1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:12 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
As many of you have already heard the pooling of Sega's development resources has already begun. One of Dreamcast online's most prolific and heartfelt developers, AM2, is now defunct. Stripped of it's title and now absorbed into the single collective of sega developers. Great online compatible games including Outtrigger, F355 Challenge, and Propeller Arena have come forth from the genius minds at AM2. Effective today, July 1st all business operations at AM2 are to be transferred to SEGA Corporation.

In the process all AM2 websites are being moved to alternate URL's.

The reason I bring all of this up is F355 Challenge. What will happen to this game? Will it still stay up at it's current web address? Or will it be pulled down. It seems like we are always fighting the clock. We never get enough time dig ourselves out of the hole, until the earth starts sinking below our feet pulling us in deeper.

From the research I have gathered F355 Challenge seems to run through CGI scripts hosted on the internet at the following domain address's:

http://f355.sega-rd2.com/cgi-bin/f355/dp3_player_data.cgi
http://f355.sega-rd2.com/cgi-bin/f355/network_play/entry.cgi
http://f355.sega-rd2.com/cgi-bin/f355/elimination.cgi
http://f355.sega-rd2.com/cgi-bin/f355/final.cgi

This could be player data or the game actually runs its network mode through these cgi scripts. I havn't verified this 100% yet. But the theory is sound.

Regardless of my accuracy in analyzing the games network functions, F355 need's its packets logged. So if anyone has a PC-DC setup running where they can log incoming and outgoing packets please do so! This is a cry for help. Please anyone and everyone log whatever packets you can and send us the dumps so we can host them here on the site for future use. In order to program an alternative method to taking a game online packet dumps are necessary.

There are a variety of different packet loggers out there on the net. If you don't know how to do this or the technology is beyond your grasp then please do not bother. Getting a DC connected to a PC and successfully logging packets takes patience and technical trouble shooting expertise.

Different software logs packets in different ways. So it's possible for some packet logs to be more detailed and complex than others.

We will put up a page hosting all packet dumps so future programmers can take advantage of the information if they see fit. So if anyone has the current immediate capabilities and knowledge to do this, now is the time. If anyone has any packet dumps email or pm me here on the forums.

(NOTE: If anyone does happen to make personal progress with an alternate method to getting a dreamcast game online, please remember: Make your code and software open to the community. We understand that even though you put your own personal time into it. However, harboring the server code is just the same as Sega not releasing server code to us gamers. I find it ironic that some gamers say "If only sega would release the sega software", then when they make a breakthrough and develop working code, they do not release it and force gamers to only use their server/setups. For shame. If you program something please make it available to the community so everyone can host. This is about preserving and strengthening Dreamcast online, not oppressing it.)

Last edited by lordnikon on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:38 am
quote : #2
also, F355 has a pretty robust in game website. anyone with arciving experience PLEASE save this stuff. or if anyone can point me to some guides and good programs to use ill do it.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Morph
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:05 am
quote : #3
Well, if i knew F355 Challenge's website, I might be able to make a cache of it, but that is about all i can do. If Syndalis had a Coders Cable, he could obtain the necessary packets from it. If I HAD it, I probably could be guided through it. But, alas, Coders Cables are hard to come by.

Syndalis
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:54 am
quote : #4
Well....

the packet dumps are not dependant upon a coders cable, thankfully...

all you need is a router that is capable of logging ALL network activity, bit by bit, into a set of files viewable on your PC. Many programs, including the one Nikon pointed to, accomplish this with only a small amount of work.

Alas, I do not own f355. I was planning on getting it, but anyone with a PC with a modem AND a BB connection, and a DC with a modem, please PLEASE take the time to rig up your PC as a host dial-in machine, routing through you BB connection, and log EVERYTHING your dreamcast says.
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 am
quote : #5
I might have a coders cable that I can lend someone if they need it.

cheers
Q

Last edited by qatmix on Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:25 am
quote : #6
I've always held out hope that someone will find a way to play this game online the way it should have been done. By that I mean like it is when you use the link cable. I still think it's gonna happen someday but will probably come later via emulation. Anyway, F355 online seems to be a very simple setup and I think, unlike some other DC online games, that someone will figure it out. (SEEMS to be simple, didn't say it was ) Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:52 pm
quote : #7
M1Savage wrote:
I've always held out hope that someone will find a way to play this game online the way it should have been done. By that I mean like it is when you use the link cable. I still think it's gonna happen someday but will probably come later via emulation. Anyway, F355 online seems to be a very simple setup and I think, unlike some other DC online games, that someone will figure it out. (SEEMS to be simple, didn't say it was ) Smile

This will never happen. This is like trying to laminate peanut butter to a live dog. Not possible. The serial ports are completly different and do not run on standard internet protocols.
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:07 pm
quote : #8
Careful with saying never gonna happen. Smile

In 1999, and I still remember it to this day, someone told me there was NO WAY IN HELL that you could copy Dreamcast games to cdr. Just couldn't be done. As of about 2 years ago, there was also NO WAY that the Dreamcast would or could be emulated on a PC either. Heck, I remember when I read online that someone was working on a (forbidden subject) for PSO and I told em no way.

Having said all that, I see your point and you're most likely right. Laughing

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:29 pm
quote : #9
Steering back to F355, I really hope that something can be worked out. While I haven't personally played it per se, I still don't like the idea of it being in total limbo. I would reccomend that we contact AM2 to determine what exactly will happen to the URLs that Nikon provided earlier, but we all know what happens when we try to contact anyone related to Sega to gain information about anything even remotely related to DC online:

Nothing.

Anyway, I would like to reiterate Nikon's implorement that anyone capable log anything and everything that your DC says whilst playing Ferrari F355 Challenge. I don't want to hear someone say "another one bites the dust".

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:54 pm
quote : #10
AM2 didn’t say a thing about taking the game offline, Sega of Japan even announces when they remove content from in-game websites like downloads so I’m convinced this will not happen as nothing has been said about F355 (checked in-game website and nothing is there either and they post info there too before removing content or online functions). Logging the packets should be done regard less of this for all DC online games. I just checked and Isao.net runs the F355 server, not AM2, maybe a bit of over reacting w/ out knowing the facts but I think at the moment any Sega run game is in some danger

SonicArcade
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:26 pm
quote : #11
If someone can log all the incoming/outgoing packets and/or archive the sites, they definetely still should. Even IF it's not run by the AM2 website, then Sammy may still shut the online capibilities down to cut costs. This is basically just a wake up call to all the people who are able to log packets for online games, but I'd say F355 is a top-priority right now.
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:40 pm
quote : #12
well, dang, im getting the game, but i have no way to find the packets....

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:27 pm
quote : #13
oh man, its at high risk now, never played too muh of this game, last game was about 2 weeks ago with brock, and before that was like months Sad

but also, PSO is ran and mantained by sonic team right? what does it mean for PSO!?

I HOPE to GOD this has no effect on the games, if we were to lose two games, one a legendary one still living a pretty healthly life on DC, and lose th last of the games ran by Sega would be quite depressing. and man, oh man, i would be so pissed at Sammy, as the sun-diviosions merging is completly an effect of them.

so me and my friend are gonna get some quick f355 and pso in in fear os losing. if anyone happens to be readin you can join, though witht he exact time thing on f355 probably wont be able to catch us.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:56 pm
quote : #14
Sonic Team is retaining it's title and development team. It's the only one out of the groups that will retain is development title in future products.
Posted:
Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #15
Probably because Sonic Team is the only one who still makes money on a regular basis.

I heard that Sega is going to publish The Matrix Online. Hopefully this game will be incredibly popular, and will make Sega lots and lots of money.

Neutral
/\

Let us all pray, like the emoticon above, that The Matrix Online makes Sega lots and lots of cash money.