Topic: -the quest for a dc-

Page 1 of 1
deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:12 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
as i try calling around where i live from one eb store to another on the malls where i live near most of the ones ive called dont have any dc's at all for some unknown reason. so ill probably be hunting for a dc on the flea market.and here's something sad and pathethic i tried calling "gamestop" if they have any used "dc's" systems they said ((we dont carry those anymore)) and yet they still have dc games on there store shelves what the heck is that all about Evil or Very Mad

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:48 am
quote : #2
I would suggest trying www.ebgames.com for a used DC, or check on Ebay. Most Electronics Boutique stores either ship their DC consoles to regional "Super Stores," or they are shipped to corporate for sale through the website link above.

Alternatively, if you cannot buy online for whatever reason, you might try checking around for local independent game shops in your area - not Electronics Boutique, Gamestop, or other national retailers, but the local independent enthusiast shops. They tend to appreciate and support the Dreamcast as much as they can.

On a side note, I was just visiting a friend in NYC, and we went hunting through some independent shops in the city. I'm talking total hole-in-the-wall dives, and I was astonished to find them packed to the gills with Dreamcast and other classic gear. These places didn't even have signs outside, but they were loaded with tons of stuff. One shop had a big box loaded with DC lightguns on the floor for $12.99 each and wall shelves crammed with new and used Dreamcast games. Shocked

Portland has nothing to even compare that too. I start drooling just thinking about it again.

How are my little crackers doing today?
daworm
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:58 am
quote : #3
I feel for you. When I was in Suzuka city for a family visit to my wife's grandparents, we had some time to roam around one weekend and my wife told his brother to show me around the town and while driving he asked me if I wanted to buy some cheap electronics - refurbished but of good quality. I said yes and we went to this crazy store that had everything electronic from PDAs to you name it consoles for god knows what year was made. The refurbished stuff was quite expensive, especially the rare consoles, but the store had a junk section that was basically stuff that was sold as is no warranties unlike the refurbished stuff but man, almost all of the stuff wasn't really junk. That place was like console gaming heaven.

jhorto1
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:28 pm
quote : #4
I found a place like that in NYC. It was on St. Marks Place somewhere. Anyway, the guy that ran the shop was a total A*hole. He was like the video game shop version of the comic book guy on the simpsons.
Place had great selection of things I'll never see anywhere else. Still, I'll never go back.
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:40 am
quote : #5
There is a website out there... I am sure many of you know of it, called Buy Rite Video Games.

What few people know is that the website is a simple extension of an actual storefront, located in North Carolina.

That store has EVERYTHING. There were multiple copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Maracas galore, A full Japanese import section (complete with FC/SFC/Saturn/Megadrive games, including rare ones like the FF5 cart), a fairly robust PAL section... in other words, its the kind of place thats fun to get lost in a while.

One problem: It's run by a total jerk. The man is a part of a horse with a capital "A". His head looks almost exactly like the goombahs from super mario brothers (bad choice of haircut), he is a borderline megalomaniac, and he is a poor businessman. He treats customers like dirt, and he forces bundles on people, even for systems that arent new (You want that NES? You have to buy 5 games to get it, etc).

Needless to say, I have a love-hate relationship with the store.
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:15 am
quote : #6
I considered buying some PC Engine stuff from buy-rite once, but then a good friend of mine (sgrande99) told me horror stories of how long it takes to get your goods, if you get your goods at all. Needless to say, I didnt order from them and have not been to their site since.
Posted:
Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:04 pm
quote : #7
Buy Rite is definately worth a visit if you are in North Carolina, but I would NEVER give that jerk money unless the game was in my hands first, and I could assure its quality. He is a scammer, not worthy of a website.
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:43 pm
quote : #8
Hey, i live in NC and have been to buyrite. They never have boxes to the games i want but they do have alot of stuff. Thats where i got my Jaguar and my boxed NES systems. I really hate the dude that works there but oh well, its a small price to pay for all the stuff they have.
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:52 am
quote : #9
Just don't buy from Buy-Rite online. There have been several threads on them in the past, so just look to those for more information, but their track record online is absolutely criminal.

deadmanshand
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:58 am
quote : #10
here's something sad and pathethic when i was in the flea market looking for a used dc last saturday someone in the flea market actually was selling a used dreamcast wrapped inside a ziplock bag it has the system the two cords and two controllers and your asking youre self how much is this: no its not $14.99 like eb i wish they actually wanted $49.99 for the whole thing, what the heck are these bastards thinking selling the system like that with a $49.99 price tag heck if you add $15.00 on that you could get your self a used gamecube for that cash Evil or Very Mad

UniqueTwitch
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:29 am
quote : #11
Flea market my ass ^

That is ridiculous. If you have a GameCrazy around, see if you can talk to the guys there. I got my DC and one controller for Twenty five. Hey, the deal sounded good to me, so I bought it.
Posted:
Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:40 pm
quote : #12
tell me about it i just got mine from my local electronics boutique on the mall for $16.09 and who ever it is that's going to buy that dc thats freshly sealed on a ziplock bag and wanting $49.99 for it has to be high on something but thats just my own opinion Twisted Evil

Drfury
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:27 pm
quote : #13
I tried buying a light gun from buy rite earlier this year, said it was in stock. I purchase it, money gets taken off my credit card, and... no light gun. I check the site, and now its listed as out of stock... Took me a week to get the bastards to give me my money back. I threatened to report him to the better buisness beurea for improper adverstising practices.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:49 pm
quote : #14
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Buy Rite. At least you got your money back.

Unfortunately, they are notorious for acting in that way, and we strongly encourage people not to buy from them. You can search earlier threads on this site for all of the details.