Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Sea-Monkey
rank 5
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:59 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
There is a new 'Homebrew' Dreamcast Magazine titled "Dream On" that will be arriving shortly.
It will sell for $5 an issue and will include a FULL GAME in the first issue.Support is needed to keep this project alive.It could be a quarterly(or even better)magazine.Please visit Dcemulation.com's homepage,and scroll down to the June 27th update concerning "Dream On Magazine".Show your support by voting there if you will/won't buy it when it's available.
I find this to be some the the greatest news for us hardcore Dc'ers since the new,free homebrew Pso severs became active(which we can't talk about here-shame!).It just shows again how much love and devotion so many Dc users have.

zeldafanatic15
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:06 am
quote : #2
I am definently going to buy the magazine. I hope it really is a success. I just came into the Dreamcast scene a few weeks ago, but I have become addicted. I have gotten many games already for it, as I live in the US BTW, and have a keyboard and mouse for it, including browser CDs. I love the Dreamcast, and the only reason I believe it failed was it was too advanced for its time. Shenmue is a great example. I love that game. Unfortunantly, people just don't understand the game. Sad really. The Dreamcast is awesome. I am amazed by how futuristic it is for being made in 1999. I will buy the magazine, and I hope others here follow suit.
rank 6
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:29 am
quote : #3
I am going to buy, I just hope the game is good, but I as a DC fan and part of Umbaquaw (I meen the leader) have to buy magazine.
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:34 am
quote : #4
Before you all jump to conclusions, this is a homebrew magazine, featuring largely 2D games... that don't really look very professional but are pretty fun. So dont expect to find reviews of Soul Calibur or things of that sort. I'm very interested myself.. but i'm not a big homebrew person myself, so.... dunno

Syndalis
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:40 am
quote : #5
Hey now,

Some homebrew games look absolutely amazing, such as Beats of Rage. I anticipate that as the development tools come more and more into their own, we will soon have some REALLY amazing homebrew apps and games out there.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:19 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U/C
Syndalis wrote:
Hey now,

Some homebrew games look absolutely amazing, such as Beats of Rage. I anticipate that as the development tools come more and more into their own, we will soon have some REALLY amazing homebrew apps and games out there.

Beats of Rage used sprites from commercial games. It was a tribute to Streets of Rage, using King of Fighters character sprites. They 'borrowed' character sprites, aka stole. The game was always labeled as a tribute game and not officially original.

Beats of Rage is a tribute compilation. It is not a homebrew game.

Its a mod.

---

On the topic of the homebrew scene. The reason why most of the games look rather unprofessional is because programmers are not typically artists. And vice versa. For instance, take me. I am an artist. I am not a programmer. I can design, do 3d modeling, websites, print work, animation in both 2d and 3d. However I am not skilled in application programming beyond web code.

Most programmers make some prety solid running dreamcast homebrew games, the code is great but their artistic skill lacks. So the games lack pollish and are typically unprofessional. Eventually down the road I bet teams of people will be made to create more professional dreamcast products. However for the moment the Dreamcast homebrew scene is comprised of amateur programmers seeking out accolades from fellow forumites at local dc homebrew forum hangouts.

There are a select few in the homebrew scene that are in it for their own honest personal interest, and are serious about the work they do. The top select best who put out high end material come to mind. In the end it's gonna take a team of 3-5 people with individual skills in programing, interface design, and artistry, to really pump out some games that have that polished look and appeal. Some of the recent homebrew releases commercially released at lik-sang were looking pretty spot on as professional releases. A complete game.

---

As far as DreamOn magazine. I feel it's a good step in keeping the interest alive in the dreamcast scene. As long as there is a continual and growing output of work from developers, then there will be ample material for such a magazine. As far as actually purchasing the magazine this would depend on the professionalism of the magazine itself in both literary and visual output.
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:37 pm
quote : #7
couldnt a said it better myself nikon Wink i would like to see the mag. just hope its proffesional and worth the 5 bux their asking for i kno some of the fee is for support but i mean if its gonna continue it needs to be alot of mags sold and good content.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:56 pm
quote : #8
I think I could lay down a fiver to help support some fellow DC fans who are only trying to increase the amount of widesrepad information on the DC in general, and especially it's homebrew scene.
_
BoR may have ripped off KoF when it came to the sprites, but the game didn't write itself. I see it as less of a "tribute game" and more of a group of people discerned over Sega not releasing a Streets of Rage sequel on the Dreamcast, so they went about making their own. While it may seem like cookie-cutter software to some, it still took skill and effort to put together, and I applaud Neil for making the port.

I have a feeling the SNK doesn't plan on taking legal action against the Senile team for intellectual theft. I also think that for a group of people to make a game good enough to be sold available to anyone and everyone who wants it free of charge is an admiral thing.

darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:20 pm
quote : #9
where would u be able to buy the magazine, store, online or what.s
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:39 am
quote : #10
aflyingcow wrote:
Before you all jump to conclusions, this is a homebrew magazine, featuring largely 2D games... that don't really look very professional but are pretty fun. So dont expect to find reviews of Soul Calibur or things of that sort. I'm very interested myself.. but i'm not a big homebrew person myself, so.... dunno
I never said that it wouldn't review commercial games - in fact one of it's biggest features is the commercial market in Japan. It also has a retrospective of the 9/9/99 US launch games - so do expect to find reviews of Soul Calibur or things of that sort. Wink

Oh, and I think you will all find that there are programmers and artists working together to make awesome games for the Dreamcast already. Several groups have been formed, but they wish for their projects to remain secret. Also, since this site is devoted to online connectivity of the Dreamcast, I'd say it would be wise not to make fun of the homebrew games. They are your only chance for new online Dreamcast games, and there are infact several online homebrew titles in the works. Smile

2004 is going to be a big year for independant Dreamcast development.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:34 pm
quote : #11
Einhander wrote:
I think I could lay down a fiver to help support some fellow DC fans who are only trying to increase the amount of widesrepad information on the DC in general, and especially it's homebrew scene.
_
BoR may have ripped off KoF when it came to the sprites, but the game didn't write itself. I see it as less of a "tribute game" and more of a group of people discerned over Sega not releasing a Streets of Rage sequel on the Dreamcast, so they went about making their own. While it may seem like cookie-cutter software to some, it still took skill and effort to put together, and I applaud Neil for making the port.

I have a feeling the SNK doesn't plan on taking legal action against the Senile team for intellectual theft. I also think that for a group of people to make a game good enough to be sold available to anyone and everyone who wants it free of charge is an admiral thing.

Yea I understand BoR took time and effort and is a well put together piece. All I was saying is that it's not an original HomeBrew game. It's a modification, a compilation tribute to other games already released.
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:48 pm
quote : #12
this seriously sounds really really really cool, man!

I swear if it was less than 5 dollars, I would buy it!

Posted Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:49 pm:

does anybody know if you can send a money order of if you have to have a credit card?
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:56 pm
quote : #13
Are there any promos about what the first issue will look like? 5 bucks an issue is just as much as standard magazines go for in stores. So I hope these are presentable as far as the paper and graphics.
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:24 pm
quote : #14
What's so bad about $5?It also includes a disc with the mag.Check the url at the top for more info on content and such.

limpbizkitfan943
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:49 pm
quote : #15
true. I was going to the beach tomorrow, and then thinking about trading/buying a Sega Saturn from somebody at this site (check the topic looking for a Sega Saturn) and after all that if I have any money left, I'll prolly subscribe. do you have to have a credit card or can you send a money order?