tyrells daughter, so i say she's a HUmarl, and they wanted her to be unique, so you can't play as one.

martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:44 am
quote : #5
lordnikon wrote:
...PSO keeps amazing me the more I play it and the more I learn about it.

Indeed. Very Happy

Zeiram_Wing wrote:
yeah, i say she's a HUmarl too. i haven't seen any pics where she got pointy ears, and she's principle Tyrells daughter, so i say she's a HUmarl, and they wanted her to be unique, so you can't play as one.

Yeah, I think that's about right. I've never seen her depicted with guns, and she is almost definitely a human female. HUmarl it is.

I guess that leaves (as of the GameCube version, when they added HUcaseal and FOmar) only four character classes that you can't play as:
  • HUmarl: female human hunter
  • HUnewm: male newman hunter
  • RAnewearl: female newman ranger
  • RAnewm: male newman ranger

Unless, of course, someone comes up with a "mind chip" for androids, in which case we could have FOcast and FOcaseal. Shocked

Actually, that would be a pretty cool idea for the next Phantasy Star game. If you do something really hard, you gain access to a "mind chip" and are then able to create one android FO (force) character. It would be sort of a status symbol, because if you ever saw a FOcast or FOcaseal, you would know that the player was really really good (or a hacker, and it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference).