Topic: Omikron: The Nomad's Soul

Page 1 of 2
Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:20 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I heard that this was a "unique" type of game. I'm trying to find it, what should I expect?
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:47 pm
quote : #2
Expect a first generation port of a PC game. The graphics are a bit crude, but the story is rather original and surprisingly good.

I bought Omikron new for around $4, and I got pretty far into it before accidentally deleting my save file. I must admit that I found it to be a pretty engrossing game. Omnikron is set in a futuristic world, that is reminiscent of Blade Runner, and the environment is really expansive for the age of the game. You can explore all parts of the city similar to GTA III by either walking or driving to destinations. If you drive your hover car though, I think it pretty much goes on autopilot. You can examine buildings, apartments, stores, etc. That roaming really helps you get into the world, so to speak.

It's been a while since I was playing it, but I seem to recall the story revolves around solving a murder. The major twist with it, is that you are reincarnated as someone else each time you die - sort of a body jacking kind of thing. For the majority of the first part of the game I was a futuristic police detective. I then ended up dying in an encounter, got thrown into another body, and then ended up deleting my VMU file in an unrelated incident. Embarassed

Now that the sting of losing my game has pretty much worn off, I've been thinking of picking the game back up to try again. I found it to be pretty entertaining, but I bet it's not for everyone. Don't expect a futuristic Shenmue, because that it ain't. Still, it's cheap enough to try out, if you can find it.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:50 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Plus it has a scantily-clad David Bowie.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:58 pm
quote : #4
Einhander wrote:
Plus it has a scantily-clad David Bowie.

Shocked

How are my little crackers doing today?
darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:33 pm
quote : #5
its kinda like shenmue
Posted:
Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:37 pm
quote : #6
I don't think there is a bigger Omikron fan than me.I've played through it a few times(trying different characters and such)and just put another 25hrs into it a couple weeks ago.It was,and still is my favorite Dc game(and I have them all),at least in the adventure catagory.I enjoyed Shenmue too,but there is something extra special about the world of Omikron and it's characters.It's just plain cooler or something,who knows.I even played the hell out of the First Person Shooting segments and the Fighting segments in that game.I remember reading that this was Quantic Dreams first game.I remember that EGM gave this game like a 2(out of 10) or something.I'm glad I paid no attention that review!

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:51 am
quote : #7
i think it is a fair title which is definately original to say the least but its quite difficult to find the storyline some times, i like the fights what i can remember of them anyway, you dont really die you just carry on playing but didnt win if you know what i mean, it has storyline for those who arent so awesome at its different types of gameplay. i quite liked the level designs and enjoyed walkin around and popin in different stores and checkin out the features. it is cool but i dont have much patience for games like this sometimes. i think i will try it again soon as it kinda reminds me of syndicate, dont know why, anyone else find that?
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:45 am
quote : #8
Ya this was a very unique game graphics wasnt up to par but it was a good story line and a very interesting game definately worth the couple bux it is now Wink

tbone687
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:38 pm
quote : #9
I can not recomend this game. Its extremly moraly disturbing. With sexual exibitation everywhere you go including
homosexuality and stores that carry sickning adult products.

This game is worthy of an adult rating. I felt sick after playing this game.
The worst thing was, as far as I got, I could not see how all this garbage had anything to do with the story.

Anyway, thats my 2cents
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:09 pm
quote : #10
tbone687 wrote:
I can not recomend this game. Its extremly moraly disturbing. With sexual exibitation everywhere you go including

This game is worthy of an adult rating. I felt sick after playing this game.
The worst thing was, as far as I got, I could not see how all this garbage had anything to do with the story.

Anyway, thats my 2cents

If it happens in real life then it can happen in a game. Sexuality, including homosexuality has been in games for years, so I don't see why it's a shocker to you. Very Happy Hell, at least you don't rape Native Americans like you do in the Atari 2600 version of Custar's Revenge. lol

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:34 pm
quote : #11
tbone687 wrote:

I felt the presence of sexuality added to the grittyness of Omikron. The game may not be the pinnacle of realism, but it was fitting for the game.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:38 am
quote : #12
I need to track this game down. Are the controls decent? How's the camera?
Posted:
Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:44 am
quote : #13
My Toy's R Us here in Ny has a ton of Omikrons for $10 each.They even have a couple Saturn games hanging around(Hockey or something).But hold on a second-where is homosexuality in Omikron?As I said,I'm an Omikron 'master' and I have no idea what your talking about!
I know there are a couple prostitutes in the game who just stand there,a sex shop thats good for a few chuckles,but gay guys?Only thing you might mean is when you focus on certain characters,your character say's "There's a body that can shelter me for awhile".HE DOES NOT MEAN SEXUALLY!Whan your character says that it means you can now 'focus' and TAKE OVER THAT NEW BODY.Your 'nomad soul' has a new place to stay,or a new 'shelter'.Gutter brains!

Stewy01
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:54 pm
quote : #14
Wow, I really need to check in on this more! It sounds to me that this is indeed a very unique game, as it seems that everyone here has a different opinion of it.
Posted:
Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:47 pm
quote : #15
its a pretty good game lots of diffrent funny things in the game u can go to diffrent strip clubs and get private dances it cost some steks (cash) of coures and u can go to many other adult shops and buy adult thingys and the battle arenas r my favorite u can fight for money in the arena the game has lots of things to keep u busy i guess i would call it a x-rated shenmue