Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:08 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
lordnikon wrote:
Are there any promos about what the first issue will look like? 5 bucks an issue is just as much as standard magazines go for in stores. So I hope these are presentable as far as the paper and graphics.

You've got a point. I think I remember reading that the guy said it was to be "professionally printed", but since that definition could mean anything, who knows what the end-product will be.

Even if it was a total rag, five bucks seems not too bad. Maybe the author will be impressed with my stunning manipulation of the English language and let me write editorials...

</absurd egotism>

MetaFox
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:46 pm
quote : #17
lordnikon wrote:
Are there any promos about what the first issue will look like?
Once I get the magazine printed, I'll put up a scan of the finished magazine.

lordnikon wrote:
5 bucks an issue is just as much as standard magazines go for in stores. So I hope these are presentable as far as the paper and graphics.
How many magazines with a bundled CD do you find selling for $4.95 US? This magazine is priced way lower than comparable magazines, and I don't even have advertisements to offset the cost of making it. It comes with a pressed CD - I'm paying a huge amount of money for the CDs and the professional printing. I need to sell more than 250 copies just to get my money back. This has never been, and will never be, a project for profit. It's meant to spread interest in the Dreamcast community. This has been in the works since 2002, and I haven't released it until I found a suitable way to release this in the most professional manner possible. The cost of making a magazine is a lot more than most of you realize, this is no simple PDF project. I haven't opted for a newsstand-quality magazine, as that is prohibitively expensive (more than 5 times the current cost of this project). The quality is still very good, and well worth the $5, considering you get a CD with your magazine. If the magazine does well enough to warrant ads by companies like Lik-Sang and Lan-Kwei in the future, then the quality of the magazine will certainly improve.

But, the future of the magazine is up to you. It's a magazine by Dreamcast fans, for Dreamcast fans. I'd like to think that there are enough dedicated Dreamcast affectionados to keep this magazine going for years, but it's success lies squarely on the sales of this first issue.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:34 pm
quote : #18
Meta Fox I checked U topic at Dcemu and well Im on board. 5,- are not 2 much for a mag which comes with a CD. My old atari jag homebrew mags were sold around the same prizes.
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:17 am
quote : #19
I keep asking, and nobody says anything: do you have to have a credit card?
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:43 am
quote : #20
so call me stupid but where are we getting this from? i read thru the thread but couldnt see anything, i'm quite looking forward to this mag, should be a nice boost for the community.
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:24 am
quote : #21
limpbizkitfan943 wrote:
I keep asking, and nobody says anything: do you have to have a credit card?
No. Money orders will be accepted as well.

ultrapro wrote:
so call me stupid but where are we getting this from? i read thru the thread but couldnt see anything, i'm quite looking forward to this mag, should be a nice boost for the community.
Once it becomes available, information on ordering will be made known from cyberdogcastle.com.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:09 am
quote : #22
MetaFox wrote:
Once I get the magazine printed, I'll put up a scan of the finished magazine.

Excellent I would love to see this. I already plan on purchasing one.

MetaFox wrote:
...It comes with a pressed CD - I'm paying a huge amount of money for the CDs and the professional printing. I need to sell more than 250 copies just to get my money back. This has never been, and will never be, a project for profit. It's meant to spread interest in the Dreamcast community. This has been in the works since 2002, and I haven't released it until I found a suitable way to release this in the most professional manner possible. The cost of making a magazine is a lot more than most of you realize, this is no simple PDF project. I haven't opted for a newsstand-quality magazine, as that is prohibitively expensive (more than 5 times the current cost of this project). The quality is still very good, and well worth the $5, considering you get a CD with your magazine. If the magazine does well enough to warrant ads by companies like Lik-Sang and Lan-Kwei in the future, then the quality of the magazine will certainly improve.

Sounds fantastic. I'm sure at the level of quality you are releasing this as, the hardcore dreamcast scene will definately jump on board to support this. How many pages will the magazines be?

MetaFox wrote:
But, the future of the magazine is up to you. It's a magazine by Dreamcast fans, for Dreamcast fans. I'd like to think that there are enough dedicated Dreamcast affectionados to keep this magazine going for years, but it's success lies squarely on the sales of this first issue.

I'd say it all depends on how well the marketing goes of the first issue. Hopefully you meet that 250 selling goal, and the production of the 2nd issue is a bit easier. Do you have a primary website up for the magazine? Let me know when its available for release. I'm assuming their would be online related material covered in the site over time? If so then I would more than be happy to make a news post about it on the front page to drive Dreamcast gamers to check out this product. Also hit me up if you need me to do any journalism for this down the road. I'd be happy to contribute.
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:42 am
quote : #23
Metafox, all this reminds me of when people like Dave Halverson and Steve Harris started those great magazines we know of today as Diehard Gamefan and EGM respectivly. They got their start as fanzines and later grew to mammoth popularity....well EGM did at least. Anyway, you can count me in. I look forward to seeing the articles on the current state of the Japanese commercial DC scene and also I hope to see not only features on homebrew games but apps and emus as well. Best of luck!
Posted:
Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:57 pm
quote : #24
This magazine looks like it's going to be good. A decent homebrew mag, for any console, is much needed. The CD coming with DreamOn also sounds like a great extra. MetaFox, what game(s) will be on the CD? I read it was Beneath a Steel Sky, but I recall reading that a while ago, and I was wondering if there might be multiple demos on the CD. How will the CD work? Will it be selfboot, or will a bootdisc be required? However it turns out, I'm looking forward to buying the first issue, $5 sounds like a small price to pay for this mag + CD.

Good luck with DreamOn, and I'm also looking forward to the release of Chikugoyaku and the demos for the other stuff you're working on.
Posted:
Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:19 pm
quote : #25
Type: NSTC-U/C
I am chomping at the bit to get that magazine. When exactly will it be available? The disc alone will be worth the price i am guessing. Especially since I have a hell of a time d/l and trying to burn the homebrew games.

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:15 pm
quote : #26
I'm for it ,I will go add my vote for yes.
EDIT
8/21/05
Darn I had the last post in this...
Anyway on sega.com there's a post saying it will finally become a reality in september !
EDIT (again!)
Apparently the deadline for it was changed to the last 2 weeks of october.
http://boards.sega.com/sega/viewtopic.php?t=40806

Last edited by DaMan on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 pm
quote : #27
Whats metafox's official word on this? As the thread at sega.com seems to have mostly taken place around august, and september has come and gone.
Posted:
Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:53 pm
quote : #28
On his website he mentioned that
he's waiting for 120 pre orders.
He only has 70 up to this point.
www.dreamon.cyberdogcastle.com
is the website for his magazine.
I'm pretty much done holding my breath for it,sadly.I think it would be wise to just sell it now,because I haven't pre ordered,and I'm sure many of you haven't either,but if it gets released I'd buy it in a flash.

TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:35 pm
quote : #29
Does anyone know what the disk will contain

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:44 pm
quote : #30
I believe its supposed to have homebrew games I don't know what those games are though.
some maybe familiar to those use to the homebrew scene.