Topic: maracas

Page 1 of 2
MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:18 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
i spoke with the manager of my local game store, an the conversation ofcoarse turned to dreamcast. i was describing some of the more rare dc items that i was looking for, and he asked me "do you have those maracas for that one game?" and i replyed "no. do you... have um?" he told me that he saw them at annother store in annother suburb. he than called the other store, and THEY DID!!

disaster! it was VERY far from my house. i told him to forget it, the drive was too far to make it worth my time. then the good news:

Manager- i need them to fedex me some bradley guides, i could have them throw it in as well.

SCORE!! or so i think. the list price is 49.99. i have a little money saved i was gonna use for pyo pyo fever, but i might just blow it on these maracas.

do you guys think its worth that price? theres new ones on ebay for 99.99, but these will most definately not have the box and may or may not be in prestine condition. any opinions would be great.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:05 am
quote : #2
Just make sure they're the original Sega brand Maracas, and you're in luck. If they're a used set of third party maracas, it might not be worth it.
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:20 am
quote : #3
If they're a third party set, make sure they are the Cha Cha Maracas and not the Samba Friends Maracas. The Cha Cha Maracas are well made and fail a lot less than the Samba Friends Maracas.

I own a pair of each that I bought from www.levelsix.com quite a while ago, and I think they were approximately $39 a set at that time. Unfortunately, they don't carry them anymore, and I don't know if you'll find a set cheaper than you were quoted - especially without shipping and handling charges.

Originally, I ordered two sets of the Samba Friends Maracas, but I had to return a set twice for replacement. I kept receiving maracas with bad sensors that kept failing and wouldn't be detected. Finally, after sending the set back the third time, they had begun selling the Cha Cha Maracas set. They told me the were built much better and didn't fail like the Samba Friends controllers. They were right. The first set they sent worked perfectly, and it still does. I just wish I had two Cha Cha Maracas sets in the first place.

The Cha Cha Amigo Maracas set does not have the vinyl foot pad like the original Sega Maraca set. Instead, the sensor array sits on the floor in front of you. The maracas rattle and light up when you shake them.

The Samba Friends Maracas, which were the problematic set, look almost identical to the original Sega set. The main differences are the characters on the packaging (a mule instead of the monkey), and the foot pad is blue and yellow instead of orange (I think), brown and yellow. The biggest difference is that the Samba Friends controllers are highly unreliable.

If the maracas at the store are Cha Cha Amigo Maracas, I say go for it. Just make sure you can return them if they don't work.

How are my little crackers doing today?
MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:31 am
quote : #4
kingofgrills wrote:
The Samba Friends Maracas, which were the problematic set, look almost identical to the original Sega set. The main differences are the characters on the packaging (a mule instead of the monkey), and the foot pad is blue and yellow instead of orange (I think), brown and yellow. The biggest difference is that the Samba Friends controllers are highly unreliable.

ok... so i should look for the swirl color and the mule. i also immagine only the official maracas have 'Sega Dreamcast' on them?

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:08 am
quote : #5
Stay away from the mule. That's the bad third party set.

Either get the Sega Maraca set, which carries the Dreamcast logo all over it with the Samba de Amigo money, or get the Cha Cha Amigo Maraca set, which was the third party set that is reliable.

It's a lot of fun and definitely worth the effort.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:00 am
quote : #6
ok i got um today... their not official, but look well constructed. i looked for all the indicators you mentioned, and it dosnt sceme to be the samba friends maracas. it has a blue sticker in the center of the bar with "YSW" printed on it. i have 14 days to return um. he cut the price cause there werent first party, are these worth 43.99?

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:00 am
quote : #7
Masterchief, I just pulled out my two sets to look at them, and neither one had a blue sticker.

Perhaps a picture will help better than an explanation. Here's an auction for the Cha Cha Amigo Maracas, which are the better of the two third party maracas I was describing. The top half of the maracas is clear, and it lights up as well as rattles::

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41054&item=8114101161&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here's a picture of the Samba Fan Maracas (I mistakenly thought it said "Friend" instead of "Fan" - sorry about that). It includes a blue mat similar to the orange and brown vinyl mat of the official set. It also includes a yellow bar on the console with the letters "BJ" on it (not kidding!). The Samba Fan set looks almost identical to the official set, but it's not built as well. This was the problematic set that I returned two or three times before finally getting one that works. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41054&item=8113822715&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I must stress that the Samba Fan set I finally ended up with works fine. If you have 14 days to try it, I suggest you really test it out. I think the price you paid is reasonable if everything was included and it works okay.

If you search the Dreamcast accessories section of Ebay for "maracas" you'll see that your price was fairly reasonable. Maracas are becoming hard to find.

jhorto1
unknown
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:43 am
quote : #8
I picked up a pair of the Sega Japanese maracas and then since I couldn't find any more in stock, I bought the cha cha maracas for two player Samba 2000 games.

Verdict: The Cha Cha maracas were awful. Maybe I just got unlucky, but they missed detecting shakes many times. It wasn't good for a two player game because the player with the sega maracas had an unfair advantage. (because they worked perfectly)

I've never tried the Samba Friends. If you are looking for a pair of maracas, try for the sega (if possible). If not, then I'd go for the Cha Chas, but make sure you can return them if they don't work.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:10 am
quote : #9
lol what are maracas? and what game do you use them with?
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:03 am
quote : #10
limpbizkitfan943 wrote:
lol what are maracas? and what game do you use them with?

Shocked

(Samba music plays in the backround)

aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:11 pm
quote : #11
I heard that the sega ones are not 100% reliable, as they use some 2D detection system with the shakes. The 3rd party maracas use a 3D detection thingy that is more reliable (I've heard this from a ton of people on gamefaqs.com).

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:28 pm
quote : #12
The Cha Cha Amigo maracas use the 3D detection system, whereas the Sega and Samba Fans sets use the same 2d system. This is at least what the www.levelsix.com sales rep told me when I purchased them.

jhorto1, sorry to hear your Cha Chas aren't working correctly. I haven't had a problem with mine, but the Samba Fans maracas tortured me for quite some time before I could straighten everything out.

So Masterchief, do the maracas work okay? If they don't seem to be missing any shakes or poses, then you're in the clear. Just make sure you accurately set your height in the game, otherwise they wont work right at all.

Have fun. It's a total kick in the pants.

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:29 am
quote : #13
ok, there not the Cha Cha Amigo ones, and the second auction's pics wont load up for me. and i havent testied them cause (hows this for irony) i dont HAVE samba de amigo. im in the process of downloading it, so i should have it before tomarrow.

Bristecom
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:47 pm
quote : #14
Was this store McVan's Video Games by any chance? This is where I work. We have several brand new Sega maracas.Wink
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:12 pm
quote : #15
is your store in chicago?