Topic: dc racers

Page 1 of 2
andyspof
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:18 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
will you guys please tell me wat dc racers have the best graphics and gameplay (not 2d racers) i have msr and txr2 and crazy taxi 1 n 2. any other stunners and how is tokyo extreme racer 1.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:33 pm
quote : #2
Tokyo Extreme Racer 1 is good, not as good as 2, but good. It's definitely worth picking up, because it has a 2 player split screen mode that was removed from 2.

You should absolutely pick up Test Drive: Le Mans and Ferrari F355 Challenge, which is still playable online. Both games are great examples of the Dreamcasts capabilities, and Ferrari F355 Challenge is simply in a league of its own - it's a true driving simulator with dead on physics. Both games are also fantastic with a racing wheel if you can find one.

Those are two definite must haves for any DC racing fan.

How are my little crackers doing today?
M1Savage
rank 12
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:46 pm
quote : #3
For arcade style racing, check out Speed Devils and Demolition Racer. I also enjoyed Vanishing Point and Test Drive V Rally though many don't care for them. You also may wanna check out 4X4 Evo since it can still be played online. Test Drive LeMans is absolutely a must have (as mentioned above). Sega GT is great also if you stick to it. Um, just remembered another! lol For RC racing be sure to pick up Revolt. Damn, so many racers, so little time. Smile

CGMANN99
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:47 pm
quote : #4
Type: NSTC-U/C
Daytona USA, Sega Rally 2,

Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:47 pm
quote : #5
GASP!!!!!! You forgot ALL about the Shenmue Forklift Races!!!! Again, Shenmue takes the lead of another type of genre. Ahahaha.
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:58 pm
quote : #6
The best racing game on the DC is San Francisco Rush 2049, this game is fast and intense. The tracks have short cuts and are varied in design. Also there is a Stunt mode and a Battle mode. Another really good racing game is Star Wars episode 1:Racer, i thought it was a cool take on the movie and is real fun in 2 player mode. The worst is probaly Test Drive 6, a really bad game and wasn't as good as 5. Bad graphics, bad control and no fun at all.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:23 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Here are the best racing games on the Dreamcast:

Simulation: F355 Challenge, Test Drive Le Mans
Urban: Metropolis Street Racer, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2
Offroad: 4x4 Evolution
Rally: Test Drive V-Rally, Sega Rally 2
Arcade: San Francisco Rush 2049, Speed Devils, Daytona USA

That pretty much covers it. The best of the best and all worth picking up.

(Please note: Le Mans and V-rally were made by Infogrames and are both of superb quality. Test Drive 6 was made by another developer and is of extremly poor quality. Make no mistake.)
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:30 am
quote : #8
Stewy01 wrote:
GASP!!!!!! You forgot ALL about the Shenmue Forklift Races!!!! Again, Shenmue takes the lead of another type of genre. Ahahaha.

Hey! The Forklift Races and the box-stacking were pretty damn fun... well, for me anyways... and I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. But I do know I want to see more games featuring forklifts or other such machinery. No game has so far captured the realistic physics of the tram that used to drive people across the old Disneyland parking lot, and, according to my vision of the future, this is a problem.
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:48 am
quote : #9
yeah, u should get sega gt
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:50 am
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
Here are the best racing games on the Dreamcast:

Simulation: F355 Challenge, Test Drive Le Mans
Urban: Metropolis Street Racer, Tokyo Extreme Racer 2
Offroad: 4x4 Evolution
Rally: Test Drive V-Rally, Sega Rally 2
Arcade: San Francisco Rush 2049, Speed Devils, Daytona USA

That pretty much covers it. The best of the best and all worth picking up.

(Please note: Le Mans and V-rally were made by Infogrames and are both of superb quality. Test Drive 6 was made by another developer and is of extremly poor quality. Make no mistake.)

You forgot POD 2. Nicely done racer and it took advantage of the DC BBA for online gameplay. Very Happy

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:06 am
quote : #11
4 wheel thunder is about the best racing game fun wise, its got great controls, graphics, tracks and music. not to mention the multiplayer modes and unlockable vehicles. its awesome and very fast
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:29 am
quote : #12
See? Still no love for Vanishing Point. lol I just thought some of the "challenges" were somewhat fun.

If you ever want to know what the videogame term "pop-up" means, be sure to check out Super Runabout: SF Edition. That game coulda, shoulda, woulda been cool.

Since we're on the topic of racing games, maybe some of you UK people could help me out. I understand some cool open wheel racing games came out over there (F1 style) that we didn't get here in the USA. Any of them worth picking up?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:38 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think it's safe to say every racing game, regardless of it's quality is worth picking up on the dreamcast. Blazing around any track is just plain fun on the DC. They just handle very very well.

The only game i have to say NOT to get. Is Spirit of Seed (sp?). Was rated the worst ranked dc game, on almost every review site. Got like a 1.0. The game is unfinished, glitchy, and has very unresponsive controls. The graphics are mediocre at best.

Other than that pretty much any racing game on the DC is worth adding to your collection. They just don't get old. Perfect pickup and play games.
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:05 am
quote : #14
hi M1

i think Vanishing point is a great game too.

The best open wheeled racer i've played for DC is Monaco GP2 Online. It was great fun online, shame it's gone. It wasn't brilliant offline, but was solid, unlike the other DC F1 racing games i played which had better graphics but big frame-rate probs.

Cheers for the games on PSO/Starlancer/F355 last night. I couldn't connect at Sugo, where i was saying "bye" and going to bed. Hope you had some more good races with Brockstrongo.

cya

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:45 pm
quote : #15
dont forget test drive 4, its got shockingly dated graphics but the controls are just right while being very very challenging. another stinker of a driving game would be roadsters, i had this for a while its basically a very very poor mans speed devils, with awful graphics and tracks and no real inovation. hydro thunder is an awesome racing title as is star wars pod racer and as some have said one i forgot would be vanishing point, san francisco rush 2049 is great all round driving game.